Venison Tenderloin & Steaks

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by Rabbitdawg19, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Rabbitdawg19

Rabbitdawg19 8 pointer

Jun 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    One of my favorites. I marinated the meat for 3 days at room temp. 1 day in the fridge and long enough to bring it back to room temp. Cut it with a fork.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  2. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY

Fork tender because three days at room temp is called ROTTEN.
    Bet ya didnt have to chew either....:confused:

3. Rabbitdawg19

Rabbitdawg19 8 pointer

Jun 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    thats not true phillie. I learned a lot from an old book I read when I was a kid about how the indians the cured their meat. They would debone and hang their meat for 15 days to eliminate the wild taste and to tenderize it. Altering the temp. of the meat acts as a tenderizer.

4. headoftheholler

headoftheholler 12 pointer

Oct 16, 2007
    Getshot, KY
    Wouldn't all the Indians meat have a wild taste? If all they ate was wild game, how would they know what meat tasted like without it? :confused:

5. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
    To each their own. Did you take any pics, or did it kind of just run off the plate?

6. turkeytalker

turkeytalker Banned

Nov 3, 2004
    Guess alot of people have never gave a deer to amish or even saw one for that matter:eek:.

Never saw them eat a deer under a week hangin in the barn, even in september.

Still sounds scary to me though!

7. headoftheholler

Oct 16, 2007
    Getshot, KY
    Now I will ask my processor to hang my deer in the cooler for a week to give the enzymes a chance to tenderize the meat. Of course my processor will give you the meat you brought, not like some of the other larger places where you don't know whos meat you are getting.

8. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
    Bottom line is that Wabbitdawg19's meat was not aging it was rotting.
    And no I have never given a deer to the amish. We don't have any up this way, more north ohio-And I dont go there. He killed the deer maybe last year cut it up and then froze it them thawed it. then 3 days a room temp-one day in the fridge and then-brought it back to room temp again.

Hope you aint too far from the ER or toilet paper, could get funky FAST!:p

9. headoftheholler

Oct 16, 2007
    Getshot, KY
    I've seen deer that were left out in the sun too long and the fat will go rancid, not to mention the bacteria.

10. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
    that and dripping all kinds of nasty stuff. Ever seent he flys that show up? need a bb gun to knock them down...

11. muzzy125acc

muzzy125acc 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2002
    PULASKI CO..
    So the bottom line is lay it out forget about it then cook it:D:D

12. Haves

Haves 8 pointer

Feb 17, 2007
    Union ky
    17% of Whitetail may have E. coli according to this article.
    I was look for an article from a couple of years ago when an entire family almost died from eating a deer hung at 50 some degrees for 3 days in a barn. You need to hang a deer at low temperature. You are going to get sick eating meat left out warm for three days.

And it is "rotting" that breaks down the tissue on aged meat to make it tender.
    http://www.dailymail.com/News/200901040342?page=2&build=cache

and this.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1200/is_6_158/ai_64697779/

13. headoftheholler

Oct 16, 2007
    Getshot, KY
    Where exactly are you getting your information from? Neither link supports your theory (that is false) about rotting being behind ageing meat. From the USDA:
    Tenderization is caused by the enzyme [micro]-calpain degrading some muscle proteins. The scientists believe industry shouldn't sell meat before it has aged for 14 days because steaks are more likely to be tough. But those extra days add considerable cost to production because of the requirements for space and controlled temperatures.

Not all meat reaches the same level of tenderization. The [micro]-calpain breaks down muscle proteins, making meat tender.

calpaincal
    n.
    A proteolytic enzyme that is regulated by the concentration of calcium ions.

See here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calpain

14. DBELL

DBELL 6 pointer

Oct 9, 2007
    Murray, KY

Sounds more like a laxitive!:eek:

15. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Getting sick from E. Coli comes from meat carlessly contaminated by intestinal tract contents, and then being under cooked........not from aging.

Thats why all "burger" should be cooked well done, because it could contain scraps of meat that came in contact with E.Coli. Solid cuts like steaks and roasts are essentially sterile inside, thats why they can be eaten rare....with relative safety.