turkey gun

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by kyoutdoorsman, Feb 26, 2017.

1. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Remington 870 or mossberg 500. What would your choice be, and with today technology with the recoil pads, can u take a 12 Guage and make it less recoil than a 20guage

2. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

Both brands will get the job done so choose what's right for you and fits your budget. While recoil pads have come a long way, I doubt you will reduce the recoil of a 12ga to that of a 20ga. Well, you may but you're going to have to have increased weight of a gas operated auto in a 12 and reduced recoil loads. With the advent of new loads in the 20ga, it would probably be easier to go that route to begin with. Remember, your hunting turkeys, not ducks. You'll be carrying that turkey slayer way more than you'll be shooting it. You can always strap it down in a good rest during patterning to help with the recoil.

Gooch likes this.
  3. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    Between the two, an older 870, like a wingmaster is my preference. I have an old 1100 3"mag only for turkey, most newer autoloaders will cycle any round and a lil softer shooting than a pump, you can weight the stock, even use mercury but not attractive for carrying. The recoil ain't so bad for one or two shots, but if you have health probs like detached retina or something maybe try a crossbow.

4. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Anyone Hunt with a 16 Guage for turkey

5. kill'n and grill'n

kill'n and grill'n Fawn

Apr 17, 2012
    Madison Co.
    Sometimes I hunt with my Grandaddys LC Smith double barrel 16 gauge. One barrel is full and the other is modified. I shoot high brass 6's & 7's with it. I love that gun, excpecialy now that he's passed on.

Capttrae likes this.
  6. Georgia Transplant

Georgia Transplant 10 pointer

May 22, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    I just traded for an old 500 in old Realtree camo. It came with a truglo choke which I think is a .665 and sights. I had to put a Limbsaver pad on it because of the kick but I really like this gun and it patterned well out to 40 yards with Winchester Hi-velocity #5's. I didn't shoot it passed 40. The action is fast, it loads fast and like that thumb safety.