Varmint Rifle Suggestions

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by grouseguy, Sep 9, 2015.

1. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    Oh no not Rifleman....RIP little buddy. I was going to do some serious coyote slayin now that our elk hunts over, but I'm scared to go in the woods now with so many mt lions running around.

2. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I have started using tree stands and a 300 win mag just in case.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

3. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    Won't help, them things climb trees, they'll get ya on the way to your stand.

4. CKYoutdoors

CKYoutdoors 6 pointer

Nov 30, 2011
    Well I have hunted several counties in that area and never heard of any cats to be around. By all means send me the picture of the mt sterling cat, Id like to see it. It wont come up if I google Mountain Lion will it?

5. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Its all pretty much been coverd up by KFW.
    I won't night hunt I've heard the screams to many times just going into the house from my truck. I wish something could be done I feel like a prisoner sometimes.
    Rest in pieces truerifleman270 we will miss you buddy.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

6. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    I am husband on budget, I use my old 30 30 scope marlin. Nothing fancy cheap shells gets job done. But its not a long range rifle ad you already know. But fun to lever a few rounds and see yote hit ground

7. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    Any center fire rifle should kill most kyotees dead. Except for the really big ones.

Seriously, if you have a deer rifle, you have a coyote rifle. Don't spend a bunch of money on specialized equipment until you decide you are going to stay with coyote hunting. Lots of people try it and then quit a short time later.

8. Cougar

http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/...ve-mountain-lion-investigation-322733721.html

I miss stated the location. It was Bourbon Co. I cannot seem to post my pic from work due to access restrictions. The same pic is on the WKYT link along with others. This link to the story implies that the Fish and Wildlife folks want to claim it was a pet. That may be true and if it was the only encounter that I knew about, I too would be inclined to discount it. But it is only one of nine or more encounters that I personally know of:
    1.) 1974 I saw one up close near Langley, KY in Floyd Co.
    2.) 1985 myself and two others saw one in Knott/Brethitt (near the line) over close to the old Starfire mine while dirt riding.
    3.) 2014 My sister had a dog killed in her yard by one in Floyd
    4.) About two weeks later another one (or the same?) attacked two more of her dogs injuring both severely. It escaped before she could get her shotgun.
    5.) 2014 The one in Bourbon Co. was killed by Fish & Game officer.
    6.) 2015 my sister had a 3rd encounter with one while hiking on her farm.
    7.) 2014 or it may have been 2013 I was shown a photo of the Mtn Lion killed by KSP officer in Fleming, Co. The person who gave me that pic works for KSP and saw the cat himself when the officer brought the body to the Morehead Post. This same official claims to have seen one multiple times on his property in Eastern Rowan Co.
    8.) 2012 I saw tracks of one in Greenup while hiking in the summer after a rainy week. I lived in Greenup from 1988-2012 and my work colleagues have spotted them in that region for more than 20yrs on a regular basis, mostly near the southern banks of the Ohio River.
    9.) 2013 an acquaintance from Knott Co claims to have spotted one while deer hunting.

One or two of these, I would say sure, but there is a pattern and it is repeating over and over in the Floyd/Knott, Fleming/Rowan and Greenup areas. Enough for me to think that if there is smoke, there might be a fire. Mtn Lions are territorial and roam over a wide range. Is it possible that we may have small numbers that have established territory in those named regions? Maybe, maybe not. It has been decades since I have personnally seen one. They are rare and very shy about getting close to humans. Neither of the two I saw were pets. Nor was the one my sister saw (she thinks all three of her encounters were the same cat). DNA testing of the Bourbon county lion indicates it was from the Black Hills in the Dakotas. That is a long distance for one to have roamed. However, In 1960 there were no coyotes in KY at all. They crossed the Misssissippi River in the mid/late 70's during cold spells that froze that river and others. Since that time, they have migrated East steadily and now have been sighted even in New York City. If we DNA tested those animals, would they also exhibit western DNA strains? Just a thought. Fish and Game do not want to accept that Mountain Lions may be re-established in KY. So, they have a bias to interpret any data they can find to support that hypothisis. That is "My" opinion. And as such we all have one. My opinion is that they exist in the Appalachian hills and have existed in small numbers all along. They follow the food sources. With the improved management of the Eastern deer herd and the addition of the Elk, they have returned to the area to join their place in the heirarchy of the animal kingdom.

Irish

9. bdbrown66

bdbrown66 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    I grew up in eastern Ohio, Jefferson County. That is the tri-state area where Ohio, WV, and PA all come together. Two or three years ago, a state conservation officer watched a mountain lion for several minutes in that area. Is it living there? Maybe...there are plenty of old strip mines, etc. with lots of rough country where it could hide out, and plenty of deer, turkey, etc. to eat. Or maybe it was just passing thru. Who knows? The point is, it's not unheard of to see them this far east.

10. mulehead

mulehead 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2009
    in the hills
    As many trail cameras are out in the woods in ky if cougars lions and tigers are out there. People would be posting them, not saying they are not.