UK, Calipari agree to extension..

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by KYBOY, May 12, 2015.

1. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Well Fowler I think your reading in to it to much. I said he wins and will continue to do so I'm just saying NOBODY deserves that much money. The money in sports and the entertainment world is out of control...period! Just like the recent boxing match paying hundreds of millions. Total BS! Heck, I'd take the UK job for 1 mill and guarantee a title in the first season and if I don't win they can fire me [emoji1]. That's still a crapload of $. Besides seems to me the seats at UK have never been empty...that statement makes no sense. UK Football makes more money than UK basketball have those coaches deserved every cent? This isn't about Cal it's about the pay being out of control at the college/pro level...period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. kymailman98

kymailman98 10 pointer

Dec 20, 2009
    Christian County

As a lot of you probably know, Art and I agree on very little, and sometimes our posts get pretty hot and personal. But, I do find myself agreeing with him on occasion, and he is right on spot with this post. They don't hang banners for the most players a team puts in the NBA draft, and personally I could care less what happens in the NBA. But they do hang banners for NCAA championships and Calipari has been outcoached in the past 2 Final Fours, and especially so in the past one. I think his ability to recruit talent, and the ability to satisfy all those egos often out masks his coaching ability. I also think that his first obligation should be to the UK basketball program and not to making sure that a kid gets drafted in the NBA. But, with all that being said, basketball has changed, and will never be the way it once was, and it may very well be that Calipari is the perfect coach to handle that. My biggest gripe against him is the way he seems to think that it's just as good to put a bunch of freshmen in the NBA draft, than it is to win an NCAA title.

3. Art

Art 12 pointer

Nov 27, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    I think you could get Izzo. I think they'd make contact with Brad Stevens. If they said no, I'm probably the only one, but I'd call Bruce Pearl. UK has a history and reputation, along with facilities and TV time that enhance the recruiting of whoever takes the job. The biggest factor in getting a new coach will be the state of the program when Calipari leaves.It's easier to get a coach when you leave it like Pitino did than it is when it was in the state Tubby left it.

4. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    If UK could lure coach Izzo away from msu after cal left...the program would not miss a beat. I'm a big Izzo fan. Izzo is one of the few that would continue the success in my opinion, I just don't see him leaving Michigan state. Bruce pearl would probably be a decent fit...but I personally can't stand him. Stevens obviously would be a good hire but I do think it would take some time for the adjustment. People float around the idea of Sean miller and I'm not crazy about that.

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  5. kymailman98

kymailman98 10 pointer

Dec 20, 2009
    Christian County
    Pitino recommended Tubby as his replacement to C.M. Newton, and I've always thought it was because he knew Tubby wouldn't outdo him, and thereby ruin the Pitino legacy at UK. I wonder what Rick thought after Tubby's first season, but after that he had nothing to worry about until he ruined it himself by going to Louisville. If Calipari decided to leave while Barnhart is AD, I wonder if he would recommend anyone? I certainly don't think it would be Pearl, because I think he wouldn't do that UK. Pearl has no class, and I've detested him since his days at UT. UK would need someone with absolutely no skeletons in their closet, and that would exclude Pearl. Izzo would be great, and I like Greg Marshall. I would just hope that we didn't end up with another Billy Clyde.

6. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    If Izzo wanted the job, I think coach cal would recommend him. It would be perfect for everyone.

7. Art

Art 12 pointer

Nov 27, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    In 2 or 3 years, I think Pearl and Cuonzo Martin will be hot names. IMO, Izzo is already #1 on that short list Barnhart has in his drawer. I'd be shocked if it were anyone other than him if Calipari left at this moment.

You strike on on him and Stevens, and perhaps Marshall, you really have to get outside the box. I think in a couple of years Pearl will look pretty appealing.

8. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    If you guys can get Izzo out of the Big Ten, then I'm all for it. He really has Purdue's number when it comes to recruiting.

He's taken several high level recruits out of Indy, which in effect is like me stealing your dog off your porch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Buck_Nasty

Buck_Nasty 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2009
    Laurel County
    I don't post here as much as I used to. However, I've got to get in on this as I can't believe what I'm seeing from some of you guys. I been preaching for quite a long time what some of you guys are saying about Calipari not being the coach some seem to think he is, and winning a lot of his games on having more talent than the other guy. However, in the past, I've been told I was crazy for thinking such a thing. Just odd to see some of you guys finally eluding to that fact is all. Not posting this to stir the pot, but I can see some are finally seeing the light.

10. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    I always knew cal wasn't a great X's and O's coach. But he puts talent on the floor. I just wish he would see his own weekness and find a great up and coming X's and O's guy to put on his staff to fill that void. I really like cal and hope he stays. Let's face it, it's been a while since we have been in final fours almost every year.

11. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I have all the faith in the world with coach cal and hope he never leaves. I still think he is a great x and o coach, but I do agree that he has been out coached in big games....that definitely happens to all coaches. I do not think that uk's success is simply because they retain more talent than everyone else. If you take the good with the bad and look at Cals entire body of work, he is one of the 2 best coaches in the game currently. Why didnt people say that coach k was a poor x and o guy when Duke lost to Lehigh or mercer? It happens.

I agree wih bigpuddin that cal could show some flexibility in certain situations and I think the results would improve, but he is the way he is and that's certainly good enough for me.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  12. kymailman98

kymailman98 10 pointer

Dec 20, 2009
    Christian County
    I started to put this in a new thread, but thought I's post it here. I saw on the KSR website where Calipari said at a meeting he was speaking at, that the goal of the past season was to put 8 players in the NBA, not win a national title. This is the crap that makes me unable to like him. He is paid, and our tax dollars are part of it, to win games at UK and that includes NCAA titles. I know that we want to recruit the best talent, and we want talent good enough to play at the next level, but I personally could care less about the NBA and how many UK players are drafted. I think he is shooting himself in the foot with statements like that.

13. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    You know I have not read that atticle yet..In part to "hoping" that the headline was taken out of context.."Hoping" that's that's not exactly what he meant...Ill have to read it today..I know its probably all recruiting hype but still...............

14. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    He has said that on multiple occasions. It is most certainly recruiting hype, but it is also his goal. He has been quite honest about it and it serves everyone's interests. It obviously benefits the players. It benefits coach cal and it definitely benefits the university at the same time. It's a win for all parties involved.

15. kymailman98

kymailman98 10 pointer

Dec 20, 2009
    Christian County

Ed, I don't think it's a win for "all" parties. Certainly the players benefit because they get a year to showcase their talents.....all expenses paid. Calipari can recruit better by telling a kid that he can turn him into a first round NBA draftee and an instant millionaire, plus Calipari gets his name and face spread all over the sports world. The university is paying Calipari a huge salary, they are giving the players a free ride, and when those players leave after a year, the whole process starts all over again. I am one of those fans who measures success by the number of national titles we win, not how many players get drafted into the NBA. Now, you're going to point out to me the number of games UK has won, and the trips to the Final Four, and the 2012 title, all under Calipari......and you have a point. But, he also has been outcoached in the Final Four the past 2 years, and if you poll the fans.....all of them, not just the Cal-can-do-no-wrong crowd, you will find that fans want NCAA championship banners hanging in Rupp, not banners for sending more players to the NBA than anyone else. Oh, wait, there are no banners for the latter.