Turtles

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by wprebeck, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    I just checked the regs. There is no season or bag limit on turtles. I have had turtle stew, pretty tasty. Been told fried turtle is good too. Shoot them and eat em.

2. rcatron

rcatron 8 pointer

Apr 12, 2010
    winchester, ky
    if only they didn't suck to clean

Ataulbe1 and Marsh CallUser like this.
  3. Killroy

Killroy 8 pointer

Apr 18, 2007
    in a gas station
    Ain't that the truth. They are terrible.

If you live northern Ky you ought to be killing birds on the Creeks and rivers. Buddy of mine lives just out of Frankfort and says the Creeks have a lot of birds on them. You have to wait till it freezes hard one night and float a 5-10 mile trip.

I did that for several years before I had a boat with a blind . If it was a hard freeze we would average about three birds a trip on Creeks in SCentral Ky. Heck I still do it every now and then. I have even found likely creek access points like low water bridges and paddled upstream till I found some Woodies. I would kill one or two if I got lucky and then float back down. Don't do the same thing as last year if you hunted that much and killed so few. You could put a canoe in lots of places and be much more consistent.

I made a knife I am taking to a guy to ask if I can hunt a second property of his this evening. I got permission to hunt the first by helping unload a semi of wedding chairs . Never met the guy before. Hunted for 4 years now on his pond . Good for about 3-5 birds a trip. Killed 75 total off the one pond since started hunting it. Only place I've got to hunt besides public. Took several years to find it . Point is, persistent scouting and asking pays off eventually.

DARKCLOUD likes this.
  4. Gun7alk

Gun7alk 6 pointer

Oct 30, 2013
    Man this thread has had me rolling. Rikki don't lose that number

5. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    surely you killed some this weekend birds were everywhere one of our best weekends here in central ky in a couple years. shot a 3 man limit of mallards in 30 minutes yesterday and that's with a boy who had never shot a duck had so many trying to land in the decoys knocked down a scotch double on his first and second duck. then doubled on a pair that he water swatted.

6. Big Snuff

Big Snuff Fawn

Nov 25, 2018
    North central ky
    Get ready, here come the excuses.

7. littleboots

littleboots 6 pointer

Sep 24, 2008
    Plenty around here too