Update on Long Range Weather Forecast

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by shaman, Mar 22, 2019.

1. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

The NWS has updated its long range forecasts.

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/

Between now and April 1, expect normal temperatures and above normal precipitation

For the first 2 weeks of April: Above normal temperatures/Normal precipitation
    For the month of April as a whole: Above normal temperatures/Normal precipitation
    No differentiation throughout the state of Kentucky.

If this pattern holds, it will mean the Trans-Bluegrass may have a rockin' Opener.

Remember, the NWS is not saying "Hot and Dry." It limits these predictions to above/below normal. "Above Normal" in this case could mean 1 degree above or 15 degrees.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  2. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

BTW: I don't know if you're seeing this, but this is one of the latest years I've seen for budding.

Usually, at some point in March, there is green showing on the bushes like Honesuckle, etc. This year: zip.

A lot of the folk sayings about turkeys and their hunting involve buds and leaves and such. "It's time to hunt turkeys when the oak leaves are as big as mouse ears." -- that sort of thing.

This all has to do with soil temperature. Bottom line: I think the soil temps are way low for this time of year. I'm just wondering how y'all see it.

3. KyHillyBilly

KyHillyBilly 6 pointer

Nov 25, 2013
    I'm itching to get out into the woods. Somewhat missed out on deer rifle season, wife had surgery. Then we get word that we are expecting our first kiddo this November.

Being in the woods is such a blessing. I sometimes without realizing will get frustrated with work, and life. One good day in the woods, cures all those woes.

PUBLIC RAT likes this.
  4. PUBLIC RAT

PUBLIC RAT 8 pointer

Feb 18, 2014
    I'll take above temperature over what we had last year. I had to wear deer hunting clothes and hand and foot warmers!

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  5. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

Ok, I'm in northern KY. Greenbrier, honeysuckle, etc. are starting to bud some. I think the lack of tree budding here is due to the extreme cold we had just a few weeks ago. Silver maple and elm along the river and backwater began budding in late February and the cold froze those early buds off which put them behind. There is emerging growth in the woods and warm days and nights above freezing will cause a fairly rapid green up.

6. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Same here......I'll be attacking the bush honeysuckle this weekend. A constant battle !! Just noticed the blooms/buds yesterday.

7. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

OK. I saw buds on the bushes this afternoon on the way from work. However, it's already spring. Usually, this is happening 2-3 weeks ago.

8. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    It’s supposed to get down to the low 30s tonight here.

The woods will be really open for the youths.

9. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    I hope openong morning is about 40 and no leaves on the trees. So i can call him through the open woods. :)
    Things are about normal here where im at. Gobblers what few there are left. That i have heard are gobbling a few on the limb on and a few times on the ground and thats it. Been hearing hens with them too on the limb and on the ground. ANYWAY. No matter the weather i will be there every day possible untill i run out if tags to fill. God willing.

10. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

I was out this AM trying to get audio for one of my podcasts. I won't say it was a complete zilch. I did hear gobblers, but they were few and distant and their gobbling was minimal.

11. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Why shouldn’t budding be late? I swear leaves don’t fall off the trees until December anymore! It’s crazy! Used to it seemed like by gun season most of the foliage was off the trees. Last 3-4 years seems like I can’t see 100 yds through the woods during gun season because of the leaves.

12. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    People that live close to where I hunt say they’ve been going carrying on for 3-4 weeks. I haven’t been to check for myself. It’s about 35 mins away.

13. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Listened for 1.5 hrs this morning but heard nothing. Did get some pics of strutting with hens though.

14. Keith Lilly

Keith Lilly Fawn

Feb 13, 2018
    Pike county
    I have hunted turkeys from Montana to South Carolina In all kinds of temperatures I believe it is mostly on amount of sun light which triggers breeding of course severe weather would slow it down some