use of coyote urine or red fox urine at call site

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Kcoyboy, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Kcoyboy

Kcoyboy Banned

Feb 28, 2008
    Will the use of coyote or red fox urine at a calling site help? Since coyotes are territorial and mark their turf with urine and the fact that they hate and will kill red foxes wouldnt spreading out some scent help? inother words if lets say a coyote is coming in slowly but isnt convinced wouldnt the scent of another coyote or red fox at the scene make him want to come in closer? Also wouldnt it help mask human scent that might be blowing the wrong way?

2. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

It will not mask human scent if that is what your thinking. It will not be a help in that department at all. We are talking about an animal that can distinguish many diferent scents at great distances .

The art of misting has been around for quite a while though. It is just coming to the forefron with the makers of calling products. Misting is a mix of several diferent urines used as a lure or to create a territorial response in coyotes. It is put at cross wind locations to atract the attention of the animal trying to get down wind of your position. By smelling the scents on the wind it thinks it has found the reason for t racket and reacts according to it's mood that day.

Go to finsandfur.net and do a search for misting in the predaotr hunting forum there. Rich Higgins explains it's use far better than I do and he is one of those that has been using it for several decades. Jimmie

3. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    You'll have to make your own mind up as to the effectiveness of red fox urine and coyote urine. If you are using it to try to mask your scent, it is doubtful that it will help. Playing the wind properly is a lot more effective in that regard. However, using those scents and other scents such as deer scent as an attractant is an entirely different story. I have had coyotes who came in downwind of my decoy setup, where I had coyote scent out by the coyote decoy, stop and start barking and howling before they ever saw the decoy. I may not have seen them had they not sounded off when they 150 to 250 yds out. It has caused a lot of them to get graveyard dead. In my opinion, based on my experience, if a coyote hears a coyote and fox fight, sees a coyote and fox decoy, and smells coyote urine and fox urine, you have answered all of his questions and he is likely to come in. It is a lot of trouble to do all that, but worth it on certain setups, especially with problem yotes.

4. LBLDOG

LBLDOG 6 pointer

Oct 20, 2008
    murray ky
    misting is used for confusion,what I mean by that is over loading its sniffer , it will not mask your scent they can still disect all the diff. urines and including your scent. They say it just slowsthem down enough to get a shot. This technique is much bigger out West than in the EAST. The new PREDATOR EXTREME mag has a recipe in it for misting. My personal opinion that it is a lot of trouble to fool with, but hey give it a shot and try it ,it wont hurt nothing!!!!!!

5. gravescohunter

gravescohunter 6 pointer

Dec 1, 2008
    graves co ky
    In my opinion you could take a bath in fox pee, and to a coyote you would just smell like a human covered in fox pee.

6. Kcoyboy

Kcoyboy Banned

Feb 28, 2008
    Thanks yall think I will try it have only one place to call and its hunted a lot. question about the fox pro. I guess its as good as its played out on this forum. How many calls can be played on it? Is it easy to use and can you download new sounds on the net for it? Im currently using a Johnnystewart predator 2 with an external speaker. its loud and sounds real good with 2 rabbit calls a fawn distress and caynine distress. hey I know its not a fox pro but it sounds a better rabbit call than i can blow. And it goes out sixty or so yards for 35 bucks with no wire. ( external speaker costs more) what Im thinkin is if more people get the fox pro and misuse it it may become obsolete soon. and there goes $500. Just a thought.

7. Kcoyboy

Kcoyboy Banned

Feb 28, 2008
    one more question . How can you play the wind on a windy day with the wind shifting a lot? I guess thats a bad day and better off staying home right? Also how do you play the wind when its shifting a lot and not necessarily windyI guess thats hard too right? I live in northern Ky where there is a lot of brushy areas where i hunt but there are some open fields. Am I better off calling in the woods when i can get a 50 yd shot ( some scrub) or better calling on the sides of the fields where i can get a longer shot? Should the location of the speaker be on the edges of the field or out in the open in the middle of the field? Hey only got one shot last year at a coyote coming into a hand call ok . I am new to this. thanks again!!

8. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

How you think you sound is not that important. You sound good to a coyote as long as it is something hurting.

Windy days depend on wind speeds. Anything over fifteen miles an hour is harder than it has to be. For shifting winds get high as possible. Use those ridges and points to position the animals. Just give them a certain aproach lane to use , it will help.

If it is windy and fairly steady you can use those field edges to call down wind. But the winds have to be going out into the open parts of the field. As long as your scent is going out into the open at a slight angle to the woods edge it will work. The coyote will come to the edge and look first before it goes out there to wind you. It is more likely to come right up that edge in order to catch your scent getting closer all the time. Kill him before he hits that fifty yard mark where he might catch you. Jimmie

9. PJC

PJC Fawn

Feb 7, 2009
    Jimmie is right. Give the coyote an opportunity to get down wind of you. BUT shoot him before he gets there. Coyotes in the east do not act like coyotes from the west.
    www.predatorhunters.com

or type in "winter magic coyotes" on youtube.

Pat Cameron