Trip North

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Birdman, Jul 17, 2011.

1. jarrodcombs

jarrodcombs 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2007
    salvisa ky
    I am willing to bet if they are pretty, they are either too young to move away from home yet or they are married. I have been going to park falls and surrounding towns for 14 years now. I could count all the hot girls on one hand. Jon theres a reason they drink so much beer.

2. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    Anybody heard from grouseguy? Just curious on how he is doing.

3. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    Im certain this one was of age. She was a bartender. As for the man, she might have had a Carlos. He wasn't mexicano though. He was straight, poofed out, hairy American.

I think he was the one who called Marty back after Marty slipped his number on the dollar bill.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  4. grouseguy

grouseguy Cyber-Hunter

I'm still here in KY ... I'll be heading north next Saturday the 8th and plan on staying through the 29th, and then going back for the week of Thanksgiving. If any of you guys are going to be there during that time, come on down to the Flambeau Forest Inn and we'll share some drinks and lies one evening.

5. bone hunter 74

bone hunter 74 Spike

Apr 26, 2009
    SANDY HOOK,KY
    Be leaving out on the 20th can't wait.Got all my 20 ga. shells bought up just need some time to warm up my shooting in up state NY before i go.
    Have been jumping birds up here wish i had my dog with me.

6. Chessie202

Chessie202 6 pointer

Nov 15, 2004
    Harrison Co.
    Leaving this coming Sunday 10/9 after my son & I get thru youth weekend. Going to Phillips, will try & update when I can!

7. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    The beer is cold in my hand as I watch the red sun sink down into the western shore of the Northwoods lake before me. A clean flannel shirt feels good after a quick shower, and the lawn chair is positioned on the cabin deck in just the right way so i can rest my sore feet up on the railing. A tired young setter is lying beside me, her belly full after her evening meal, and the fingers of my free hand rub her ears and scratch her head as she grooms herself after the day's hunt. She's earned a bit of affection and rest after a long day of many miles.

The scents of wet dog and charcoal and grilling pork chops hang in the evening air, along with just a bit of chill that is the sharpest reminder that it is Autumn in the Northwoods. The yellow aspens and brilliant orange maples burn brightly for a moment as the last rays of the sunset catch them and throw their reflections on the lake before me, and as I sit and pet the the dog and drink a second beer, the brilliant colors fade and the sky deepens into a dozen shades of blues and purples and finally into the ebony black of night. A few lights dot the edge of the lake as the residents make their final preparations to close down the cabins and cottages in the final weeks before the brutal Winter that is inevitably to come. The peaceful quiet lake of summer and fall will soon be an abandoned expanse of snow covered ice. How strange to me that it can so totally change in just a matter of a few weeks...

But the Winter is not yet here. It is still Autumn and there are grouse to hunt and dogs to run, and there is simply nothing else I'd rather be doing, and no other place I'd rather be right now, than right here.

Long Lake, Wisconsin
    October 2010

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  8. PCoGrousehunter

PCoGrousehunter Spike

Jan 21, 2008
    Butler Kentucky
    Amen, Trust Me. Thanks, I could see and feel all of it. Can't wait. Leave next Friday. Nothing like October in the Northwoods.

9. greenwing

greenwing Spike

Sep 17, 2006
    Olive Hill,Ky
    My trip north will consist of going all the way up to ohio with my father for thier pheasant opener...After running the ridges and hollers around here for a few days of course.

10. jarrodcombs

jarrodcombs 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2007
    salvisa ky
    Great post, trust me
    It would be hard to sum it up any better. Nothing taste better than that celebratory beverage back at the cabin or hotel after a long walk thru the woods. Hopefully I will be celebrating Friday evening. cant wait

11. grouser68

grouser68 Banned

Jan 29, 2006
    This season in the Norhtwoods.

New area-Excellent
    Dog work-Excellent
    Grouse population-Excellent, probably more birds this year than I have ever seen.
    Woodcocks-Almost non existant, my partner saw one.
    Vegetation-Was still green and brushy in some areas but our hunting was unaffected by the greenery.
    Shooting-Extremely lucky.
    Weather-Too hot, but survived.
    Hunting pressure-Some locals but very few hunters observed.
    Overall-Except for the temps it could'nt have been a better trip.

12. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Thanks for update.

You say there wasn't any woodcock. You think because of area? Temps? Weather? Birds not there yet or moved on?

13. grouser68

grouser68 Banned

Jan 29, 2006
    I believe there has'nt been enough cooler temps to push them in there. Also, it was very dry I don't think they had any rain in that area for awhile. The fire hazard was high.

14. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    That is what I was figuring. Rain is moving in this week with highs in mid 50's, lows close to freezing. Should be good weather to move them.

What cover were you moving the grouse in?

15. grouser68

grouser68 Banned

Jan 29, 2006
    They were everywhere GSP.We hunted the evergreens, popples, and mixture.A couple of the windy days we concentrated on the evergreens.Basically our best hunting was in the popples mixed with small spruce though.We lucked into a couple of small popple patches way back that had no sign of man and really flew the birds.We flew close to 20 birds in a couple of hours in there.We also tried some papermill land that really did'nt look that great but flew several birds.It seems to be one of those seasons that you can jump out of the truck anywhere and get birds up.