Turtles

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by wprebeck, Dec 9, 2018.

1. wprebeck

wprebeck 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    They are out and about. Ice on the water not 25 yards away, and seen two turtles already.

2. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
  3. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
    You could always crossover and get into turtle huntin. Who knows it might be more rewarding for you.

smashdn and wprebeck like this.
  4. wprebeck

wprebeck 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    We see more of them than ducks....you might be on to something. Is internet scouting frowned upon for turtle hunting? Can I ethically waterswat one? What are some good decoys for red-eared sliders?

5. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I have caught many a Turtle under the ice. Good eating

6. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    Man, I hope for your kids sake that you are full of S*%# and have been smoking them undercover for all these years.

You definitely don't seem like you have a lot of quit in you but have you though about trapping?

7. wprebeck

wprebeck 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    Nope, no BS. Hunted every off day last season (was Sun/Mon last year) plus took a few sick and vacation days. Total birds: two geese, one wigeon, three mallards. For the season.

I've run a trapline in the past, but it's a 45 minute one way drive to the farm where I can put out sets. Can't do that everyday, and there's that whole work thing.

I enjoy duck hunting, just wish there were ducks where I am able to hunt. Public land sucks, unless you have a boat and can hit the Ohio. Me and my canoe have been out on the river, but we stay real close to shore. Limits hunting even more.

It'll get better in a couple of years. Working on finding a new job now, and hoping to move to a more duck friendly area. The jobs I'm looking at now have to pay a little more than they would in 13 months. I'll have a retirement then, and can take something a little less. I'm really hoping one of the Kansas spots I put in for works out. That, or an NRCS job in Madisonville or Mayfield (looking at you, Wile E.)

When we move, I plan on buying a place I can call my own...don't need much, just the right 20-30 acres. Looking forward to being out of the duck desert and hunting a place that isn't constantly shot up.

Until then, anyone know what a record size mud turtle would be?

8. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    6 birds in one season? I'd have to find a different hobby until I moved and most likely just give it up. You got drive I'll give you that. No wonder you're so frustrated all the time. Hope you get on some.

wprebeck likes this.
  9. wprebeck

wprebeck 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    I've never been accused of giving up easily, lol. Hell, we've hunted two states today, and will have put over 300 miles on the truck in two days of chasing ducks. Seen a lot yesterday, but today's tally sucked. This morning, KY produced one honker that we never saw, a wood duck that came buzzing in from behind and busted us before we knew he was there, and a solo mallard way too high. Indiana gave us a dozen cranes.

On the bright side, I'm not at work, and will be watching the weather close. If we get a good cold spell - work will just have to do without me.

Now, about those turtles...

10. Rob DeHaven

Rob DeHaven 10 pointer

Apr 19, 2006
    on the road
    I can’t stand it wprebeck, I’m going to take you hunting if you want to go. Let me know when you would be available the rest of this month.

11. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
  12. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    Been there, tried that. Full of excuses.

KDT

13. Big Snuff

Big Snuff Fawn

Nov 25, 2018
    North central ky
    I thought this was supposed to be the season of hate? Now we got guys inviting other guys to go hunting on a public forum. What's next?? GPS coordinates? Truthful scouting reports? Loaning decoys? This place is getting soft fast.

14. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    It is getting soft on here. I know how it is though my first season was super tough. Just keep learning from your mistakes. And picking up all the knowledge you can from people who know. The thing hardest for me to learn was scouting means everything. When I was young and just starting I wanted to be somewhere with decoys out all the time. I finally got smart enough to realize to consistently kill ducks I was going to be scouting more than I was hunting.