Two middling bucks, two big milestones

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by theprofessor, Nov 19, 2018.

1. theprofessor

theprofessor 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2013
    I'm an adult onset hunter, so this is only my 6th or 7th year hunting. I killed my first few with borrowed guns, standing behind a hay bale, and took em all to the processor. As time went on, it was a little like the stages of fishing:
    1. I just wanna get one
    2. I wanna get a lot of em
    3. I wanna get a big one
    4. I wanna get the one I want, the way I want to do it.
    Last year I got my first buck with an arrow, and for the first time I also butchered it myself, but so far, all the bucks I killed were forks. One big goal for this year was to kill a 'full rack' buck: out to the ears, 6 points plus. I really wanted to get one out of a stand I hung myself, on property I scouted, with a bow, but I also lost my main property and I just didn't get time to scout the others I've got lined up.

Anyway, I did finally get this one with my own firearm, too, though not what I would have expected. I found myself with only a shotgun on hand, and so I killed the 8pt with a 1oz slug. It was a good quick kill, but on reflection, an embarrassingly bad shot--especially since it was under 20 yards.
    2018buck.png
    I also had a former student get in touch to ask me to take him to get his first. I was actually trying to do that on Saturday in Garrard County when I shot the 8 at about 7:06am. My boy couldn't have gotten a shot on that deer, but still, I felt terrible because we were supposed to be getting him a deer, and we didn't, so I was pretty anxious when we went back out that afternoon.

We were on stand for about an hour when I spotted the deer, and I had to talk him through letting the deer step behind a tree, and come back out, and give him a broadside shot, but when the time came he drilled him.
    Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 12.11.12 AM.png
    I think a lot of you will have experienced this, but I was so much happier and prouder of his 80 lb button buck than I was of my own, and I had a great time showing him how to gut, skin, and break it down--plus, I recruited another soldier into the orange army.

Anyway, this is a lot of words for comparatively little deer, but I want to say one more thing: I've been reading on KH since I got started, and all of you have taught me a TON of stuff that has made so much difference in my hunting. I really appreciate this resource, and all of you. I'm probably done hunting in Kentucky after this year, but I'm always going to have beautiful, wonderful memories of killing deer in the bluegrass.

If you're still reading, thanks for enduring. tl;dr: Two bucks down in Garrard.

2. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Great story and congrats to both on your deer.

3. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    Well hell, I hope you’re just done hunting KY, but not done all together.

Ataulbe1 likes this.
  4. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    That's awesome, congrats!

5. BowOnly

BowOnly 8 pointer

Mar 6, 2008
    Congrats and respect for making the commitment to help a new hunter get started.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  6. trapper perry

trapper perry 12 pointer

May 10, 2009
    Good deer and good job on helping out a new hunter.

7. bah1286

bah1286 8 pointer

Jul 29, 2014
    I think you are selling yourself short on that buck. It’s a nice deer.

8. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Nice job spreading the joy of hunting. Congrats.

9. supergoat80

supergoat80 10 pointer

Aug 31, 2012
    Great story and congratulations to the both of you on fine bucks.

10. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    I have read the stages of a Hunter or how we evolve as hunters and it's pretty much spot on, starts at killing that first deer then quantity next is quality and then just enjoying creation and being in the woods the kill is secondary. There a few other small stages at times mixed in but those are the big four. Congrats

11. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Congrats on the buck it's a good one! Be proud! And thanks for getting someone else involved and taking the time to show him the ropes. Hope your just done in KY for this season, not entirely.

12. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 12 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    Cograts on your harvest and thanks for helping another sportsmen!

13. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    That's what this sport is supposed to be about. Trophy antlers are nice to look at but in my experience end up as dust collectors. No matter the size, its the bond and memory that's made that means the most. Its the memories and stories that are shared around the table or the campfire that last forever!!!!

14. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
  15. model70

model70 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2011
    Western Ky
    That's outstandinding, congrats to both of you!