Trip North

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Birdman, Jul 17, 2011.

1. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    21 flushes today. Killed 2. Today made my trip though. I killed 1 over my pup today. There was 6-7 birds that tore out pretty well simultaneously, all keeping out of sight. One made a cross in front of us an I connected on a crossing shot. The bird thumped some old railroad ties when it landed. The pup seen it fall, run straight over and made a picture perfect retrieve. I must say, one feels good on a moment of that nature...

I have a question. There is this red berry that we are finding in low, damp areas. Its a very bitter tasting berry, like vinegar. What is this berry called? We have pictures, but can't upload here on the trip. Whatever it is, we are finding the birds at them. These are where we are getting our flushes at. Alder thickets with these berries in them.

2. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Wild cranberries?

3. grouser68

grouser68 Banned

Jan 29, 2006
    It sounds like you are talking about bunchberry dogwood. We harvested a few with bunchberry's.Do the leaves resemble a dogwood tree leaves?

4. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    Cranberries grow in water Pentail.

Its not those Dale. These little berries hang on a tree 6 to 8 feet tall.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  5. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Yea, that's why they came to mind when you said low damp areas. You left out the info about the trees though;). I am in the high desert mountains right now, sure as heck ain't no cranberries around here. Or big trees, or grass. Pretty much just cactus and mesquite. There are some prairie chickens around here though, and quite a few quail. Hope y'all get on em today

6. JasonGoneFishing

JasonGoneFishing 12 pointer

Nov 26, 2007
    Kentucky
  7. Sialia67

Sialia67 6 pointer

Sep 4, 2008
    Rowan County
    Without seeing the plant, I will guess deciduous holly. I've seen this shrub in wet soils in Pennsylvania too.

8. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    None of those are it. A pat on the back to someone who knows. I've briefly searched the internet, but can't come up with nothing.

We started off the day by running into a wolf. It was a loner. I may be exaggerating, but every bit of 6 feet. It kind of put a damper on the mood for that area, but we hunted. I guess we hunted close to 2 miles from the sighting.

We had right at 40 flushes. Killed 4. Had the best dog work of the trip. I guess we had 20 points today. Couldn't ask for a better day.

We are wrapping up in the morning. Gonna hit our 2 best spots and head south. For whoever hasn't made the trip yet, if I can find out what these berries are, you will find some birds. That's where we are flying our birds. I'm gonna ask some locals tonight at the bar and will update if I find something out.

9. JasonGoneFishing

Nov 26, 2007
    Kentucky
    What about Holly? We seen a lot in MI this year in the lower wet areas

http://www.hope.edu/academic/biology/naturepreserve/Shrubs/Ilever.htm

10. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    No still not it I don't believe. Those berries are hanging off the stem. These berries we are seeing hang off in cluster's of 6-10 or so. They are just a tad bit smaller than a cherry. They are very shiny and bright red. Taste horrible. Vinegar like taste.

11. JasonGoneFishing

Nov 26, 2007
    Kentucky
  12. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    I believe that's it. What's the name?

13. JasonGoneFishing

Nov 26, 2007
    Kentucky
    Well, Im not sure, they were asking the same thing , still looking

14. We are still a couple of hours out of camp, but managed to get the first grouse of the trip in the bag......well in the grill.

15. uplandchessies

uplandchessies 10 pointer

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    I saw these while hunting Ohio this evening and tons when we were in MI.