Turkey Population

Oldrook

6 pointer
Jul 19, 2020
Soky
The extended freeze we had a couple years ago also hurt the population, no doubt. Birds that didn't have running water suffered losses.
I agree.Me and my friend found twelve dead turkeys one year when we had extended below freezing temperatures and heavy snow. No food, no water.

hitch

10 pointer
Jan 16, 2008
The extended freeze we had a couple years ago also hurt the population, no doubt. Birds that didn't have running water suffered losses.
Turkeys don’t drink water unless it’s super hot, they get their water intake from the plants they consume. The birds that suffer in winter suffer from food being covered by snow/ice and they can’t get to it because of the coverage. On years with a low mast crop and harsh winter it can really nail them.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
Turkeys don’t drink water unless it’s super hot, they get their water intake from the plants they consume. The birds that suffer in winter suffer from food being covered by snow/ice and they can’t get to it because of the coverage. On years with a low mast crop and harsh winter it can really nail them.
And when everything is frozen, they're screwed, like I said.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
Research by scientists at Clemson University found that turkeys need water almost daily. What's more, they found that hens and their broods are rarely more than a quarter-mile from a water source. Adults typically stay within a half-mile of water in the winter.

hitch

10 pointer
Jan 16, 2008
Research by scientists at Clemson University found that turkeys need water almost daily. What's more, they found that hens and their broods are rarely more than a quarter-mile from a water source. Adults typically stay within a half-mile of water in the winter.
And how many broods of poults are there in the dead of winter? Google is great, but it’s important to actually read more than the first thing that comes up….

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
And how many broods of poults are there in the dead of winter? Google is great, but it’s important to actually read more than the first thing that comes up….
Did you read the first sentence? Obviously not. Google is great, but comprehension is equally important.

slickhead slayer

12 pointer
Nov 14, 2005
VP OF ADMIN Development
Did you read the first sentence? Obviously not. Google is great, but comprehension is equally important.

I looked up your Clemson study. You quoted just a couple sentences. The very next sentence after your quote said this....."While the Eastern wild turkey can get most of its water from dew and insects, western turkeys such as the Rio Grande and Merriam’s do not have that luxury. These birds can be found in arid parts of the plains states and must have free standing water to survive. "

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
I looked up your Clemson study. You quoted just a couple sentences. The very next sentence after your quote said this....."While the Eastern wild turkey can get most of its water from dew and insects, western turkeys such as the Rio Grande and Merriam’s do not have that luxury. These birds can be found in arid parts of the plains states and must have free standing water to survive. "

How much dew and insects are available when the temps stay below freezing for 10 days?

keeruss8

6 pointer
Jun 19, 2016
Marrowbone

Is that the banks that sells the fancy water tank that looks like a log?

Latest posts