Under ground basement style house

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by dirthole, Feb 25, 2018.

1. dirthole

dirthole 8 pointer

Feb 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    Yeah the older block style basements do have a moldy smell a lot of the time. All the ones I’ve ever been in with the poured walls I have never smelled a moldy smell.

2. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Heating and cooling are obviously easy….water control and ventilation are definitely the challenge.

aaronc likes this.
  3. dirthole

dirthole 8 pointer

Feb 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    The good thing about these type houses is there is not the first step in it. We thought ahead for when we get older in case we are in a wheel chair later in life it will be easy to get around in. Also we put 36 inch doors in all the rooms for easy access of wheel chair too_One more thing I like about it is when it’s storming I can go to the bed room at the back of the house and keep on sleeping at night and never hear a thing.

4. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Did you preplan the showers so that the poured floor is sloped for drainage? No shower curb is always sweet.

aaronc likes this.
  5. NOCAMST

NOCAMST 6 pointer

Oct 9, 2017
    Central ky
    My first house was a birm house and I liked it okay. One issue I’ve seen with them is financing. They don’t classify anything without a window as a bedroom so therefore a lot of people have problems with them appraising. My house was a 3 bed two bath but was listed as a 2 2 due to only having one of the small basement windows in one bedroom

6. keeruss8

keeruss8 6 pointer

Jun 19, 2016
    Marrowbone
    Very nice! I'm sure y'all will enjoy it

7. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Nice looking build you did. Congrats on a very nice place.

aaronc likes this.
  8. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Nice build Dirthole! I like it. Congrats!

9. Velvet ears

Velvet ears 8 pointer

Nov 6, 2013
    West KY
    Nice job.

The first home i built when I got married at 23 was a basement house with log siding on the gables and open porch side pretty much like yours. We made it to where we could remove the roof and add a 2nd level later, but never did.

The only thing I didn't like was the lack of viewing. Those basement style windows only allow so much of a view. Only big knock I have is it was always a pain to add wiring as everything is overhead.

Wish I would have added radiant heat in the floor.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022