Turkeys and snakes

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by kyoutdoorsman, Apr 7, 2019.

1. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 10 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Anybody ever killed or seen a rattle snake or copperhead during spring turkey season

2. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Killed a copperhead 2 years ago late in the season. Glad I had my muck boots on because it struck at me.

3. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 10 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    That's what I fear the most. People say that we don't have them .They can get in a flood in eastern KY and go to any county

4. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    There is no poisonous snakes where I live but a little over a week and a half ago I seen two snakes curled up laying in the sun.
    I supposed you get used to bad snakes if you were brought up around them .

5. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Only hunted East Ky for turkey for three years. Never seen a poisonous snake during turkey season. Never seen one at home either. Killed plenty during elk season. I do keep my guard up.

6. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    People say we don't have rattlesnakes and copperheads in Eastern Kentucky????

7. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Somebody lied

RLWEBB likes this.
  8. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Copperheads are in all Ky counties

davers and EdLongshanks like this.
  9. Delana Fine

Delana Fine Fawn

Feb 13, 2018
    Alabama
    A couple of years ago in Alabama I saw a couple of hens in a field and slipped around a set down at an oak. I took my feet and pushed up some branches that were in front of me and started calling. After about 10 mins I looked down at my feet and a 3 foot rattlesnake was in all the limbs I had pushed up and my right foot was resting on the snake and he is just setting there watching me. I had to think about it a few secs and decided I needed to get up but there was no good way to do it without pushing the snake around. So as gracefully as I could for a 58 year old man I made my move and jumped to my feet and the snake never moved. After I regained my composure I found a big stick (my gun is still laying by the snake) and I beat his head to a pulp. I still get the willies when I do a quick setup or before daylight. The only thing the scares me more then getting snake bit walking through the woods is getting snake bit in the family jewels. Be careful out there.

Genesis 27:3 likes this.
  10. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Pretty sure copperheads are statewide mister.

RLWEBB likes this.
  11. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I have live in this area my whole life and I have never seen one . I pick blackberries and hunt without any snake protection.
    Several miles east , north and south of me there is Copperheads and rattlers. I have never heard of one within 15 miles of me

12. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Bet you've never seen a bigfoot neither. lol. Copperheads have been documented in every county, but areas of counties are void. From Glasgow East to Monroe county, you don't see copperheads.

13. hoene

hoene 6 pointer

May 8, 2012
    Northern Ky
    Never seen one in Owen or Boone county, Hope i never do.

14. bmason

bmason 6 pointer

Mar 31, 2006
    I know they're in the woods with me when I'm hunting and I'm sure I've crossed their path, but they have never shown their existence. I hunt in Central and south central Kentucky. Heck... I've only seen them ran over.

15. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    We have copperheads and cottonmouths where I hunt. They don’t bother me and I don’t bother them.

Munson likes this.