Turkeys behind schedule

Gen.Stonewall

6 pointer
May 1, 2009
Bell Co.
I was working on my boat out back last night and right at dark the whole hillside sounded like ten gobblers were sounding off. It lasted till well after dark. I think they like the Led Zeppelin I was playing on the radio lol

I like a little Led also. That maybe the key.

Tha' Hat

10 pointer
Oct 3, 2005
The Island
Geez, the slowness of some...

To make it easier on you, I've killed several birds already in TN. Understand now?

All clear now, partner. I just assumed that when you said anyone who doesn't think the birds are "100 percent behind" is naïve meant that you hadn't killed one yourself. But I didn't take bush-whacking and the like into account. I'm sort of a purist and don't even count those as real turkeys, but understand if you would like to.

Anyhow, the two birds in my photo -- killed Monday, the day you brought naivety into the conversation, actually -- were at least 100 percent "on time." Maybe even 110.

hitch

10 pointer
Jan 16, 2008
All clear now, partner. I just assumed that when you said anyone who doesn't think the birds are "100 percent behind" is naïve meant that you hadn't killed one yourself. But I didn't take bush-whacking and the like into account. I'm sort of a purist and don't even count those as real turkeys, but understand if you would like to.

Anyhow, the two birds in my photo -- killed Monday, the day you brought naivety into the conversation, actually -- were at least 100 percent "on time." Maybe even 110.

There might not be a bigger purist on this forum then me when it comes to killing turkeys. Go reread my comments in the shoot and scoot thread. I can't recall ever ambushing or bushwhacking a bird.

The birds I've killed this year have been nothing short of kamikaze missiles which gobbled their heads off and came in so fast I didn't even have a chance to really savor the hunt

With that said gobbling has been very poor so far in this area, and it seems as if most birds are still in a winter mode. Obviously there are a few who are playing but compared to years past at this same time it is much more winter like than other years

When I was down south the birds had just broken up and it led to more gobbling than in past years as many subordinate birds were without hens and the dominant birds were still gathering hens.

Again it begs the question, what is behind, normal, or ahead? I don't think it can be judged, it's just the way it is on any given year. Some years are one way and other years another, but there's no baseline IMO to call it ahead or behind. The statement about naive looking back was premature based on the above, and it was a mistake using those words because what exactly is behind, ahead, or normal?

deadaim

12 pointer
Dec 12, 2001
Booger Hollar
Lets put it this way.....I wish I could go after them in the morning in KY cause I know I have some that are ready for the skillet. They have fired off all day today.

bmason

8 pointer
Mar 31, 2006
I fished on Green R Lake from 8am-4pm and never heard a gobble! I've killed a bunch of turkeys in the area I fished. So, I stand by the birds in central Ky being a tad behind. Thats 5 days and 3 gobbles in 6 counties. Heard more in Jan. while duck hunting.

That said.... I'm looking forward to youth hunts this weekend.

blade1

Spike
Oct 30, 2012
KY
No Toms yet!

I see a group of 35 hens almost daily. I have yet to see a strutter with them. I hear crickets morning and evening.

Rokr8d

Fawn
Mar 20, 2012
Lexington
I was out scouting around in Menifee county Sunday and Monday. Early gobbles, then henned up and quiet. Saw a couple toms together in a field, and a couple groups on the edge of the timber which I assume had mixed company but didn't see any fans. I think we'll have a full season of hunting, awesome.

JDMiller

12 pointer
Jun 12, 2005
" Between the Rivers "
I've been watching some here close to the house ... and the last two mornings as I come in from work about 8:15 ... they been in the same spot. It's at a distance but looks to be one strutter and at least two other males along with about 6-7 hens. The strutter has been full fanned both times and the other two don't really have the look that screams jakes .. so I'm thinking at least 2 year olds.

Most other reports I'm hearing here in the Purchase area of the state ...and around our place in Christian Co..... have been pretty much the same. Warm weather this week has finally got the folage beginning to bud & leaf out... and the redbuds in my backyard are just about to hit full bloom.

Overall .... seems to be a year that things are on schedule for around here.

tyshe17

12 pointer
May 4, 2007
Woods have changed a lot in the last 2 days. Tuesday I had a tom blowing it up in a field about 8:30. Gobbled at everything.

Today had 3 males in same field and only a couple of gobbles. Never hens around.

Did see a long beard chasing a hen on way back to truck a few minutes ago.

I'd say they are behind the last couple years but should be with hens by opener which is around normal.

This was oldham county.

blade1

Spike
Oct 30, 2012
KY
Finally yesterday The Tom's showed themselves. Gonna get up early and sit out on the porch and see if I can hear any gobbling.

Latest posts