Verdict on TSS

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by ky.longbeard, Feb 9, 2019.

1. hoene

hoene 6 pointer

May 8, 2012
    Northern Ky
    Could be spring break.

2. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    All three kids have home schooled. I work from home (anywhere with wifi) and Cheryl has a flexible schedule at the hospital. Lets us travel, hunt, fish, go to the beach when the crowd is gone, etc. Works out well. She came home and helped skin the turkey, vacuum packed it for the freezer, and then started school for the day. They are all either finished or just about to for the school year.

mudhole crossing and Capttrae like this.
  3. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 10 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Any 410 shooters tss here.

4. bullet225ho

bullet225ho 6 pointer

Oct 25, 2004
    Crooked Creek
    Yep,

410 and 28 gauge here.

5. ancienthunter

ancienthunter 6 pointer

Dec 25, 2011
    Over the Hill
    Well I decided to try the TSS loads, I bought a 935 last year after giving up on my 835, it was a turkey killer but also a shoulder killer too. I wasn’t pleased with my new gun results and tried two-three chokes I had with no improvement, I was starting to regret selling my 835. So after reading a lot of reviews I bought an Indian Creek choke. Got really good patterns at 40 yds with Long Beard XRs but I was wanting to get back to a 50 yard gun like my 835 so I bought a box of Federal TSS in 7&9 shot, they patterned as well at 50 as the XRs did at 40.
    So I now I was ready, after a couple of unsuccessful trips the first part of season yesterday morning I set up on a bird. I couldn’t get very close because the woods is so open. I did a little calling while he was in the tree to let him know where I was and after he flew down I reminded where I was at. He was coming to me following an old log road, after he didn’t see the hen that was yelping he started up a ridge toward a neighbors property, he was 42 yards when I shot him. The good news is he only flopped once after I shot him, the bad news I’ve never seen so many shot in a turkey. Which isn’t a bad thing if it’s in the head and neck but had a lot of shot in the body. Part of that was my fault because the gun was shooting a little low but man he was tore up, worked on my sights today.

6. Drahts

Drahts 10 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    I can tell you that coyote I shot the other nite the ruined my hunt is not a fan of the TSS. I loaded some 2 3/4" 1.75oz loads and it rolled his ass good!

Capttrae likes this.
  7. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    I've wondered about that.

I put a 3" load of 6's a little low and spent a lot of time cleaning for a dozen or so pellets.

8. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    Damn yotes! I got set up on a ridge the other morning and didnt hear a gobble at first light. so decided to do a fly down cackle as I knew there were birds around just couldnt figure out why he would not gobble. Soon as I done the fly down sequence a yote from a ridge over came a running straight to me like his hair was on fire. Once I realized what was charging me ( it was dry and I could here his every step) I turned and got ready to shoot him soon as he got to me. He was about 15 yards and trotting right at me when I clicked the safety off my 935. I swear that damn thing heard my saftey click and stopped on a dime right behind a tree. Then he musta caught my wind cause he turned on a dime and ran out of dodge. Luckiest damn dog in my county that day I can bet that. if he had just been a foot or two to the left or right I would have made him eat that 3inch mag. no wonder the dang turkeys didnt gobble on that farm that morining. Hell any peep and a yote will come running right at you.

Anyway. Soon as I shoot up the rest of the winchester xr shells I got i will try out the tss just to see what they do in my gun. Im gonna say now its gonna be hard to impress me more then the xrs do in my guns. They are some good shells for the price imo.

Capttrae likes this.
  9. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Just a thought, with the amount of shot ,in a number nine or even a seven, wonder what would be the damage ,to surrounding birds .If a shot taken at say fifty yards or farther ,how much of a spread would it have.I’ve used the heavy weight federal shells, in a # 5 ,at fourty yards ,it flat cut blackberry briars into.

10. Ol' Mossy

Ol' Mossy Fawn

Sep 14, 2013
    I can tell you, in twenty gauge, you are handicapping yourself by not using it. No reason to be cheap when it comes to turkey loads. The first one this year was at twenty-five yards (which any traditional load would have worked), and the second one was at fifty-one yards. I was using a 2 3/4" load of number 9's in my twenty gauge. I would not have shot that far (actually misjudged), but I do an extensive amount of pattern testing.

11. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 8 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Ky
    Yep real good in the 935 of mine to. I shoot 3.5” 6 shot WLB

12. ancienthunter

ancienthunter 6 pointer

Dec 25, 2011
    Over the Hill
    The XRs are good but the TSS shells are much better at least in my gun, Mossberg 935 with a .675 Indian Creek choke. Every year I have to buy a box of whatever the latest and greatest shells are so when I bought the IC choke I tested Federal TSS and 3rd degree, win XR #5, Hevi 13 magnum blend, Win Supreme, Federal Double X and Remington Nitro #4’s. The Rem Nitro were the worst, I wouldn’t trust them over 35 yds. The Double X, Supremes and 3rd Degree were next with a 40 yd limit. The XRs and Hevi 13 were real close, patterned great at 40 could probably go to 45 yds with these. The TSS patterned great at 50 and I would trust them to 55 yds.

So if you want to limit your shots to 40 yds for the money you can’t beat the XRs if you are like me and get tried of that bird that locks at 50 yds and don’t mind paying $8+ a shell get the TSS.

Also if anybody would like 4-5 boxes of Remington Nitro 3.5” #4’s I can make you a deal, they worked great out of my 835 I’ve killed birds at 55 yds with them but my new gun doesn’t like them at all.

13. dustyroads

dustyroads Fawn

Oct 25, 2014
    Been using the tss in 410 and 20 gauge for several years now.
    It's a winner all around in my book. My son took his first bird at age 7, with a 410 gun that he was able to shoot well and also didn't handicap him in the woods distance wise. I want him to enjoy hunting and not develop a flinch or be scared of a gun that recoils to much for him. I know opinions vary but for me it is a win win.
    I shoot the 20 and to get more shots on target than with my 12 gauge, in a lighter easy to carry gun with less recoil I couldn't be happier.

14. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I just refuse to pay that much for a shell. I started off with 2 3/4 inch shells and killed turkeys. I use the 3 inch XRs and they do fine. I don't need to kill a bird at 70 yards.

Capttrae likes this.