Turkey Ammo Question

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by Rodeo man, May 7, 2015.

1. Rodeo man

Rodeo man 8 pointer

Aug 31, 2011
    Ive got an old double barrel, I'd like one of the kids to kill a turkey with next year. It's chambered for 2 3/4 of course. Not at all sure, how each barrel is choked. I need to find out, but I'd have to let somebody look at it, besides me. What would be a good shell choice for this gun?

2. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    You need to know more than "it's an old double barrel." It might be old and lightly used and built like a tank, or it might be old and frail and ready to fall apart at the first sneeze.

A good gunsmith can evaluate it and tell you what you have. Then you can decide what your shell choice should be. If you've ever had a break-action gun break open on you when you pull the trigger, you'll understand why you should be careful with heavy loads and old guns.

3. Rodeo man

Rodeo man 8 pointer

Aug 31, 2011
    It's a stevens model 311. Seems in good shape, I've got till fall season to get it checked out.

4. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Stevens 311 will handle any 2 3/4" shell you can feed it. I know mine has.
    You're gun is most likely choked full and modified. The way I check 311 chokes at gun shows and such is to see if a dime will fit down the muzzle. A dime will fit in the modified barrel but hangs up on the full barrel.
    I've killed several turkeys with mine using regular ol winchester super x hi brass #4 (squirrel shells)

5. OldEarnhardtFan

OldEarnhardtFan 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2014
    Northeast of Berea
    Trust "trust me"......he knows what he is talking about.

6. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    do you have an ex-wife? let her try it out first.

7. surfshark46

surfshark46 6 pointer

Jul 31, 2010
    Lexington Ky
    311's were produced from 1931 to 1989, so it should be usable in good condition. I have a 311 in 16ga that I have owned for 40 yrs, I used it turkey hunting with Remington Long Range #5's and took a nice bird about 10yrs ago. When I took it quail hunting later I learned the right barrel wouldn't always fire. I sent the gun to be repaired, and was told the right hammer spring was misaligned why it wouldn't always fire, the cause was never determined, the gun had been disassembled by a previous owner from some marks in the receiver. I took the gun quail hunting again and it did just fine.