Truck or Gas Pump?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by timer, Oct 30, 2016.

1. timer

timer 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    A little over a year ago I bought a new pick-up. It has a readout that tells me - among other things - my average miles per gallon and the total amount of gas I've used. I reset the gauge every time I full up the tank.

I've noticed that when I fill up, the amount of gas I'm charged for is greater than the amount of gas the truck gauge says I've used. If it were sometimes more and sometimes less, I wouldn't think that much about it. But it seems that every time I fill up it is more - that is, the pump says I've used more gas than the truck gauge says. Sometimes it is a small amount - say two or three tenths of a gallon out of a 15 gallon fill-up and sometimes it is six or seven tenths.

It could be that the truck gauge is wrong, or it could be that I'm paying for more gas than I'm getting.

Has anyone else observed anything like this?

2. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    Gas pumps are *supposed* to be tested for accuracy by the state every so often, so I'd go with it being on the truck end, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

3. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    The total amount of gas used is a calculation your truck's computer is using with no verification that it was ever accurate except some engineer said it would work. The gas pump at the station is metered and checked annually (I believe) by the state Ag Commissioner's office. Also, different gas pumps shut off at different levels in your tank.

But if you're that close, I wouldn't worry about it.

4. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    If you REALLY want to get pissed off, then Run you 6 gallons of water out into a measured container.....Then look at what your Water meter said you just ran out.
    Probably about 9 gallons.

5. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    I am surprised the vehicle calc is that accurate. That is actually pretty good.
    I keep track of my mileage every fuel up, fill to neck and hand calc on a calculator. Gives me a heads up to look out for something going amiss, dragging brakes etc.

6. timer

timer 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    Ever since I was in college and the gas gauge didn't work on my car, I've kept up with my gas mileage. I thought it was really cool that the truck not only would calculate my mileage, but it would tell me how much gas I was going to need to buy. I expected the gauge in the truck to be dead on accurate with respect to how much gas I'd used.

It's just a little weird to me that I always buy more gas than the truck indicates I've used....Always. Happened again today.

7. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    I wonder if the truck calculates the gas used while idling? Or on start up?

8. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I know the Prius does just that.

9. Brit's and Birds

Brit's and Birds 10 pointer

Nov 24, 2008
    Oldham County
    Are you filling up at different gas stations regularly or typically always at the same one? If different ones, then I would definately say it is your truck as no way a bunch of different stations could get by with that if they are inspected regularly. Maybe the lone station now and then, but not a bunch of them.

10. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    Try estimating where you need to take on five gallons, then ten, then fifteen. I bet you see a pattern and will be able to tell how much off the trucks calculation is per gallon. Maybe the dealer can adjust if you give him the correction factor.

11. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    Seriously doubt the dealer can/will "fix" this. We have a bulk tank at work, I can make the exact same loop 5 days a week, fill up every morning off the same pump and it will be off a few tenths either way. Usually from where the pump initially kicks off at if I really work at it I can get up to an extra gallon in the tank just by trickling it in. If the OP is that concerned over a tenth or two of gas he should hand in his man card and go buy a freakin Prius.

12. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    Hey, Duster drives a Prius, doesn't he?

13. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    truck. my trucks gauge does not go below 1/4 tank. i keep an eye on the miles driven.
    a new rental Lincoln i drove last week did not show full when topped off.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  14. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 12 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    I would lay money on the truck being off. The vehicle doesn't measure fule used it calculates it. My work vehicle spedo is aproximatly 2 miles off this leads to my vehicles calulated milage being off and the fule used is consitanly off by 1.5 gallons. Maybe in another 10 years they will be able to be more precise in there calculations but at this time I would be happy with a few tenths a gallon.

15. stevenvalleyagain

stevenvalleyagain 10 pointer

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    Is that what you drive to go to all of those out of state canned hunts? Probably shouldnt have admitted to having a Prius.