Update on my new SX3

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by whitleycotrapper, Oct 29, 2015.

1. whitleycotrapper

whitleycotrapper 12 pointer

May 20, 2005
    Williamsburg, KY
    Haven't done any extensive pattern testing but the factory modified patterns well with three inch 2's and the full does really well out to 40 yards. Bought a carlsons turkey choke
    .665 and shot it at 30 and 40 yards. I was really impressed with 3.5 Winchester supreme #5's like I shot out of my 870. Took it out this morning for a break in turkey hunt. I'd seeing some odd colored birds with a lot of gold/bourbon red feathers in a field I can hunt the last few days around 9 am. Slipped in there about 7:30 and sat down. 4 hens came out at about 7:50 and walked right down the edge of the field. Picked out the big one, probably momma and took my first shot at a game animal with this new gun at 10 yards! Completely whiffed[emoji4]
    They all flew up in the air and landed about 30 yards out with the one I missed actually separated from the group. I didn't miss this time. I was pretty pumped and picked up my spent shells and walked out to my bird. Went to unload my gun and there was no shell in the chamber when I opened it? It didn't cycle the last shell and it was still in the tube. I pulled the bolt all the way back and it fed. Hope it's not something that keeps happening[emoji15]. Pretty bird for sure.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  2. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    Did you clean it after you bought it? Just wondering as they put thick oil on them from the factory. Never heard of a sx3 not cycling. Hopefully it was a fluke, but Id be shooting alot the next couple weeks to figure it out before season.

3. whitleycotrapper

May 20, 2005
    Williamsburg, KY
    Yeah. I took it apart and cleaned everything off. Lightly oiled and put it back together. I've shot probably 6 boxes of shells through it and just cleaned it again a couple days ago. Really wasn't dirty though.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Been shooting these because it specifically says on the owners manual it's not designed to shoot light loads of less than 1 1/8 oz. also been shooting a few Rio 3" 2's
    I've not had any issues until today. Time for shooting more has run out just about. Heading to Indiana for the weekend to hunt the early opener there. From the pictures little brother sent this morning we oughta be doing some shooting Saturday morning.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  4. javman

javman Fawn

Nov 6, 2006
    Should have bought a VersaMax :devilish:

5. whitleycotrapper

May 20, 2005
    Williamsburg, KY
    Lol

6. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Good one bud.

7. swampking

swampking 6 pointer

Oct 17, 2010
    I have a sx3 that does not like blind sides, but no problems cycling any other. It will not release the blind sides from the tube about half of the time.