turkey gun time!

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by kybuckbuster, Feb 18, 2013.

1. kybuckbuster

kybuckbuster 6 pointer

Jun 14, 2009
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Howdy! I'm looking for a good turkey gun for around $500. My knowledge is minimal but I know I want it to have a 3.5'' chamber and dipped in camo. How do you all feel about Stoeger (sp?)? For the past 5 years my turkey hunting has been limited but I'm now ready to "step my game up!" Excited to get away from the 2 3/4 inch all around 12. Any insight is greatly appreciated. You all rock!

2. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Just throwing this out there, two of my turkey guns are rated for 3.5 inch loads but I have gone back to 3 inch in them. The 3s pattern better, kick less and kill just as dead just as far. Food for thought if you run across a gun you really like but it is only rated for 3 inch shells

3. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I had a Gold that was chambered for 3.5 but i never shot 3.5s thru it.I sold it last year and bought a new Maxus thats only chambered for 3 inch.I have always liked shooting the 3 inch with 6s at turkey and for waterfowl 2 at ducks BBs at geese.
    My son has a Stoeger and really likes his,but his kicks pretty good even with 3 inch.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  4. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I've shot 3" for years. I consistently kill birds at 45+ yards. I thought I needed 3 1/2" also until I got my arse stomped in the dirt. You have a far more likely chance of getting a detached retina with them as well.

3" is all you need. You can kill turkeys just as far and just as dead with a 3".

5. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    A 3" will get the job done, no doubt. But you get a lot more shot and energy with a 3.5. Many more pellets in the kill zone with more zip at long range. I will probably drop to 3" in a few short years, but I'm staying with the 3.5" until it hurts.

6. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    You do get more pellets with 3.5". However, you get a longer shot stream which doesn't correlate to the best pattern. I'm not sure you'll get more "knock down power" with 3.5" over 3". In a lot of shells your 3" shells will be faster.

7. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    "Knockdown power" isn't all about speed. Would you rather be hit with a pingpong ball travelling at 50 mph or an equivalent sized lead ball at 45 mph? More mass = more force.

8. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Shooting the same shot (#5 win extended range for me) out of a 3 " produces less ke than out of a 3.5". I dont want to be hit by either one

9. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I should've clarified. My point is when you shoot a bird you'll likely not be able to see a huge amount of "knock down power" from the birds reaction. I've shot birds at 45 yards with 3 1/2" loads and 3" loads at the same distance. What I could tell the difference in was the "knock down power" in regards to the recoil.

What should dictate the load you shoot is your pattern. If your gun patterns 3 1/2" shells better than use those. But if it patterns 3" shells better go with them. Don't think that you have to shoot the biggest shell because that's the max your gun will hold. You won't be under gunned if you go with a 3" or stick with the 2 3/4".

If money isn't an issue do some test patterns with Hevi-Shot. I've always had good results with them in 3". I would suggest finding a buddy who also wants to test them so you can split the cost.

10. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    I've always shot 3.5 inch shells. But last year i decided to try something a little diffrent. I wanted a gun i could drag through the briars break ice or paddle a boat with. I went to walmart and bought a maverick 12 guage. Its pretty much the same as a mossberg 500. It was under $200 . I bought a indian creek choke for it. Then i went with #6 hevi-13. I will NEVER shoot a 3.5 inch gun again. This gun will flat get it done. Patterns great and i flattened a jake at 53 yards last year. My 3.5 gun has took the backseat to the wal mart special.

11. GunCat

GunCat 8 pointer

Jan 26, 2006
    Fairview, KY
    I’ve often joked that we were killing LBL turkeys (before they populated the rest of the state) with the old Remington Express #5 loads - then the turkeys got together and all decided it would take a 2oz load to knock’em over :cool:

12. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    Take a look at the Stoeger M3500. Shoots 3 1/2 inch shells and is a great gun. The one I have patterns great and is 1/3 the cost of my Benelli SBE.

13. Valley Station

Valley Station Cyber-Hunter

GunCat,
    I introduced a few Ol' turkeys down around Sugar Bay and Pryor Bay to the Federal Supreme 2 oz. copper coated loads in the early '80s. Reckon their survivin' buddies spread the word.

14. cracker0169

cracker0169 Spike

Jan 21, 2011
    Benton, KY