Uncle lee's closing their doors

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by kyblackmallard, Oct 20, 2014.

1. kyblackmallard

kyblackmallard 10 pointer

Sep 18, 2006
  2. KyMike

KyMike Spike

Aug 21, 2013
    Man I hope that's a bad rumor

3. Wampuscat

Wampuscat 10 pointer

Apr 10, 2009
    Louisville
    to be honest this kind of ruins my day. I love that place. I have family lives in the area and frequent, I swing in once a month or so on my frequent trips down the Wk Parkway. Its understandable that he wants to retire.

Its a sad day in America when someone cant step up and buy a successful small business. Makes me hate Cabelas and the banks that wont lend the money. If Mr. Fauntleroy is asking an unacceptable amount for the business that's another thing but if the other option is to close the doors I find that hard to believe.

4. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Makes you hate Cabelas? Why, because they are bigger and more successful?

5. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    Those are relative terms. Bigger nationally...yes, but UL had a pretty good inventory of their own.
    More successful...I wouldn't know, but I thought the statement read like he just wanted to be done with it. I think he was quite successful, though. I wonder how much of Cabela's is owned by the banks.

6. Wampuscat

Wampuscat 10 pointer

Apr 10, 2009
    Louisville
    What? That's ridiculous, I'm not a grouse hunter or new guy.
    I hate cabelas because they suck on many levels. Most of the kids working there know nothing. Probably about anything. Gun counter is an exercise in irritability. You literally take a number so some dude or lady that only knows what's on the box. The whole store is over priced. Same crap in the louisville store is the same crap in the one in (insert store).

Uncle lees is original, local, and a landmark. Cabelas is the Walmart of sporting goods. Seen one seen'm all.

7. parker101

parker101 6 pointer

Feb 14, 2007
    Rough River, KY
    I agree wampuscat, uncle lees is the cheapest around on guns especially pistols. Ive bought ur big time name brand camo there for almost have price of any cabelas bass pro or ganders. And with those bigger stores bein 1 to 2 hrs away from alot of us unclees is 30 min or so. Gonna miss it

8. pepper

pepper Spike

Nov 11, 2004
    Dont forget about the 90 or so jobs that are gonna be lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    I hate seeing small businesses going out. Glad wingsupply is still going to continue, I buy from it often.

10. mmayes

mmayes 12 pointer

Aug 2, 2005
    Near Aintry

It is not gonna be what you expect.

Mayes

11. kyblackmallard

kyblackmallard 10 pointer

Sep 18, 2006
    Markie you and B.M. buying Wing? That would be a hoot....diver decoy discounts everyday! And Trash barrel half off Fridays!

12. mmayes

mmayes 12 pointer

Aug 2, 2005
    Near Aintry
    No, but it would be fun to do if I had pockets that deep.

Mayes

13. rcatron

rcatron 8 pointer

Apr 12, 2010
    winchester, ky
    How's it going to change? Smaller inventory or less discounts?

14. mmayes

mmayes 12 pointer

Aug 2, 2005
    Near Aintry
    My understanding is they will have no stock and anything ordered will be shipped directly from the manufacturer. The way I was lead to believe was the inventory that Wing sold were Uncle Lees items and now that the storefront is closing and being liquidated that they would have no inventory on hand to sell.

Mayes