UTV's

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by coyote1758, Sep 10, 2013.

1. coyote1758

coyote1758 6 pointer

Oct 10, 2010
    nicholasville ky.
    How many of you guys use utvs to hunt. What kind and would you recommend them?

2. browningshutr

browningshutr 8 pointer

Apr 18, 2009
    Northern Ky
    I have a Polaris Ranger and wouldn't trade it for anything.
    I use it a lot for hunting, but of course, I am not going to ride very close to my setups.

I wear it out when trapping and hauling out deer too. I hardly get on my ATV anymore.

3. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    title supposed to be UTV?

4. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    I'm guessing his auto-correct "fixed" it.

I have a rhino and love mine for hunting. The rangers are nice too but the bench seats don't hold you as good and all the ones I've rode don't hold themselves back on a steep hill worth a crap. They're probably more comfortable on flat ground but I've been around several in the mountains and I don't care for them as much. My rhino has 4500 miles on and I've had zero trouble other than a rear cv joint that broke on me the other day. I'm a big Yamaha fan but I'll admit I am trying to talk the wife into a new Polaris, just not a ranger.

5. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 12 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    I know the price is up there but in my experiences the best out there is the Polaris Ranger. The aftermarket accessories are almost endless. They climb almost anything, pull almost anything. Have great ground clearance. Air intakes are hi up if the need for a water crossing arises. They are great in the mud and the cargo area with the ability to dump the load is very handy.

6. I have a Ranger EV (A Golf Cart on Steroids). Very quiet and dependable. Can be driven very close to where your making your stand. Over the years I have had quite a few ATV's and have found the Polaris brand to be very dependable. I know a lot of people who have owned the other major brands (Honda, Kawasaki etc) and they have had good luck with them also. Most of all DRIVE SLOW and BE SAFE!!!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  7. KYBOB

KYBOB 8 pointer

Dec 26, 2009
    Barren Co.
    Has anybody noticed if the prices for the ATV's has come down since alot of people are into UTV's.? Never had either one, but I'll bet they are handy and fun!

8. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    I don't think MSRP has come down but you can get some killer deals at the dealership on 2013 atv's right now. I bought a Polaris 850 just a few weeks ago.

9. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    I bought my first UTV a little over a month ago. There has not been a single day that I have not used it for something on the farm since I bought it. I am 10 years late....this should have been my "Second" UTV. So much more versital than an ATV 4-wheeler. It is a Polaris Ranger and I am satisfied with it...got the last 2013 on the lot and the $500 rebate made the decision easier.. Doubt if you can find any 2013 left by now.
    Hunting?? Don't know about Coyote hunting with it.....seems it would be hard to sneak in on them driving a UTV. But I suppose I will give it some use this winter maybe.

10. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    JRinKY, when I had a Kawasaki Prairie 300, I eased on a lot of coyotes, going into the wind and stopping in an advantageous spot in relation to where I was going to take a stand. It helped on a lot more coyotes than it ever caused a problem on. Took an awful lot of work and sweat out of the overall deal. Good luck to you on your UTV.

11. JR, I have a Ranger EV. I have actually driven my Ranger to a group of trees out in the middle of a field and then sat against the front tire and called. Have calle & killed several coyotes hunting within 25 yards of where I park the UTV. My new Ranger is Electric and is really quiet but I have done it many times before with a gas engine. I usually sit for 5 minutes before I call to let the area settle down a little bit.

12. BT Game Calls

BT Game Calls Spike

Aug 16, 2012
    Nancy Ky
    Dont have any idea who makes the best or any of that ,but I have a kubota diesel that is a really a hard worker but really loud But that being said the farm coyotes dont mind it any more than a tractor except when i shoot some of there family from it!!!!!LOL

13. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    I am now on an orange diesel as well. It sounds and moves like a tractor that's for sure.
    I am intrigued by the Ranger EV though. Good idea...

14. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    I thought it was illegal to hunt from a vehicle of any kind unless you have a disability exemption??

15. I really like the Ranger EV for hunting. If your wanting to ride trails and spend a lot of time on a UTV then I would do a gas or diesel Ranger. The Ranger EV is perfect for what I use it for which is hunting coyotes. Stealth is part of coyote hunting and if your using a ATV/UTV for that----then you will love the EV. They have a lot of torque and are really good off road under any conditions.