Trying to get a buck before Archery closes

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by codeman62810, Jan 8, 2020.

Tags:
  1. codeman62810

codeman62810 Fawn

Dec 30, 2018
    Williamsburg, KY
    Hello all,

I am still trying persistently to tag a buck before season comes to a close. I live near Williamsburg and have been hunting the DBNF and Beaver Creek WMA. The deer numbers appear to be fairly low deer numbers than I am used to hunting in the midwest. My primary areas have dwindled after the gun quota and I haven't had much opportunity to scout new areas. I'm used to hunting farm country with crop fields and seeing 20-30 deer an evening. Looking for advice on late season hunting in this area, or anywhere in KY I'd have decent shot at tagging a buck these final days. Message me if you wish to not post it on here. Any advice/guidance would be appreciated.

Cody

2. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    The logical answer, is to go back to hunting where you were seeing 20-30 deer a sit.
    You can't kill deer that aren't there.

3. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
  4. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    ^^^^this...…...I was able to scout about a week ago and found lots of acorns being hit hard right now. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get on stand, but find the active food source and spend some time on stand. It's far from over. Spend more time scouting than hunting. If they are there, you can find them.

5. kyduck1

kyduck1 6 pointer

Apr 9, 2012
    Point #1 is KY deer are completely different critters than midwest deer. You can find some private farms like you describe but they are far and few in between in KY. Our deer seem to be a lot more nocturnal and skittish than the midwestern deer IMO.
    I love hunting the midwest and see why whitetail has such a good following there with the amount of deer activity and the deer overall demeanor. However most midwest guys I know that have hunting KY think it's super tough.
    Best bet is food sources or between bedding and the food. They'll likely be mostly nocturnal though and the woods are extremely noisy and clear this time of year. Stay after though...they are still out there.