Varmint hunting using 7.62x39 ammo

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by stevetford, Jul 7, 2007.

1. stevetford

stevetford Fawn

Jul 2, 2007
    Ballard county
    Hello guys. New member here and somewhat of a new resident of Kentucky. Anyways, I have become very interested in coyote hunting as I have many cattle and chicken farmers in my area needing help with the coyote population.
    I currently own a few SKS semi-auto rifles that fire the 7.62x39 round and mostly mil-surplus ammo is used in either hollow point or soft point. One of my SKS's has been sporterized and I would like to use it as I see it should be no problem calling in the coyote within 100 yards. My question is though, is this a legal round for varmint hunting in Kentucky? I have been told and later read on a Kentucky wildlife web-site that this is illegal for deer, but no ammunintion limits other than 10 gauge shotgun limit for varmint hunting is listed.
    If anyone can answer this, please let me know. Hopefully real soon I can begin sharing my coyote hunting experiences with every one. Thanks guys.

2. westkybanded

westkybanded 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2004
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.
    Absolutely legal for yotes AND deer. Tons of deer killed every year with an SKS.

Someone is going to jump on you for using that caiber for varmints, but pay them no mind. It'll do the job quite well, and there's no need for anything but your mil-surp ammo.

Kill em all!!

3. stevetford

stevetford Fawn

Jul 2, 2007
    Ballard county
    Well then I must have mis read the law concerning deer hunting. Anyways that is good to know because I really like the SKS and was looking forward to some deer meet this season. Thanks for the information.

4. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    SKS is fine, but your situation gives you the excuse to buy another caliber weapon. If the 7.62X39 is all you have that is great, but a man can take this opportunity to expand and build his arsenal, maybe 22, 22 mag, 223.

5. stevetford

stevetford Fawn

Jul 2, 2007
    Ballard county
    EXACTLY, that is what I am trying to avoid. When I bought my first SKS I told my wife that it was the only rifle I would need for a long time. Well then a week or 2 go buy and I purchased another SKS (this one all original and I promise it will stay that way :rolleyes:) Then a few weeks later I put a Saiga in .223 format on layaway. I really have my heart set on a Bushmaster Varmiter but the price is just not going to allow me to purchase it any time soon. I would also really like to have a AR15, but again out of the price range for now. Then there is that really nice bolt action I have been wanting................................

6. Manzanita

Manzanita 12 pointer

Apr 16, 2006
    Telecheck 018
    That's what I use for yotes. Like you, I'm not doing long range shots with it or anything. My SKS is a great coyote gun.

Legally, no problem. I don't think there is any ammunition restriction for coyote hunting. I've been thinking about a Tannerite stuffed decoy bunny... :D

7. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    Only thing I can think of is there might be a restriction on FMJ rounds for deer?

8. westkybanded

westkybanded 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2004
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.
    I told you.....

As far as FMJ for deer, there are loads of cheap reworked military rounds out there that are hollow point and soft point.

9. Manzanita

Manzanita 12 pointer

Apr 16, 2006
    Telecheck 018
    That's right. Forgot about that one.

10. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    I wasn't jumping on him. I like any kind of rifle, especially if it gets you out of the house and in the woods. I see this as an opportunity to expand the man toys. I have a few 7.62X39 rifles myself, with probably close to fifteen hundred rounds. That doesn't stop me from getting a variety of calibers.

11. Hoosier5

Hoosier5 Banned

Sep 6, 2004
    Northern Taylor Co.
    The 7.62X39 m/m is a fine little cartridge. You should have no problems bagging coyotes at ranges under 125 yards. I would try some of the Brass Cassed ammo like Winchester though as you'll find these more accurate. I also own a sporterized SKS with a peep sight and found it very accurate especially with handloads. I've taken several Deer with my other 7.62X32 m/m, a Ruger M-77 MKII bolt action, at ranges under 100 yards. I normally use 150 grain bullets (made for the .30-30) for Deer.

12. Manzanita

Manzanita 12 pointer

Apr 16, 2006
    Telecheck 018
    I don't think, at ranges less than 100 yards, there would be that much of a difference in accuracy in using the Winchester stuff at over ten bucks a box (20 rds) instead of something like Wolf, Silver Bear, or the like.

You may already know about the SKS and the need in this particular rifle to keep the bolt/firing pin clean. I've read that the Winchester and Remington ammo has softer primers than the milsurp or Russian made and can increase the risk of a slam fire. I have used both kinds before without any problems, however. You probably won't have any either but it's good to be aware of the extra risk with the SKS rifle because of its free floating firing pin.

13. Hoosier5

Hoosier5 Banned

Sep 6, 2004
    Northern Taylor Co.
    I've not had any "slam-fires" on my Sporterized SKS using USA made ammo. The Russian ammo is fine but I found it not as accurate as our cleaner burning (USA) ammo powder. Photo of my SKS below.

[​IMG][/IMG]

14. stevetford

stevetford Fawn

Jul 2, 2007
    Ballard county

The first mod I did to my first SKS was install a spring loaded firing pin to prevent the already mentioned slam fire. I also wanted to try some of the US made ammo after I get the rifle where I want it and see just how accurate I could fire this thing at 100 yards. Have not made it there yet, but am hoping to soon. Thanks again guys for all your input.

15. Tom Threetoes

Tom Threetoes 10 pointer

Oct 4, 2002
    southern Indiana.
    I have had slam fires with Winchester white box ammo in my Russian SKS. None with Wolf brand. I'd like to know more about the spring loaded firing pin, please. Tom P.S. Nice looking stock, Hoosier