Varmint hunting using 7.62x39 ammo

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by stevetford, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Hoosier5

Hoosier5 Banned

Sep 6, 2004
    Northern Taylor Co.
    Thanks, Tom. I bought the stock from Midway USA back around 1995, when they had a good price on them. I believe the stock is made by Rhinehart Fajen of Warsaw, Mo. It was a "Drop-in" stock that required very little had fitting. I replaced the issued 10 shot Magazine with a non-detachable 5-shot one and removed the hardware. After this my SKS seemed to shoot more accurate. I've never taken it hunting but rather just shot targets with it. A very interesting rifle and FUN to shoot!!:)

2. don't know what they power difference is between winch. and wolf, but wolf uses the berdan primers which are really corrosive.

3. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    Also, I don't like the steel casings that wolf uses sometimes.

4. Hoosier5

Hoosier5 Banned

Sep 6, 2004
    Northern Taylor Co.
    I had one case rupture on me while trying them in my Ruger M-77 bolt action rifle! But no harm done. YEP, Wolf ammo is slightly corrosive too!!:eek:

5. Manzanita

Manzanita 12 pointer

Apr 16, 2006
    Telecheck 018
    Berdan primed does not automatically mean corrosive:
    http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=88728

I usually use Silver Bear in my Cowboy Companion but I did run a few hundred rounds of some white box Russian stuff I picked up a long time ago at an area gun store. Both were Berdan primed. I know the Silver Bear isn't corrosive and I'm pretty sure the other stuff wasn't.

6. Auk1124

Auk1124 10 pointer

Hmm, I've bought and shot a lot of Wolf pistol ammo, never noticed any corrosion issues. Stinky and dirty powder, but no corrosion. :confused:

7. Tom Threetoes

Tom Threetoes 10 pointer

Oct 4, 2002
    southern Indiana.
    Thanks Steve, kinda expensive ain't they? Tom.

8. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    Same here! :confused:

9. Hoosier5

Hoosier5 Banned

Sep 6, 2004
    Northern Taylor Co.
    You might want to avoid using the ammo made in China as I am certain they are corrosive.