Unlimited Buck's

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by deerhunter24, Oct 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Ssshh. That's top secret.

2. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    What county or counties do you hunt? Where are you seeing a decline? And in what type of habitat are you hunting? Have you looked at harvest data to compare year over year? Have you talked to a biologist in the county or counties you hunt?

If it weren't for the efforts of "Fish and Wildlife", sportsmen and women and other groups none of us would be seeing deer. I think your frustration might be a bit misguided.

3. EarlyBird1

EarlyBird1 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2014
    SouthCentral KY
    Here is what is so hilarious about the drivel your are posting. You are in Bracken County no? Bracken County is in fact a Zone 1 county which means unlimited does can be killed (presumably because there are plenty of deer).

Below are the 2016 Harvest Results to date for Bracken County vs the average of Trigg and Christian Counties. These are also Zone 1 counties that I can personally tell you have an absolute ass load of deer and a lot of deer hunters.

Bracken County => 58 Antlered Bucks / 93 Antlerless deer
    Trigg/Christian Avg => 60 Antlered Bucks / 95 Antlerless deer

So you see 2 things here. First there are clearly plenty of deer in Bracken County. Second... the hunters in your area are not exactly slaughtering the does at an historic rate. In fact like the hunters in Trigg/Christian they are not killing enough does. I hunt a farm in Trigg County and 2 years ago we killed 19 does and it wasn't nearly enough.

So what we've learned here is that either you don't have a very good hunting place and/or you aren't a very good hunter. You are also likely failing to understand that this year's historic mast crop is making the deer harder to see for the casual viewer such as yourself.

You are right though... let's change the Deer Mgmt strategy for the entire state of KY because you and your buddies have had a slow 5 weeks. o_O

4. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    The average harvest by Kentucky hunters over the last decade is approximately 120,000 deer per year. The ratio is about 55% bucks to 45% does.

Explain exactly how we are decimating the doe herd with those kinds of figures, and why we need to shoot more bucks.

5. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

Finally, someone asks for the biological impact of deer harvest, and the reasons why the harvest is set up the way it is. BF, be careful, you confuse the lad even more.

6. bah1286

bah1286 8 pointer

Jul 29, 2014
    Turkey are where the season needs to be opened up. Big game are thriving. Small game, especially grouse and quail are being destroyed by the turkey. It is nothing for me to see 100 or more while deer hunting. Darn things are still hard to hunt in the spring however so not sure if you opened it up how many people would be able to kill more than a couple in the spring. Maybe open up a rifle weekend on the. Where you can take 4 of either sex. I know it's a bad idea but I don't really know how you get control of them.

7. EarlyBird1

EarlyBird1 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2014
    SouthCentral KY
    Turkey numbers are actually down in some parts of the state the last couple years. Some say it was all the snow couple Winters ago and other say some kind of disease. It's raccoons and coyotes that we need to massacre.

8. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Not seeing the coyotes I use to but coons are definitely out of hand. May be due to all the corn they have access to as of late.

9. bah1286

bah1286 8 pointer

Jul 29, 2014
    I'll take your word that they are down in some areas but they sure are not where I am. It is very rare to see any quail or grouse anymore while they were plentiful prior to the explosion in turkey numbers. Although I would agree that coon and coyote numbers are also up. We have trapped and removed probably 25-30 coins just getting into feed the past couple months and have killed 7 coyotes since spring. Hadn't killed that many the past 5 years combined. I do think the numbers of coins and coyotes seem to go up and down a lot like that though while turkey numbers have done nothing but go up for about 30 years now.

10. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    Oh no no no, the KDFWR will not have it that a big flock of turkeys moving in and picking the ground clean like a Hoover vacuum cleaner has any affect on grouse.

11. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I know most deer hunters that feed corn don't care for coon, but there's sportsmen out there that coon are their choice of game. Got to be a compromise somehow.

12. rlb165

rlb165 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Deerhunter24, deer adapt to hunting pressure in a variety of ways. I've had deer on our place do the same thing as the deer in this commercial. Crazy!!

13. thunderchicken09

thunderchicken09 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    If it will keep outfitters out of kentucky I'm all for it.

14. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I leave for a few days an look what happens.

People start to post up data an ruin a good thing :p:(:D

15. kyarcher

kyarcher Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Garrard County, Ky
    I agree with that! The odds of getting caught poaching is very small and those that do pay a very small fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.