Trophy rock

Discussion in 'Habitat Improvement' started by kyhunter99, Dec 16, 2018.

1. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    I do equal parts of each and it seems to work well, they will dig a hole in the ground to get it..

2. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I'm not disputing that. All I know is my brother bought one and they hammered it. I bought a couple later and they hammered both of them.
    Was it any different than a cattle block? I don't know. Could have been the same result. All I'm saying is deer seem to really like them.

3. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    I didn't use the mix I normally make this year but the deer did destroy 6 trophy rocks, one I can see from the house and they licked it every day.

4. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I have used TR and Deer tore it up. Whether it helps Antler growth or not. I don't know. I use the brown mineral blocks to. Deer tear it up. Whether it helps with Antler growth I don't know. I mix now with minerals and stuff that say help Antler growth. Whether it does I don't know. But I will keep putting stuff out.

5. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    In order for a mineral to help with anther growth it needs Phosphorus, calcium and selenium. And even then the deers skeletal system needs to be fully developed or most of the benifits will go to that.. a mix should contain no more than 50% salt, Phosphorus, as well as Sulfur, Magnesium, Potassium and all trace minerals including Zinc, Copper, Selenium. Always look for those when you buy a mineral block or mix.

6. RackedUP

RackedUP 8 pointer

Oct 30, 2013
    We use Redmond salt in the white and green bags. It has the exact same ingredients and mineral values as trophy rock. If you read the label it also comes from the same mine in Utah. It’s literlally the exact same product but MUCH cheaper.

7. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    When I mixed my own years ago, the deer wouldn't touch it....and from what I've read, it's too much di-cal. From memory, it was a 4-1 ratio (it was posted on F&W site years ago). Since the di-cal supposedly has what they need, your idea would be worth a shot.

8. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    yep, i went off something i read years ago, maybe QDMA. i remember 4:1 so that's what i tried. the dical i've found on the internet is like 18%, what i have is called mono/dical and it's 21%. maybe it's too bitter at that ratio. i'll mix less dical and maybe try the dried molasses.

9. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    This is why you need to buy a good beef cow mineral and you will get all the above ingredients at a fraction of the cost.

RackedUP likes this.
  10. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    Some of you are correct that deer will utilize even tear up livestock minerals, but they lack some of the key ingredients or don't have the proper percentages of those ingredients. So that doesn’t mean that any mineral that works for a cow or horse will do the same for whitetails. Antlers are roughly 20 percent calcium and 10 percent phosphorus. The product you choose needs to have calcium and phosphorus, in as large of quantity as possible. Most minerals specifically made for cattle are lacking from a whitetail’s stand point. These products in a block or granual form, are comprised more of salt than anything else and don't have what a deer really needs. You are far better off to mix your own or buy a quality product formulated for deer.. BTW many of these products came from the deer farming industry..

11. rlb165

rlb165 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    davers and Ataulbe1 like this.
  12. skin_dog1

skin_dog1 BBBC Members

If you're putting out mineral or TR for any reason other than attracting deer then you're wasting your money. No one has any evidence that feeding any mineral to wild free ranging deer impacts antler growth. All they have is random uncontrolled observation at best or more likely just plain and simple "snake oil". What is proven however is deer prefer mineral with higher salt content. The higher the better for attraction.

Feedman likes this.
  13. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    I toss a regular ol salt block in front of a camera, and get thousands of pics, when deer are concerned with minerals. Skindog is right imo, salt is all they lack in KY (only when it's hot), which is why they hit any mineral block, or Trophy Rock, or whatever Walmart advertises. It has salt in it. I'll sell you boys one of my cattle salt blocks for $25, and damn near guarantee more pics in the summer for you

skin_dog1, 1wildcatfan and ojibwa62 like this.
  14. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    Of course deer crave salt it's like crack , studies have shown the minerals may benefit antler growth and are beneficial to lactating does. Salt is great for pics but do little for your deer. I will add the benefit to antler growth mainly occurs once the skeletal system is fully matured.. It does little for antlers on 1.5 to 3.5yo deer. https://www.qdma.com/minerals-for-whitetails/

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  15. skin_dog1

skin_dog1 BBBC Members

Salt isn't like crack, they aren't addicted to it, it's a necessary element in their diet. Minerals "MAY" benefit antler growth, BUT only if your deer are nutritionally deficient (says so right there in the article you posted). People are convinced that sprinkling magic dust on the ground will grow bigger antlers. Fact is the only thing we can do to impact antler size is to let bucks get older.

ojibwa62 likes this.