velvet euro mount?

Discussion in 'Taxidermy' started by woodsman92, Aug 22, 2020.

1. woodsman92

woodsman92 8 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    anyone got or ever seen a velvet euro mount? Never seen one, thought maybe if I was to harvest a early season buck I may have this done

2. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 10 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Theres a bunch of pics online

3. jblack1

jblack1 12 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    I have a velvet skull cap from a 10 point that I took 2 years ago on opening weekend.

It's too hard to get the skull completely clean and not damage the velvet.

Big Jo on here did mine for me, I highly recommend him.

4. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    I did a European Velvet Mount a couple of years ago. It takes some time, alittle harder, but looks good.

Go to McKenzie Taxidermy website or catalog and order “Velvet Tan”. I still have some, it’s downstairs.

Go to Tractor Supply / Rural King / Stockdales / Southern States, or anywhere they sell livestock medication. Buy some big ol’ syringes.

when you kill your Velvet Buck, get right on it, probably hot. Cut off head and put in the freezer for later. Take care of the meat. Then, when ready get the head back out. Cape, take our eyes, remove bottom jaw and prepare like any other euro mount prep. The difference now is, you need to treat/preserve the velvet, that is where the syringes and chemicals come into play. Wear a face shield, goggles, long sleeves, and pants. Don’t get that crap on you - it will happen even when you think it won’t. Your job is to find the veins and inject into the velvet - some will go in easy, some will not, and some will spray it right back at you.

Once you get the velvet all treated, then prepare and complete the European mount like usual.

It takes a while, but is doable and as a matter of fact, one of my favorites.

5. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    I had patterned a good deer early, had him coming like clockwork or on a string. I knew if things did not change, there was a good chance I was going to kill him. So, I had time to research. There is not a lot about velvet euros. I was told, it can’t be done. But, I bought the stuff anyway. It worked out awesome!

6. countryboy3006

countryboy3006 6 pointer

Jan 28, 2015
    Northern KY
    I used the same stuff on a velvet buck I killed a couple years ago. I just cut the skull plate off instead of trying a euro mount. It was my first velvet buck and my best buck with a bow. I was afraid of ruining the velvet so I put it on one of the iron buck skulls. I thought it turned out pretty good.

7. jblack1

jblack1 12 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
  8. clovis67

clovis67 6 pointer

Aug 16, 2008
    Those turned out awesome.... it’s definitely a lot more involved than doing a hard horned buck.I have been seeing a new product advertised called Velvetlok and its made by Velvet antler Technologies.Designed to spray on velvet antlers and preserve the velvet.Looks interesting...anyone used this product before?

9. Muzzy Moment

Muzzy Moment 8 pointer

Sep 8, 2011
    Eastern KY
    I have one I found during Blue tongue in 2017. I just skull capped it and left it in freezer with nothing on it for 6 months and it freeze dried the velvet. Looks just like it did when I found it now.

CRFmxracer likes this.
  10. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    067AAF66-4F2D-46E7-944F-6ACEB17E517C.jpeg Still drying, finishing up this one.

woodsman92 likes this.
  11. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    Pic

12. Muzzy Moment

Muzzy Moment 8 pointer

Sep 8, 2011
    Eastern KY
    It laid in creek a couple days before I found it but I think it turned out good

Attached Files:

Ataulbe1 likes this.
  13. Muzzy Moment

Muzzy Moment 8 pointer

Sep 8, 2011
    Eastern KY
    Here’s another closer pic

Attached Files: