Turkey Hunter Success Rate?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by rather-b-huntn, May 16, 2013.

1. rather-b-huntn

rather-b-huntn 10 pointer

With all the talk of record license sales I was curious of what our state's hunter success rate would be. I found this article which was a forecast of this past season.
    http://www.gameandfishmag.com/2013/02/19/gf-forecast-kentucky-turkey-hunting-in-2013/
    Pretty interesting read. Especially in hind sight.

It also notes the expected number of hunters to be 225,000. Our total harvest was 32,496. Thats alot of emptied handed hunters isn't it? Wonder how this would compare to the previous years? Just my personal observations tell me that its not as easy around "my parts" to bag a bird as it was 5 years ago.

I'm not saying it is like that everywhere but could our record harvest be more of a result of more hunters rather than the health of our flocks?

2. rather-b-huntn

So are there as many turkey hunters as turkeys???
    Something tells me this article may have its numbers wrong.

3. deerturkey14

deerturkey14 6 pointer

Oct 29, 2012
    Louisville
    I wonder if they are counting sportsman license as a turkey hunter. I buy one but I have never been duck hunting and rarely dove hunt. If thats the case maybe half of the buyers may not be true turkey hunters.

4. turk2di

turk2di Cyber-Hunter

Feb 25, 2003
    evansville, ind
    That's a bunch of turkey hunters!

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  5. toxic

toxic 10 pointer

Nov 10, 2012
    J-TOWN (LOUISVILLE)
    One thing you need to think of is how many people, like my dad, purchase a sportsman license and never even go turkey hunting. He buys one every year, knowing he wont use it, just to help the kdfwr on the financial side of things. I bet there are more people who do that than you think.

6. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    Can't speak to the hunter success %'s, but all I know is that I filled my 4 bird bag limit this spring on private land.

7. rather-b-huntn

LOL....Will the real Greaturkeyhunter please stand up!

Emu and Ostriches don't count. Well, unless you telechecked them. In that case I guess they would be counted :confused:

8. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    May need to swap tippet to 3x... and run weight & indicator this time of year.

9. rather-b-huntn

Haha...give it some time, he'll get a bite.

10. easternkyhunter

easternkyhunter 6 pointer

Nov 5, 2009
    breathitt county
    Kind of my situation. I hunt turkey hard for about 3-4 days in the spring (I work Monday-Saturday). And save my extra vacation time for deer season. But I always buy a sportsmanship license. Knowing I will rarely hunt turkey and never hunt dove, duck or trout fish.

11. big bubba t

big bubba t 10 pointer

Sep 4, 2004
    Waltersburg , KY
    Only 4? Did you not put as much corn out this time?

12. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    Actually used more corn this year, but I didn't get to hunt too much myself. I was too busy guiding paying clients to hunt on my own. I did "finish off" a couple of other birds for clients (if you know what I mean) that weren't able to close the deal themselves. My fault, really, I had those clients pointed in the wrong direction from the birds.

13. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    I think a lot of folks only go once or twice and many don't kill a bird. The numbers of folks who kill 2 is pretty small compared to the numbers who call themselves turkey hunters. There are a lot of people who just don't hunt them seriously or at all yet claim they chase them. IMO

If someone hunts a decent amount in ky and has some idea of what they are doing killing 2 birds should be pretty easy, but it seems lots of folks are unable to get the time, have a place to go or are able to have success even with some of the best hunting in the country

14. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I manage to go after turkeys in the holler behind the house on the weekends, and a few evenings after work. I wouldn't say I'm serious at all, though. If I hear gobbles I'll stay as long as it takes, but if the woods are silent I'd rather be mowing grass or getting the garden ready, at least doing something productive. Sitting humped up at the base of a tree listening to silence is not an efficient use of time. I'm not going to travel any distance to hunt turkeys, that's for sure.

15. nwest

nwest 12 pointer

You are still using corn? Yellow yelper has been frowned upon here before so we switched to black sunflower seeds.