Turkey and deer bait

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by CHRISTANHUNTER, Oct 2, 2021.

1. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

This past spring, I reported a feeder near our property line on March 4th. I wanted it cleared before the 30day time period expired. Let's just say it wasn't. This infuriated me to no end. I just knew that feeder was going to get my property shut down. I went straight to my commissioner with my concern and ended up being contacted by the district supervisor in my area. They assured me that the feeder would be taken care of and I had no concern in hunting my property. So I did without incident.

2. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

There is a big difference in mineral and bait when it concerns turkeys. Turkeys may dust in a mineral site but they aren't actively seeking out the mineral to consume.

3. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

You ever try to remove mineral from an existing site? Probably not happening.

xbokilla likes this.
  4. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012

I agree but putting out minerals IS considered baiting. I heard them say it on the KDFW call in show and we had that discussion on here years ago and somebody posted the clip. Now if it’s an old spot nothing but the what’s in the dirt, I don’t see how that can be justified. But if no one used corn or other feed and just had mineral lick sites on various areas on their property, turkeys would still be “under the influence” according to KDFW.

5. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 10 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    But, was the feeder removed?

6. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Killed a gobbler a few years ago ,two game wardens came by,asked if I had any luck that morning,showed my check in number, the beard and legs. Told em the craw was full of corn ,they asked where I killed it ,they said they knew exactly where it came from ,across the creek they said ,and left.There was a hunting club across the creek.

xbokilla likes this.
  7. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012

This is kind of my point about other land. Unless you know who owns all the land around you and you’ve all agreed to handle your feeding practices the same way at pretty much the same timeframe. Then, chances are just about any turkey you harvest is probably “under the influence” of bait from somewhere. Maybe not always in the Spring, but Fall for sure.

8. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

No, but it was emptied and the ground cleared of corn and the forage block that had been placed near it around March 15th was also removed. My understanding was that the property the feeder was on was shut down to turkey hunting.

9. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

I know the owners of every piece of property that joins any parcel I turkey hunt. I make it a point to tell them that I will be hunting said property. It all boils down to a safety issue for me. I don't want someone stalking turkey calls and shooting me!

xbokilla and Feedman like this.
  10. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Tru dat! Do you hunt them much in the Fall? I know you turkey hunt a lot just from the years we’ve been on here. I hear people doing owl locators in the middle of the day during gun season in November where I hunt. I’m like, “WTH?”

Feedman likes this.
  11. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

Yes, I do fall hunt, but not every fall. If I think birds on my property can sustain a fall hunt, I go. I target hens in the fall and won't take a gobbler on my property although I have, in the past, killed fall gobblers. I absolutely love listening to a mixed flock of turkeys in the late fall/early winter! You will hear 10x more vocalizations in the fall than in any spring hunt. As for the "owl locators" during gun season, I hear barred owls where I hunt year round and all day and night. I can call owls into my yard on cue throughout the year. I'm guessing what you're hearing is the real deal or possibly members of another hunting party hooting to regroup or keep in contact with each other? Possibly a celebratory "hoot" alla Eddie Salter?

bowhunter269, xbokilla and Feedman like this.
  12. Velvet ears

Velvet ears 8 pointer

Nov 6, 2013
    West KY
    Was told the same thing.

13. Rosebud1920

Rosebud1920 Fawn

May 17, 2021
    VA
    ====
    Aren’t hunting regs state regulated? I always see a lot of general comments made about what’s this and that. Just wonder if we need to be careful when some regs are quoted in the site — you really need to check the specifics of your own state. Or — are some of these federally regulated — and the individual state’s Fish & Wildlife follow the lead of the US Fish & Wildlife? Not up on other states, and I do realize this is a “KY hunting” website. It was always my understanding you need to know your own state’s regulations, and that of any other state you hunt in. Some states are stricter than others, and what’s okay on your own property may not apply once you step off your own land. I’m sure many regulations are across the board, i.e., it’s wrong no matter where you are hunting.

