Turkey and deer bait

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
Oh boy, here we go…
The regs aren’t specific on this, they basically say “under the influence” of bait or something like that. We’ve debated this on here for years. I had a Warden tell me that you can only control your own land. If you are baiting, can’t take one. If the neighbor is baiting, even if yours might be under the influence of their bait, it’s game on since you have no control of what they do. Additionally, mineral sites ARE considered baiting. People always want to fight that too. There’s an old clip of the Ky Afield call in where someone asks if you can take a turkey with mineral sites and they say no. Someone on here can dig it up, I’m sure.

Feedman

Cyber-Hunter
May 28, 2003
In the basement
Neighbors were baiting on a farm next to one that I hunt. Game Warden told me I could not hunt on the farm that i had permission on due to the turkeys being under the influence of bait.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
Neighbors were baiting on a farm next to one that I hunt. Game Warden told me I could not hunt on the farm that i had permission on due to the turkeys being under the influence of bait.

See and I was told the exact opposite so they have different interpretations as well. I said all along that I’d rather see limits decreased and baiting allowed myself. I mean heck, the ones who want to cheat and kill one are gonna do it anyway. Plus a lot of people who bait in the Fall but not in the Spring kill the turkeys where they normally bait because they are routined to go that way and check. Not sure how that’s much different.

KYH5N1

10 pointer
Jan 19, 2008
In the nightmares of turkeys
See and I was told the exact opposite so they have different interpretations as well. I said all along that I’d rather see limits decreased and baiting allowed myself. I mean heck, the ones who want to cheat and kill one are gonna do it anyway. Plus a lot of people who bait in the Fall but not in the Spring kill the turkeys where they normally bait because they are routined to go that way and check. Not sure how that’s much different.
You're fooling yourself if you think spring turkeys are killed because they are conditioned to a bait site. The feed ban begins March 1st. Well over 40 days before the KY opener. Spring turkeys aren't being killed because of bait by LEGAL hunters!

KYH5N1

10 pointer
Jan 19, 2008
This is absolutely true and I have seen several adjoining properties shut down due to baiting. I almost had an issue this past spring because of a neighboring property running an illegal feeder.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
You're fooling yourself if you think spring turkeys are killed because they are conditioned to a bait site. The feed ban begins March 1st. Well over 40 days before the KY opener. Spring turkeys aren't being killed because of bait by LEGAL hunters!

Not most spring turkeys but definitely some. There’s also some people who dump a lot of bait before the end of that feed ban which makes it extend at past March 1st. Are they breaking the law? If they got it out before March 1 and it all doesn’t disappear until March 20 what’s the determination? Just asking. Not arguing. Wouldn’t they still be under the influence?

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
Not most spring turkeys but definitely some. There’s also some people who dump a lot of bait before the end of that feed ban which makes it extend at past March 1st. Are they breaking the law? If they got it out before March 1 and it all doesn’t disappear until March 20 what’s the determination? Just asking. Not arguing. Wouldn’t they still be under the influence?
All bait must be removed by March 1st. GW could take a pic of a single kernel on the ground on March 2nd and bust your ass for hunting there come opening morning

KYH5N1

10 pointer
Jan 19, 2008
All bait must be gone 30 days b4 legal hunting may commence! Doesn't matter after March 1st because any bait on the ground produces a ticket able offense..

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
That’s exactly what I was wondering. What was on the ground after March 1st and that determination. With that being said these year around mineral sites shouldn’t be happening either. I always hear people talk about freshening mineral sites in the Spring.

Latest posts