Trump cuts deal with Mexico to fight illegal immigration, end threat of tariffs

Discussion in 'Politics' started by EC, Jun 8, 2019.

1. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Sorry but your argument is devoid of reality.

2. slobear

slobear 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2014
    china can understand quickly or get the same. It’s time for this country to shine, sure
    Done playing games. You can’t say one single thing that price will increase on. Not one. I knew it before I called you out.

Burn your text book kid, it’s useless.

3. slobear

slobear 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2014
    Also, you have a pretty terrible percentage of being correct, ever

4. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Ok scooter. Didn’t I just point out that anything containing an intermediary part made in China will see a cost increase?

5. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Park your fury tractor brick and get some rest buddy.

6. slobear

slobear 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2014
    Yessir. Have a long week ahead. I will check in to see what you and duster come up with. Good night and stop being a blind follower.

7. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    If understanding basic math and economics makes me a “blind follower”.....I’m guilty as charged.

8. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

On anything from Mexico, do you not think those producers are going to pass on the cost of the tariff's to the consumer ? Open your eyes and tune in to anyone but FAUX. From China better not shop at Wal-Mart or any place that imports goods from them, same thing. You will pay in the end The Walton's (Wal-Mart) are not going to lose money.

9. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 10 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Lots of Prices are going up. I am a manufacturers Rep and most of our factories have and are announcing price increases due to the tariffs. And that's ok with us. In some ways its a positive in that we earn commissions and just got a 5% RAISE. All of our competitors are in the same boat so it doesn't hurt us there. One factory we have uses US steel and is still upping prices because their competition is being tariffed. They would rather make a huge profit than become the low cost producers. For CLARIFICATION...imports coming into the country being tariffed at 10% will cost CONSUMERS ( you and I ) 10% more! The only way China pays a tariff to us is if the Importer is also Chinese and they eat the cost. The theory is that higher prices to us will reduce demand and slow Chinese growth and force US importers to look for the same goods from a NON TARIFFED country ( apparently already happening ). Because the trade imbalance with China is so lopsided, China has a lot more to loose than we do. HOWEVER! Most of our exports are soybeans, pork etc. which hurts the farmers which is opposite of what created this problem...it was china's theft of Intellectual Property. That is the sad part of this. IMO

10. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.

Of course they are going to pass on the price just like they pass on the price of TAXES they have to pay. We all know that. The HIGHER price the LESS people buy and THAT hurts Mexico. Look at China. They are shipping LESS goods than last May, people are buying LESS from China. Simple.

Another thing, ALL tariff money goes straight to the US Treasury. So far the US Treasury has collected over $200 billion from the tariffs on China. China cannot keep this up for long.

11. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Tariffs (taxes/fines) are used to
    •generate money for the goobermint
    •promote local producers
    •impede foreign imports
    The tariffs must be sizable enough to make the price of cheaper foreign goods higher than more expensive local goods. Tariffs are largely useless if not. The tariffs used to equal out these production costs will ultimately force the importing business/nation to increase the price of their good in order to maintain profitability....or take losses and face insolvency. Tariffs are inflationary and they require the consumer to pay more for goods. Tariffs don’t work if the prices don’t increase. It’s just that simple. There is no other logical explanation of the usage of tariffs. I don’t understand how people can honestly suggest prices won’t go up?

I agree that chinas theft of intellectual property is the root cause of this trade conflict. It’s a huge problem. Apparently president trump somehow feels tariffs are a viable avenue to address this issue. He needs to be right because he is gambling with our economic security and the growth we have recently enjoyed and his legacy will depend upon it. I don’t see how this could possibly end well for anyone in the long term.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  12. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Most do Wildcat but there are that few as always. I just have to laugh at some that seem to think the Mexican Government is going to pay those Tariff's and they can use that money to build a wall. Making Mexico pay for it. When in fact it will be the consumer who will pay for any wall built (if it ever is) out of their pocket.

13. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    I am hearing from some sources that no deal has been reached.. Anyone else hear this?

14. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    I haven't heard that. But I did read where hundreds from the Congo with Ebola are coming into Texas from the border. Thanks UN.

15. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    That's one way of looking at it BUT Mexico will sell LESS if tariffs start and go up like said if they don't do anything. Mexico will "pay" for it in LESS business, LESS goods sold to the US, LESS services to the US, etc. Like China, Mexico cannot handle that and it WILL hurt them far more than the US.