Varmint Rifle Suggestions

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by grouseguy, Sep 9, 2015.

1. grouseguy

grouseguy Cyber-Hunter

I'm mostly a shotgun guy that now has a coyote problem. We've had a few around for years, but lately it's getting to be a problem and I'm ready to declare war. Therefore, I'm looking for suggestions on a decent set up for coyotes (not looking for junk, but don't want to spend a fortune either) or if any of you die hard varmint guys would like to help out, shoot me a PM and we'll discuss it. The farm is in Carter Co. close to the point where Carter/Boyd/Lawrence meet.

2. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    I just picked up a Savage 93R17 17HMR for pest control. It's the non accutrigger so I will be getting an apache trigger upgrade for it, but I think the retail around $225 so for less then $300 you could be punching holes in yotes. I got mine on clearance from walmart for $99. I also have an AR I use but I got a lot more into that.

3. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Just use your shotgun get some lead BBS or "4 buck your good out to 50 yards.
    But if you want a rifle ruger Americans are cheap or the savage axis in 223 or 22-250 both shoot great.
    Try and hookup with someone who can show the the ropes its worth it.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

4. grouseguy

grouseguy Cyber-Hunter

Thanks for the info guys ... the farm has some long bottoms, so I could have shots out to 200 yds.

I have an electronic caller, but I'm not opposed to tagging along to learn from those more experienced.

5. KYT

KYT 8 pointer

May 3, 2008
    Eastern Ky.
    Tufrthnails, that savage 93r17 is one fantastic buy for $99.

6. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    Tell me about it first thing out of my mouth was do you have another one. They didn't but I got my eye out for for another one. My son loves shooting it. My son also has a Ruger american compact in .243. Good rifles. I am a Savage guy. Got a 111 TH in .270 that shoots half inch groups consistently at 100yrds with hand loads. To the OP if you can get hooked up with someone up there the biggest thing I have found with yotes is your ambush position. I've used cheap mouth calls, electronic calls, bait. The biggest thing is figuring out where to setup your ambush.

7. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I bought a CZ Model 527 carbine in 7.62 X 39 m/m back in July, for Coyotes and even Deer. However, I was only able to fire the rifle 25 times, as issues suddenly developed. I was checking the open sights on it on September 4th, and after the detachable 5-shot magazine was empty; I couldn't remove the magazine. I had to take the barreled action out of it's stock in order to remove the magazine. Tried the other spare magazine and it did the same thing, and neither magazine will go back into the rifle; I've tried everything to fix this issue but no luck. NOW I am having to send the rifle to CZ to see what the issue is. I have another CZ M-527 LUX in .222 Rem. and it is great, also have one of their Model 452 in .22 LR I use for Squirrels and it also is very accurate with no issues. Can't figure out why I am having this magazine issue with their M-527 carbine in 7.62 X 39 m/m. I am thinking I got a defective rifle, and CZ is dragging their feet on this issue, by not being very responsive.

8. 30-30

30-30 8 pointer

Aug 26, 2011
    set up I assume you mean more then just a rifle, learn to use a mouth call, I love electronic calls (my FoxPro) but when it gets cold, or the batteries go dead etc.. you have a back up, don't get discouraged, coyotes are hard to hunt,
    if you don't want to spend the money on a FoxPro, the eotech call is pretty nice for less then 100 bucks, but if you have the money pony on up for a FoxPro you wont regret it, I prefer a .223 over a 22-250 because of ammo price etc...I am using a smith and Wesson m and p 15 and love it.

9. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Stay away from mini 14s fun to shoot but as accurate as a red rider bb gun.

10. grouseguy

grouseguy Cyber-Hunter

I'm looking for something more traditional ... not a big fan of semis. As far as set up, you'll have to trust me ... It's permanent and pretty sweet ... think in the middle of long narrow mowed bottoms and brushy/wooded hillsides and the coyotes are there and need thinning.

The e-caller I have is the Primos Alpha Dog ... I've killed a few with it using my .30-06 ... Just looking to find a decent varminter.

I've spent some time on gunbroker and gunsamerica doing research on your suggestions, Thank You. I'd like to find something by the time I return from WI in November.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  11. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Be carefully buying a used 22-250 they can be shot out. I like the 223 but the 22-250 is just so flat of a shooter I like it better.

12. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    FWIW I have a Howa 1500 "predator package" in 22-250 that I would recommend if you prefer a bolt gun. It's lightweight, barely any recoil and very, very accurate. Whole gun comes camo dipped. Scope is a Nikko Stirling NightEater, never heard of that brand but it's crystal clear, gathers light well and I've not had to touch the adjustment since it was sighted in 3 years ago. $750-800 range depending on caliber.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  13. 1badDart

1badDart 6 pointer

Oct 30, 2012
    KY
    Look at the Savage Axis II Trophy Hunter or the Model 11 Trophy Hunter. The model 11 will run right at $500, but there is a $75 rebate. If you want stainless look at the model 16. I like 22-250s, I have a Savage model 12 FVSS in a Stockade Stocks Elk Stalker that is death out to 500 yards, but it weighs over 12 pounds. I have three Savage rifles and everyone of them are accurate.

14. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I'm partial to mine ..... but look for a Stevens 200.

Which I don't think Savage offers the Stevens centerfires any more but they were relatively inexpensive ....but solid guns. They were built off the old 110 actions and were shooters. Find a decent one used and their around .... you will have a good varmint gun.

I bought mine back a few years ago chambered in 22-250 ... specifically for yotes / predator hunting. Which most I've killed have been under a 100 yds with my furthest being around 165. But on paper I've stretched it out to around 385 yds with more than exceptional accuracy.

Which I have nothing against a .223 , 204 Ruger or even a 243. But ballistic wise .... hard to knock the 22-250. Just a great round.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. F250Stroke

F250Stroke 10 pointer

Jan 22, 2007
    back in the woods you see
    T/C Venture in .243 or .223 are excellent! I have both and love em. The .223 is the Predator model, its my go to gun. I also have a .223 in AR that I am going to use this year. Try the TCs, you will love em.