Tx hunt landscape pics and info

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by 1wildcatfan, Dec 31, 2018.

1. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    after many phone calls last year inquiring about a Tx deer hunt for my son (his graduation gift/trip), i found out the hunting ranches probably number in the thousands. we booked with the 501 Ranch in Uvalde, about 2 hours SW of the San Antonio airport. check out their website and facebook page for many pics. The ranch is 12,500 acres, high fence as are most ranches. we tracked one road and there was 14 miles of high fence on either side of the road. so for the nimrods that think my son and i are adding to the demise of hunting for all american sportsman, pound sand, you don't have a clue. per the ranch biologist, Texas has had high fence for 80+ yrs and the hunting is going strong down there. The ranch has 3 miles of river flowing through it and the water was as clear as water out of the faucet, looked like something you see pics of in the Caribbean. one side of the river held 10,000 acres of the ranch broken up into three "pastures" (not cattle pastures, just what they call them). Senderos, or roads, are cut through the pastures and there are several spinner feeders and gravity feeders on each road, spaced out about every half mile. tower blinds, 18' to the floor, are put about 100 yds from the feeders. they don't shoot anything unless it's 6 1/2 or older. you'll see from the pics, the brush is so thick, the only way to hunt the deer is to get them to come out on the roads. all the ranch vehicles in Tx has spinner feeders mounted to them with a remote inside so the roads can be "corned" as they drive.
    The ranch owner lives in Austin and owns one of the largest cosmetic companies in the world. he has a train on the property with 3 miles of track because he likes trains. he had a building housing his cars; Bentley, Ferrari, Tesla, etc. The neighboring ranch has a 40,000 SF house on it. While riding the ranch in the high rack, son and i saw a 190-200" typical, it was unreal. guide said we were only the 3rd group to see that deer alive, guessing it a 5 1/2. they only have trail cam pics of it but none since august in velvet. they thought it may have died. they regularly see deer for the first time on hunts. saw a 160" 8 pt the other day that they had never seen or had pics of before. a lot of deer die and they never find them unless its from the helicopter doing the census survey.

bad machine. driven from the top. the back platform can go up 18'.
    txhighrack (1).jpg
    typical view from the tower blind, a whole lot of nothing but thick brush with stickers on everything. The ridge line in the background is 40 miles away.
    txview4.jpg
    txview5 (1).jpg
    40,000 SF house on the high spot way in the background.
    txview3 (1).jpg

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  2. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    I would love to go on a hunt like that.

3. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Been in Texas but never hunted there. Always thought it would be much different than hunting whitetails like I normally hunt them.

4. 1wildcat1

1wildcat1 Fawn

Aug 4, 2018
    Kentucky
    Quote " so for the nimrods that think my son and i are adding to the demise of hunting for all american sportsman, pound sand, you don't have a clue."

What a great way to interest others in your post, start off insulting others before they even reply.

Is this an advertisement for the ranch or what?

hunt and Genesis 27:3 like this.
  5. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    you need to go read the comments on another thread from people about high fence hunting, couple of the "anti's" have an opinion formed but know nothing about it.
    not an advertisement, but i would highly recommend this place if someone had a Texas hunt on their bucket list.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  6. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Looks interesting,great big area fence or not,I’d try it if money and health allowed

7. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    hunting out of a 6x6 tower blind watching maybe three different senderos/roads. depending on temperature, may hunt til 10-10:30, pig out on a big breakfast. shoot skeet, fish, ride around in high rack, or do nothing. eat lunch around 2, to back out around 3:30, dark at 6. eat awesome supper, gain weight, do all over again the next day. i skipped lunch. i made a few extra trips up the stairs of the blind just for some cardio. all the ranches seem to be about the same. you can spend a lot on a deer of a particular size, no guarantees, or management hunts go for around $2500 with all the same amenities as the hunter paying mega $$ to hunt a giant. They told us a few hunters ate their tags this year holding out for one particular deer they had pics of. My son shot his 1 1/2 hrs into the first sit, they said he was the only one this season that killed on the first day.

8. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    That 12500acres is 20 square miles. Hell,I hunt on less than 200 acres and could not tell you
    what kind of deer were on the other side of the farm at any given time.
    Im not a high fence hunter,but I think I could enjoy this once for the adventure. That is
    a big area to hunt in,like they said deer die of old age and are never seen.
    Thanks for the pics,just a real neat fun hunt.

1wildcatfan likes this.
  9. Genesis 27:3

Genesis 27:3 10 pointer

Oct 13, 2018
    Christain county
    Go get a clue

10. Genesis 27:3

Genesis 27:3 10 pointer

Oct 13, 2018
    Christain county
    Seems to me you feel better calling names a keeping things going.

11. web splitter

web splitter 8 pointer

Feb 3, 2015
    Let's see the deer he killed

Big Snuff likes this.
  12. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    He posted pics on another thread.

13. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    another thread. "son had a good trip to Tx"

14. Bullet&bow

Bullet&bow Spike

May 1, 2016
    Louisville
    I actually went to a ranch in Uvalde in 2014. I shot an axis (delicious) and a Dall and a Corsican. I friend took a fallow deer and a whitetail. Another shot an axis. I really wanted a black buck ram, as they are difficult to hunt and spooky. Everything the OP stated is true, and I was surprised at how the high fence operations are conducted, as hunting up here is way different. However, if you are going, keep in mind that some of these breeding program bucks can be really expensive (try 20k +). Also, certain ranchers can really put a lot of pressure on you to take something you don't really want. Make sure you know your pricing menu before you go and communicate exactly what you're after with the ranch. Sort of like an auction where you can bite off too much.

1wildcatfan likes this.
  15. NonTyp

NonTyp 12 pointer

Apr 9, 2006
    Horntown
    Why you trying to start trouble anyway?
    Getting a clue might be good advice for yourself.