Uk-tn

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Farrier85, Feb 2, 2016.

1. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    I don't think you can lay all of this on Cal's inability to coach without saying the same thing about Coach K. Both teams have the same problems but I don't hear anyone saying K can't coach.

2. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    They'll be in the NCAA Tourney. Too much $$ generated not allow them in. They will not have a top 4 seed but will make a run based on talent and the fact that no one is great in college basketball. For whatever reason I just don't enjoy watching this group win or lose for some reason?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    Go ahead and FIRE Coach Cal.

Who do you want to replace him????? Remember money is no object. WHO????

Remember this, when Rupp was coach the other SEC teams were a joke. Todays high school teams could easy have beat them as well as most of the NCAA teams back then. Now look at Cal's record at UK. We ARE going to run into some bad games with some great teams and we ARE going to have some bad teams we will have to put up for a year. Knowing the teams Rupp had to play against the whole time he was at UK and the teams Cal has played against in his time at UK just who really has the better record???

We all knew this would not be as good a team when all the top people signed up at the other schools and Cal had to look overseas to sign people up.

There things that Coach Cal does that drive me crazy. I have never understood the reason to drive to the basket to draw the foul when we can't buy a free throw some days. But then I look at how many times we've been to the Final Four under Cal in the short time he;'s been at UK.

If people do not like Coach Cal that's fine, in fact it's great since it does help push him and the team. But you want to replace Coach Cal then please tell us WHO should replace him??? Cal WILL leave UK someday and some people will be happy about it. But will they then complain about going to the Final Four once every 10 years?? Please tell the rest of us WHO can get a better record at UK.

4. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Cal is currently the second best coach in college basketball. Hands down. The only reason he isn't number 1, is because coach K is arguably the best coach in college basketball history. How is this even a discussion?

Does cal screw up? Yep. Every coach gets out coached at some point. Mailman, you keep touting how well Derek Willis is playing. Ummm... Willis has benefitted and vastly improved from playing under coach cal. His players and teams improve. How is this even a discussion?

Calipari runs a system. It's an enterprise. A lot is expected of players. Players are lucky to play for UK and UK is lucky to get the players they do. We can point fingers and question line ups and offensive sets, but the overall system is the best....and the record proves it. How is this even a discussion?

5. BTOWNER

BTOWNER 8 pointer

Dec 5, 2010
    That team had Randle

6. kymailman98

kymailman98 10 pointer

Dec 20, 2009
    Christian County
    What Calipari runs is the expectation that he will recruit the best players possible.....and I have admitted that he does....and then hope that they play well enough to win ballgames. It worked last year like it was supposed to, and when the big game came, what happened.....he was called on to do some X's and O's coaching, and he couldn't. Yet, he reloads and then goes at it again the next year. I look at him a something of a gambler, hoping that he can win with what he puts out there on the floor. What I'm saying is that there is something lacking in this years team, something that needs fixing, something that only coaching can fix....and so far it hasn't happened. Maybe it will, at least I hope so.

7. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    But look at UK's record since he's been the coach?....it works!

8. BTOWNER

BTOWNER 8 pointer

Dec 5, 2010
    Cal is doing a great job imo. He has to figure out how we can play 5 on 5 the whole game.

Not having a consistent inside threat is killing us.

9. kymailman98

kymailman98 10 pointer

Dec 20, 2009
    Christian County

Wildcat, I don't know how old you are, but I'm going to assume you're not like a kid I talked to not long ago. This guy was in his early 20's, and he was absolutely eat up with John Calipari, and tried telling me that Kentucky basketball was nothing until he got there. WHAT!! NOTHING, I said!! I then continued to give him a history lesson. I began following UK in 1962, and have been a fan since. John Calipari did not build the foundation upon which Kentucky basketball sits. That was done by Adolph Rupp, and added to by Joe B. Hall, Eddie Sutton, Rick Pitino, Tubby Smith, Billy Gillespie, all before Calipari got there. Yes, you have to give credit to Eddie and Billy, even though they didn't win an NCAA title. I'm a UK fan first, players and coaches come and go, eras come and go, but UK basketball doesn't go anywhere. You want to trash Rupp, which tells me that you evidently know diddly squat about UK basketball history. Rupp didn't just play against the SEC, he played against the best teams of the era......and won 4 NCAA titles doing so. And by the way, there were some pretty decent SEC teams back in those days....UT, Vandy, and Mississippi State. Now, quit getting your panties in a wad, I haven't said to replace Calipari.......now have I. I'm just saying that I think he is not as good of a coach as he is a recruiter, and I think the record bears this out. His recruiting is unsurpassed, but when it comes to talking about the best X's and O's coaches in the game, he is very seldom ever mentioned.

10. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Recruiters don't get in the hall of fame.

11. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    Son, I'm 64 years old. My dad first took me to my first UK game at Memorial Coliseum when I was 5 years old and I've been back every year at last once in all these years. YOU are the one that got your panties in a wad, not me. I am not that 20 year old kid you talked to. I did NOT trash Rupp. I told the truth about the other SEC teams back then, just look at THEIR RECORDS, UK is not the only team to put a beating on them back then. Those were football schools that only palyed basketball to give the kids something to do in the off season. It was RUPP that forced them to build THEIR teams up to a better level. There is not a single thing you can tell me about UK basketball I don't already know. I'm not blind with Rupp that I couldn't look up the other teams records. Yes Rupp build UK basketball and he build the SEC basketball into what it is today by forcing them to do better.

Now back to Coach Cal. You don't like him and want to trash him, fine, have at it. What do you want to do about Coach Cal since you said you didn't want to replace him, what do you want to do. Fire him, give him a rise?? Soon he WILL leave UK and some people will be happy.

12. ky.longbeard

ky.longbeard 10 pointer

May 15, 2010
    There is no way that I think Cal needs to go,but I think even a coach can learn just like the players.We have a big problem with our big guys getting in foul trouble...Don't be so stubborn that you simply refuse to play a zone defense! The game at Kansas we were driving the ball down the gut of their defense and I believe if Kansas had not gone to a triangle and 2 that Ky. comes out of there with the win. Last night Tenn. was doing the same thing we were doing the first half of the Kansas game. I do think Cal can be a little stubborn at times,especially about defense. I also think Ky. looks tired !

13. I think Cal is great. The best at recruiting, not bad but not the best at the rest. Could we do better? Doubtful. Fans gotta realize not every year will be a title year.

14. kymailman98

kymailman98 10 pointer

Dec 20, 2009
    Christian County
    I'll post this, and then I'm going to let this go. Any coach, at any university is going to be questioned from time to time. I'm sure even Nick Saben hears from the Alabama fans from time to time, and what he has done down there far surpasses anything any current coach has done recently. Look at how past UK coaches have been talked about. Today's fans have been critical of Adolph Rupp, some calling him a racist, others saying that he played against soft competition. Joe Hall was the subject of jokes.....after he retired he went to work for a bank and was fired, because during a bank robbery he wouldn't let the guards shoot. Eddie Sutton was nothing but an alcoholic, the State Police had to keep an eye on him all the time. Rick Pitino left the best job in America, and then returned to the state as coach of the hated Louisville Cardinals. Tubby Smith won with "Rick's players", and then couldn't come close again. And Billy G.....well, we all know how bad a hire that was. So, why do some of you consider Calipari to be off limits, as far as any criticism goes? Is he supposed to be immune from anyone saying anything negative about him? I have never said I would like to see him replaced, and have no desire to see him gone. But, I do think he has some shortcomings, and think this team has brought those out. Listen folks, here is my spin on things.....if Calipari were to leave tomorrow and go to the NBA, life as we know it would still go on. UK would find another coach, and that coach would do well....just as it did when Hall took over for Rupp. Coaches come and they go, I don't worship the coach. Players come and they go, and I don't worship them. I am for that uniform that has the word KENTUCKY on the front of it, and what it means to me, and it doesn't matter who's sitting on that bench.

15. KYote-Krusher

KYote-Krusher 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    South Central Kentucky