Unlimited Buck's

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by deerhunter24, Oct 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    There lies the problem, laws are only for the law abiding they will follow it to the letter, the poachers won't no matter what the consequence. Do you really think that getting your hunting rights revoked for life will stop a died in the wool poacher? Not a chance. They'll ride around in a beat up old truck w/ a wore out gun bc if they get caught it's no big loss, you can send them to jail, fine them, and they'll be right back out there doing it again.

rockhousehunter likes this.
  2. bow_hunter_42452

bow_hunter_42452 6 pointer

Jun 3, 2012
    I agree 100% with that

3. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I always thought giving a person an additional buck or turkey tag for reporting a poacher that leads to a conviction would be a great idea. It wouldn't hurt the population and it would give the caller another reason to report.

4. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 10 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    No doubt that's a problem but I think the bigger problem is the people that "legally" poach. What I mean by that is they kill their buck and continue hunting and then kill other deer particularly bucks and check them in with their spouse's name or sister or mother or whatever. This is poaching just the same but the deer is being checked in.

Brsutton86 and KYBOY like this.
  5. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 10 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    I think it would decimate our herd in zone 4 counties. I know people kill more than their share at times but taking it to 2 bucks wouldn't change that aspect at all. I agree that I don't care much for tele check other than the convenience, I loved taking it to check it in.

6. deerhunter24

deerhunter24 Fawn

Mar 4, 2009
    Bracken County
    I mean if it ok to have a unlimited doe harvest. Why not make buck harvest unlimited. Especially if all you guys say it ok to kill unlimited does.

7. 150PandY

150PandY BBBC Members

Sep 9, 2004
    Frankfort, KY, USA.
    Ok so I haven't killed a buck in 3 years because I'm waiting on something big. I'm not going to fill my tag with a 120-130" buck when I'm hunting a bigger one. I've been tempted many times by a nice 3 year old 130"! So my theory is if you allow for twice as many bucks to be harvested in reality 3/4 times as many will actually be killed. If I had two tags in my pocket I would have killed at least two bucks in the last three years while I waited on the big one.

8. rme hunter

rme hunter 8 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Breckinridge County
    We have one of the stongest herds in the country, so why would we change. Killing more bucks would only limit the amount of mature deer available. One buck limit, is fine.

9. nateb440

nateb440 8 pointer

Nov 8, 2011
    Excellent point. I'm in the same boat. Haven't killed a buck in 4 years but that's not because I haven't had the chance. I've had many opportunities--one big old MISS and the others passed. Had I had Two or more buck tags I'd take smaller bucks knowing I still had a chance at the mature deer.

10. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    Not according the OP," you can't have too many does " to quote him. This thread is pure troll bait from another thread

11. EarlyBird1

EarlyBird1 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2014
    SouthCentral KY
    The OP is either a buffoon or he's trolling.

The one buck limit ain't going nowhere. Kentucky is rising toward being the #1 whitetail hunting state for several reasons and that is one of them.

It is very true that some guys are killing more than one but those guys will be totally unaffected by a limit change anyway so their impact would be unchanged. There would however be a lot of people that would shoot smaller or "borderline" bucks because they know they have another tag in their pocket. I myself passed on the opportunity to even hunt a 140" ten we were watching in early September because I knew deep down that was not the deer I wanted to put my tag on. I would have probably hunted that deer if I had 2 tags. Maybe I would have killed him and maybe I wouldn't have but that sort of thing would get a lot of "borderline" deer killed that instead are surviving to either fill somebody else's 1 tag or... they are surviving to get 1 year older and bigger. You would also have a lot of kids that would kill small bucks and spikes during the Youth season and then get back out there during rifle season and they'd get another and better one. If anything I'd be fine with letting the kids tag one during the Youth weekend and then another later because we need them engaged and developing into the hunters of the future.

Regardless - More dead 1,2,3,4.. year old bucks this year means less living 2,3,4,5... year old bucks next year. There is absolutely no logical argument that can construe that as a good thing if a person cares anything at all about antler size/buck age.

Capttrae and littlebear like this.
  12. aquaholic218

aquaholic218 Fawn

Sep 6, 2016
    I live in SC and pay the out of state to come hunt in KY because the number of quality bucks here is very low. I live in the upstate and a 130" is a giant around here. The lower part of the state has a better bucks and a few more than other parts of the state but nothing like KY. I wish SC would adopt the 1 buck rule but it seems everyone here is satisfied with shooting three or four 100" 8 pointers a year instead of a 140-150" every three or 4 years. We have plenty of bucks here but their chances of reaching full potential are very low. Guys who have 600-1000 acres here and manage their herd properly are the ones who consistently kill big bucks. The average guy with a 100 acre lease that neighbors several other 100 acre leases will be competing with the "happy with a basket" crowd. There's plenty of research (and common sense) to support that limiting harvest increases the quality of future yield.

I don't get a vote because I am an out of town'r but if I did I'd say leave it alone, it ain't broke and more killing wouldn't be the fix if it was.

13. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I've hunted in the years that two bucks could be shot. This is what many guys would say..."Ill shoot one to get the pressure off and then wait for a big one." Now many guys will pass a 2 or 3 year old waiting for something special. With two bucks they would not have to do that. Even though there are a lot of scum hunters shooting more than the law allows, we still have many guys following the law and allowing a few more to reach that wall hanger size.

The one buck rule has done more for the trophy deer and to balance the herd than anything. It works so why try and change it?

Brsutton86 likes this.
  14. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    Just curious on how much you spend to hunt in ky.Lease ,lic,tags etc etc

15. EarlyBird1

EarlyBird1 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2014
    SouthCentral KY
    Nope - One buck per weapon is a terrible idea. So you are going to penalize the guy who challenges himself the most by only bowhunting by limiting him to 1 buck but allow the guys who are picking up every weapon at their disposal to kill 3 or 4 bucks? That is the opposite of logical and if you then allow bowhunting during the gun season or allow muzzleloader during the rifle season you are now encouraging guys to fudge and tag their real gun kill on opening day and then their "bow kill" a few days later. You'd no doubt also have bowhunters that would tag a gun kill buck even though they never picked up a gun. That is just a bad idea all the way around.

If I remember correctly... for a while there in KY we could kill 2 bucks as long as one of them was with a bow. That at least made a little sense but I'm sure the gun hunters didn't like it and there was probably a lot of deer that were tagged as bow kills that were killed with a gun.

The one buck limit is fair to everyone. The only exception to me would be in an instance where a guy is trying to follow the law but he really needs meat for his family and he hunts in an area where deer are hard to kill and after he tags his first buck the next deer he gets a chance at is also a buck. He might not get another shot at getting a doe. I'd like for that guy to be able to shoot that buck. However that is such a rare exception I don't see how you can build it into a Mgmt program. In the end that guy is probably going to shoot that buck anyway if he needs the meat that bad and he's probably going to get away with it and that is all right by me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.