Trip North

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Birdman, Jul 17, 2011.

1. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    Little Andi was lights out yesterday. I hunted her by herself the 2nd time. She was a 65 yard dog and closer the whole hunt. Crossed back and forth. She really put on a clinic. Had 1 unproductive point. It'll be a good week if our dogs do like they done yesterday.

2. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    2 hunters made their way down the old railroad bed. Both GPS showed point. 1 was a little farther than the other. Each hunter made their way to their dog through the thick alders. Machine guns started sounding. 1 bird would tear out, another closer. There must have been 12-15. 2 shots was fired. The first a clear miss. The 2nd was a connect on a crossing bird that was beautifully retrieved. There could have possibly been a 3rd fired or more, but the other hunter forgot to load his gun from the truck. Cuss words rang out down in the valley. The war had ended...

We had another good day. Only 1 bird to show for it, but we finally ran into some birds towards the end of the day. We had some unproductive points throughout the day. My pup Andi had a point on a woodcock that already left out. All 3 dogs have put on a clinic. We could leave today and I'd be happy with our results. This wind has got to lay down though. We must hunt in it, we drove 13 hours.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  3. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    It is showing that the winds are going to die down tomorrow. Talked to a guy that has a litter mate to our pups. Put him on the ground and within 5 minutes was on point. Killed the first grouse he pointed or even the first, the dog had smelled. Went 300 yards and the pup pointed again. This time 2 grouse came up. He killed both. He has killed several woodcock and a few more grouse over him. To say he is tickled, would be an under-statement. Hope you get to connect on a bird with Andi.

4. grouseguy

grouseguy Cyber-Hunter

Yesterday, I got to hunt with fellow forum member aferguson and his buddy, Bill, from WV. They were great guys and good shots. It was VERY windy, but we managed to fly 13 grouse and 8 woodcock, and they put 2 grouse and 4 woodcock in the bag ... overall a VERY enjoyable day afield with new friends.

It appears the woodcock have left the northwoods on these strong NW winds. I was hoping the winds would bring in more flight birds, but it seems they just took away the WC that were here.

5. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    Had another good day today. We had close to 30 flushes today with copious points. We brought 4 home. Trust Me had the lead dog today by far. She sat one hole on fire, going from bird to bird to bird right out of the truck. Then the dog Whisperer spoke to her for a brief bit.

A totally different dog whisperer spoke to my pup today. She failed to back my old dog and that let her have just a brief come to Jesus. 5 minutes later she ran up a bird that had a death wish. It could have been killed with any of the 6 shots. Patience was wearing thin at that point from what I seen of her yesterday, so we headed back to the truck. On a positive note, she did find a cripple that Trust Me shot and made a beautiful 30 yard retrieve.

6. jarrodcombs

jarrodcombs 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2007
    salvisa ky
    Bird numbers seem to be better this year than last. We are moving 20-30 grouse a day. Shooting has been kind of rough due to the wind pushing them into the pines, but i have managed to put 9 in the freezer in 4 days.My pointer pup is really starting to figure it out. Great trip so far

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  7. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    Where do you seem to be locating yours Jarrod? We have fount one here and one there in popple, pine mix. 95 percent of our flushes are from alder swamps with a good food source of crabapple or this other red berry.

8. jarrodcombs

jarrodcombs 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2007
    salvisa ky
    The first three days were all in the pine with tag alder mix. They have finnaly moved into the popple. Today we flew about 20 grouse and a million woodcock. We got 4 grouse and a few mistaken identity woodcock w

9. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    We are finding just about all of ours in alders with a good concentration of berries nearby. Weve tried the popple with pine mix, but only fly 2-3 throughout. Sure is easier shooting in the popple though compared to the alder. Im not sure it does you any good if you get up 30 like we did today, but can't shoot at them, just hear them.

10. Sat. can not get here fast enough. Keep the reports coming in guys. I can't wait to get here up there and get after them.

11. Can't explain how hard it is to work thinking about my trip that starts with GSPonGrouse Saturday morning. The anticipation is almost too much to bare.

12. grousec

grousec 6 pointer

Jan 15, 2009
    mt sterling ky
    Had to put my trip to Wisconsin off till Oct 26th. But with the warm weather that may be a good thing, I am really am looking forward to pulling out. You guys up there now leave me a few.

13. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    43 flushes and only killed 2. For those that hunt up here, you understand. 90 percent of these birds wasn't seen, just heard. Had more good dog work today. Has several points today. Lots of birds coming out of trees though.

14. jarrodcombs

jarrodcombs 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2007
    salvisa ky
    Hunted hard yesterday in the rain slush mix managed to take 2 grouse. One from topple pine mix and one from tags. Only moved 14 total. Sure was cold and wet

15. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Headin that way in 40 hours. Please have some nice trails broken through the brush, a couple of shootin lanes cut and tie some ribbon on the areas that are holding birds. The rest I will take care of. LOL!

Hope you guys get a sack full today