Very Disappointed In This Year's Squirrel Season

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by davers, Aug 29, 2019.

1. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    1B99402F-A715-4786-8704-DE03C29FB573.jpeg Broke out the 16 gauge this morning. Haven’t used a shotgun in years. It’s always been a .22. Lol
    Anyway killed 4. Left rest for another time.

Carl, barney, Meatstick and 1 other person like this.
  2. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    My brother usually hunts with a gun identical to it. Eat well!

davers likes this.
  3. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I normally use a .22 Rifle for my Squirrel hunting, but this year I've taken my total of "5" with my .410. These gray squirrels are very different critter than a fox squirrel, which I was use to hunting back up in Indiana. Up there I always used a rifle to take my Squirrels, got the limit of 5 several times during a season. Down here I haven't yet got the limit of 6 squirrels in living here 11 years. Got 5 during December after M/L season, a couple years ago' seems like I have better luck during late season.

4. Meatstick

Meatstick 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Auto 5, or Model 11?
    I love the old humpbacks. Auto 5 Light Twelve is about all I use for small game anymore

5. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    Well it don’t have that written anywhere. It’s a Remington sportsman 16 gauge made on the browning patent. But one guy told me it was a model 11

6. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Underground Bunker in KY
    I haven't been yet, too hot. With my eyesight, I might have to use a shotgun.

7. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    I’ve seen more squirrel down low, crossing roads and creeks than I have in the hills. Unusual for this time of year

davers likes this.
  8. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    I usually don’t go either but the mornings have been cooler but I’m not gonna go back till colder weather

Carl likes this.
  9. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I went this morning, area on my property, that is low and has running creek. Didn't see one Squirrel! Went back to my usual spot near a hickory tree: saw one and got him. Poorest season I've seen in my 54 years of hunting Squirrels!!

10. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Yes very poor so far. I plan on going out tomorrow. I’ll post what I see

davers likes this.
  11. HuntsItAll

HuntsItAll 8 pointer

Jan 23, 2009
    A hunters paradise
    Took my son out this morning and my woods are full of squirrels. They generally are, but today was the first time I’d been in the woods after them to really see for sure. Been saving it until I was able to take him hunting. Now I’ll have to go get me a couple. Love taking different guns out and shooting a couple at a time!!

davers and OLE RASPY like this.
  12. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Happy to hear someone is having luck this Squirrel Season. I bet you have field corn in the area you are hunting too. I've been hunting Squirrels for 54 years now, and this has to be one of the poorest seasons, since I moved down here to Central Kentucky. I've seen lots of Deer, so I am thinking that Deer Season will be much better thank Squirrel season this year, usually one see more Squirrels than Deer sitting in a ladder stand.

13. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Poor, bad weekend. Even my go to honey hole where I take kids hunt’n showed almost no signs of cutting..heard one squacking and saw nothing..
    I can’t remember the last time I hunted that spot without killing a squirrel let alone not see one...
    Saw three on the road next to creekbanks on the way in..
    In my experience if they are down low this time of year they are looking for something that they can’t find up on the mountain.. probably water with this drought

14. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I went Squirrel hunting yesterday morning, figured that if I wanted to bag some Squirrels I wasn't going to bag any by staying in my house. Well, I have a spot that has numerous Hickory trees and Oaks, so I figured that my chances of bagging any would be here. Sat there for almost 3 hours and saw nothing, decided to try another spot where I've seen some, on past hunts. Sat there for around 1 1/2 hour and only saw one, so I bagged the Squirrel and when I went over to pick it up, I was stunned as to how small the Squirrel was!! Just a bit larger than a Rat; I've been seeing a lot of these smaller Squirrels and they are different than our regular Grays, being much smaller. I Googled Gray Squirrel Species and found that this Squirrel might be a Eastern Douglas Gray Squirrel, which are smaller than regular grays, are a bit more brown, and have a browner head. Never seen any before this Season, since living here 11 years. Seemed strange to me, but I was able to carefully dress it but not much left in terms of meat. Going to place it on the grill and cook it this way. ~Truly Strange~ a17162010397629906eebaccf596b95f--raccoons-squirrels.jpg

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    KYBOY likes this.
  15. Did a short hunt this weekend. The cooler temps helped. Spotted six all from one location and bagged two. One was almost black. Very dark. Sorry no pics. I had one crawl off after getting hit hard with a 22lr. I hate that happening. Saw two on the ground. Thought that unusual for this time of year in heavy timber. Had one fall out of a hickory and hang up in the forks of a tree limb about half way down. Was unable to shoot it out of the tree. What luck. Encouraged to be seeing some game though. Still been a rough year so far. Stopped at the city park just to watch a few squirrels and make sure I remembered what they looked like.