Personally, I don’t know why you would want to hunt anywhere near food sites, and think baiting is really wrong - whether from post harvested fields, or baiting stations. In fact, just going out and putting corn down for any reason — whether baiting, or because you have a soft heart when it’s overly cold or deep snow is really bad and is killing many deer due to rumen acidosis. This includes the fawns does may be carrying. This is a biological gastrointestinal issue that farmers have known about forever. Anyone who raises cattle and other similar livestock knows you have to adjust feed rations slowly (over several weeks) especially with corn. Corn isn’t a natural food source for rumen animals, including deer. In fact, cattle and other ruminants have increased incidents of e-coli due to over feeding orders fast conversion of pasture/hay to grains, particularly corn. But here’s an article that offers a brief explanation on deer acidosis. They know in other ruminants that even if an animal is successfully treated for acidosis in time - they are set up for continuing bouts of it in the future, and it leads to other health issues. Deer are not as well studied as farmed animals but since there are deer farms, there might be more information from that point of view than hunting. There are many more detailed articles from universities, vets, etc. - just search “deer rumen acidosis” or “rumen acidosis”. It’s an extremely painful way to die and in cattle- it’s affecting the meat industry and thus prices to us. https://www.farmanddairy.com/columns/feeding-corn-to-deer-could-be-death-sentence/14324.html

Food plots, extension of habitat that include water sources, bedding areas, weather protection and natural browse are a much better way to help the deer populations and encourage them to stay around on your farm.

If you hunt — make it a fair deal. We have the big guns, etc — the critters just have their age old wisdom to try and outwit us in hiding and getting away. Don’t have an issue with food plots to help get bigger critters, bigger racks, etc and to help them out when foraging is low, habitats burned out, deep snow, and a dozen other situations, but to me baiting or hunting over any food site is just lazy. And I know my ancestors who hunted because they had no choice if they wanted meat on the table — would agree. And they probably had times when making hunting easier would have come in handy where we don’t need to hunt these days to stay alive. It might come in handy, or tasty to have some wild meat in the freezer but there is a difference in handy, and life saving. So I think we should use our wits and tracking skills instead of setting up over food sites — any. Though, at one time we would have have done it (hunting off the edges of our own harvested corn fields) I think that’s an unfair advantage too, but think purposeful baiting is just wrong, if no other reason than their health. Wildlife has enough to deal with these days with highways (the traffic and being cut off from habitats and food), people flying down country roads like they think they are highways, subdivisions and commercial/retail build-out, etc). Do they need to have us killing them at their dinner table. Isn’t it more of a challenge to catch them on better terms than lined up like at a arcade or state fair game.

Just my opinion, maybe I’m getting soft in my old lady age. But even having deer tenderloin fixed country style with gravy and onions served over real mashed potatoes with in season sweet green peas or asparagus slathered in home made butter. Or a roasted/smoked sirloin, thinly sliced, with bbq sauce, horseradish and piled on thick slices of home made bread — isn’t enough to make me feel less guilty about drawing in a hungry animal and shooting it just because I can. I at least want to have to put some skill into the process and give it a chance. Then I can feel good about the deal.

14. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Not legal to bait in VA correct? Is legal to bait in Ky. We're you against Sunday hunting in other states before Va made it legal?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  15. Rosebud1920

Rosebud1920 Fawn

May 17, 2021
    VA
    That doesn’t mean they don’t do it — a lot of rules are broken by some people if they don’t think they will get caught. It’s why we end up with so darn many rules because you can’t count on people to do the moral, responsible, or just the right thing, and some are always looking for a way to get around it. Every fall you see lights out across the fields and hear the occasional gunshots, especially if the gutless wonders think they can get away or not be seen. I don’t have any problem making a call to authorities. Killing an deer, who due to the way their eyes function are completely blinded by lights, is just beyond illegal. It’s gutless, cowardly, spineless, immoral, disrespectful of life, and as one writer said for “pasty sissies”. They might think they are big brave hunters, but they are not. These are people who are just killers, they don’t have any clue about the sport of hunting. They’d just as soon kill you and me as a poor defenseless deer. I might like venison but I have a heart and moral character. These people, are the same as the ones that kill or injure an deer and just leave it. One is cruel and the other is wasteful. It doesn’t matter to them, their drinking and hell-raising is done for the night, the liquor has run out, they are cold and ready to go home - just leave it, some animal will get it. Responsible hunters will walk their legs off or run out of gas tracking an injured animal rather than leave it to die like that. Or they use to.