Turkey population?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by INKYHUNTER, Mar 17, 2017.

1. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    The population is definitely up around where we hunt. I don't know if it is due to fewer predators or a few years of good broods, but I'm not complaining. Last year was the best we've seen and I've already seen more turkeys this year than many years before. I could just be natural cycles like I've seen in deer herds. Our deer are on a down turn for the last few years, so it sort of makes up for it.

2. Randy1974

Randy1974 6 pointer

Apr 12, 2016
    Checked trail camera yesterday still had a flock of 50 still grouped up looked like all hens and juniviles only 2 long beards in that bunch. They were in full strut . They never went out of strut on pictures that covered 30min

3. turk2di

turk2di Cyber-Hunter

Feb 25, 2003
    evansville, ind
    The hatch of 15 was awesome! Overall should be a great season! Last spring however was a potential opposite of 15 so Jake sightings could be down.

4. Valley Station

Valley Station Cyber-Hunter

Turkey flock is down everywhere I've. been. Flock sightings and flock size down.
    Down in Hart, Meade, Hardin, Jefferson, Bullit, Breckinridge. Fewest hen/poult sightings in a long time.
    Sure hope its not Avian flu or toxic corn poisoning.

5. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    Birds are low numbers or spotty in Nelson county, not as many around as used to be but still a few hunt able birds around

6. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Saw eight birds this morning in my Neighbors' field, with two being Toms.

7. CaseyRebel

CaseyRebel Fawn

Nov 22, 2016
    Still plenty in the county of Casey where I am and they come to my backyard to feed and along the hillsides.See anywhere from 30 to 100 along the highway on Hwy127 and that's about all the way thru the county and western part of the county they are plentiful there too.

8. rlb165

rlb165 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    They seem to be pretty consistent on our place from year to year. A few weeks before season comes in, we'll start seeing 15~20 birds, and we'll hear 1/2 dozen or so different birds gobbling. That is holding true for this year as well.

There are a few fields in my general area where I used to always see birds. I hadn't really thought about it until reading this thread, but I couldn't tell you the last time I've seen turkeys in any of these fields. This is in the southern Hardin County area.

9. 1badDart

1badDart 6 pointer

Oct 30, 2012
    KY
    Last year was better than the previous two years. IMO the turkey population is reaching equilibrium with the habitat. Our population exploded several years ago and I think it exceeded the carrying capacity of the habitat. Now it is normalizing, I could be wrong though, I'll have to ask my wife. LOL

muddhunter likes this.