Trip North

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Birdman, Jul 17, 2011.

1. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Talked to a buddy up in the North tonight...birds are around but very skittish and jumpy. Getting a few points but the 75-80F heat is making for short days...weather is set to turn around in the next 3-4 days and better temps will prevail.

I just can't wait.

2. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Grouser- We are going up on the 23rd. We will be on the WI/MI brorder. Were you hunting close to that area?

3. grouser68

grouser68 Banned

Jan 29, 2006
    For years I hunted within 30 miles of the border but that area has since been overrun with hunters. Some research and scouting has garnered a totally new area not so near the border.We ran through my old haunt on the way to see a buddy I spent some time with overseas and found it to be pretty much populated with hunters.If you look long enough and hard enough you can still find areas with little hunting pressure and plenty of birds.

4. PCoGrousehunter

PCoGrousehunter Spike

Jan 21, 2008
    Butler Kentucky
    Grouser 68, good news. Trust Me, after reading your porch/sunset/dog/second beer description, I thought you were already there. We leave Friday. Guns are clean, truck is waxed, cleanand ready for the forest road dust, hunting clothes are in the suitcase, hunting gear in the box, e-collars charged, dogs have been tuned up, and all is ready to go. As soon as my neighbor can get out of work Friday, we are gone.

5. jarrodcombs

jarrodcombs 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2007
    salvisa ky
    I have got some reports from park falls area. Bird numbers are about the same as last year. 20-25 flushes per day. Birds aren't holding great, probably due to high temps and extremely dry conditions. I am leaving out thursday night I cant wait

6. grouseguy

grouseguy Cyber-Hunter

We flew 14 grouse today and 10 woodcock, but we should have quit hunting at 11:00 ... Just too hot @ 72 degrees and the woods and swamps are DRY ... Very little, if any water. Tomorrow is supposed to be rainy, with cooler temps coming the next day. Once that happens ... The fun level should increase quite a bit.

7. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    Headed north at 12 noon on Friday. This trip is one of the few times I wish time could stand still. Good friends, great times, and subpar mutts. What more could a guy ask for?

8. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    Guy's
    Just got back from Wisconsin. While there, set 3 records. 2 days on high temps and a record for the most days over 70 in a row in Oct. Bird numbers are, the best I could tell, about the same as last year. Killed very few young birds. Last week winds brought most of the leaves down. The last 2 days, flew a lot of woodcock. They have started to push south. Had some really good dog work. Was surprised, because of the high temps. Got to hunt about 3 hours a day. Most of the grouse we flew were in thorn apples. Good luck to all going!

9. Sialia67

Sialia67 6 pointer

Sep 4, 2008
    Rowan County
    A friend returned from Michigan's UP late last week. He reported birds in the hawthorns too.

10. grouseguy

grouseguy Cyber-Hunter

The FUN is here!! Hunted 4 1/2 hours today and flew 21 grouse and 35 woodcock..... Put 6 and 6 in the bag w/ Jake and two other hunters. Forecast for the next 5 days is highs in the low 50's and clear skies after 2+ inches of rain yesterday. Grouse gal's young dog Max had his best day ever. Life's good at the Flambeau Forest Inn and surrounding area!!! :cool:

11. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    Today was horrible conditions. Extremely windy! We did manage to kill 2 birds. Only flew 1 woodcock. Hopefully this wind will lay down and provide some better hunting. We had some very good dogwork today though. That made the day right there.

12. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    2 birds not bad on a windy day. Glad you had good dog work.

Any you guys hearing any issues with wolves in the area?

13. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    We've not seen or heard of any wolves Rick, but Grouser68 is a little more familiar with the area. He might be of some assistance to your question.

14. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    Hope your young dog is doing well. My litter mate to yours, pointed 4 grouse her first evening out. Killed 2 of the 4. That made the trip for me.

15. uplandchessies

uplandchessies 10 pointer

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    That's 3 grouse better than we seen. Weird about the woodcock. We had about 100 flushes. It's all about the dog work, though. I'm sure you feel how I did. Good luck the rest of the trip.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011