Vacuum sealer

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by dpowers, Dec 27, 2015.

1. dpowers

dpowers 6 pointer

Jun 26, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Seams like we have to replace our sealer every few years was wondering what everyone is using and how long they are lasting? We usually process 3-4 deer a year not at one time and rarely use it for anything else.

In in the past foodsaver brand has been the one we used. Reading reviews I found the foodsaver gamesaver is more for high volume packaging and maybe that is what is causing our issue.

Thanks
    Dave

2. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    My Foodsaver is 6-8 years old, has done 10-12 deer. I don't think it's a heavy duty unit but it's held up so far.

3. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    We run two Gamesaver Deluxe models and two of the Realtree sealers from Weston. One tip to keep them from overheating (shortens life when motor gets to hot and shuts down during high volume work) is to get flat, reusable ice packs and flip a cookie sheet over them. Set the sealer on the cookie sheet above the cold pack. Pretty much does away with overheating problems

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  4. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    I've got a food saver but don't know the model...it's black. Anyway, I used it to vacuum and seal about 80 bags this season. It ran pretty much non stop for most of it. Never got even warm and never missed a beat. It may die tomorrow but so far so good.

5. chadwimc

chadwimc 12 pointer

Oct 29, 2004
    Earth
    I've had the same one for about 10 years. I've replaced the gasket twice. They're just a few bucks from Amazon. If your sealer won't get down to the proper vacuum, check the seal first.

6. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    Couple of us went in together 2 years ago and bought one of the commercial grade vac sealers from Cabelas. It was a couple hundred bucks but holy crap can it pack meat. We killed a couple of the Food Savers before we got it. Packed a bunch of deer and a couple hogs with it so far and nary a hiccup.