Trees on wrong land

Discussion in 'Coon Hunting' started by REMMAN, Dec 10, 2012.

1. REMMAN

REMMAN Spike

Nov 16, 2009
    The BS is that I have worked hard to have the land that I have and others have no respect for the law or land owners. I honestly could care less about your dogs and law is on my side. I had some coon hounds spook my horses one night and they ran through my fence. Nothing like chasing livestock after midnight. Those dogs should have been shot on the spot. You are the classic example of the type that gives your sport a bad name. Why hunt a huge running dog that you know is going to go where it's not wanted.

2. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    I will speak up for one smart coin Hunter. Had one stop by this summer to ask if he could hunt. I told him we don't allow any coon hunting. He then took the time to tell me that he would be hunting the next farm over and asked if his dogs got on us if he could retrieve them. Why couldn't more people do that. Or just learn how to use a beeper collar. Either way.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

3. carter county cuckler

carter county cuckler 10 pointer

Nov 25, 2009
    Hitchins,Ky
    I think your full of BS on this one.It happened at midnight and you seen them hounds chasing your horses,lol OK.I've coon hunted on horse farms in Lexington.On my neighbors land who has horses and some of my friends farms who have horses and not once I have ever known of anything similar or even close like that were caused by hounds,not saying it can't happen but not likely.

4. REMMAN

REMMAN Spike

Nov 16, 2009
    Hounds treed in my pasture next to my house, very likely they caused it. I have also had coon hounds tear into my quail flight pens and yes i caught them in the act. again you are the typical type that I'm dealing with and have problems with. Again stay where you have permission to be and if need to get your dogs get permission first, that's all I'm saying. And again you are the type that makes others looks bad.

5. Bowhunter.35

Bowhunter.35 8 pointer

Jul 2, 2012
    Louisville
    I completely agree

6. jayder85

jayder85 10 pointer

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  7. jayder85

jayder85 10 pointer

Here is where you are wrong. I coonhunted my self for a long time as a youngster and through highschool (and never trespassed in that time). I know many hunters specifically break there dogs to run trash so they can get an early strike point in trials. Dog strikes on a deer, coon crosses deer's path and the hound breaks away to the coon. So the fact that hunters don't want their dogs running deer is in some cases utter BS. I am not saying this is the case with all coon hunters, but just something to be aware of.

8. jayder85

jayder85 10 pointer

I hope he is being sincere. I just hope he aint the type to meander over to the property line and turn dogs loose on your place.

9. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    Oh I made it a point to let him know that if it became a habit that he wouldn't ever step foot on again. I have seen his dogs over on us one time in the past year and a half and I jumped on the 4 wheeler to check to see if it was him and in the 5 minutes it took me to get up there I didn't see him and the dogs were back on his side.

10. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    Jayder I agree to a point with what your saying. I believe competition hunting is hurting the sport. Back when I was still into it I had dogs that would hunt a holler out, if they didn't find a coon they're come back. It was pretty easy to stay on land I had permission to be on, but again back then I had permission from pretty much everybody around here. Drop the dogs and if they weren't treed in 15 minutes or so they'd be back. Load up and try somewhere else. My dogs were BROKE and if they barked it was a coon, end of story. The two dogs that I kept for years finally got old and passed away. I started trying to replace them and everyone had gone to huge ranging competition style dogs that would run a mile before they ever slowed down and started hunting. Thats ok if your covered with coons but around here at that time there wasn't that many. I spent a solid year spending more time trying to track down long legged dogs than I did actually coonhunting. Got sick of it and gave it up hunting for fun. I dabbled in the competition side of it around this same time and actually finished a dog out to a Grand Nite Champ for a friend in Stamping Ground. I KNOW this dog would run a deer. He did it the night I finished him out to Gr Nt. Turned him and three other dogs into a cornfield, he started squeeling every breath like a beagle on a rabbit. I knew what was happening and was thinking "you little SOB dont run that out here where we can see it". Two of the other dogs fell in, he quit and by the time the deer ran out in the open field he was down on the banks of Elkhorn creek locked down on a tree. Two dogs down, one to go! Made another drop and as we were walking in the two dogs would go silent for a few seconds, then hammering again. Got to the tree and the other dog was backed way off from the tree, like it had had its ass kicked.....because it had. It lost its points, the rest of the night went pretty much the same. The dog would run trash and fight like a pitbull but when you got close enough to put a light on him he was little Mr. Well Behaved. He wound up going for big money but for a fun hunting dog he was useless. You couldn't hunt anything else with him and if you turned him loose and there wasn't a coon stirring within 10 miles, he'd go 15. I've still got land to hunt if I had a close dog like I used to. I'd kinda like to get back into it but I'm not going to spend more time looking for my dogs than looking for coons.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  11. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Greedya$$ people........ greed is whats killing the entire sport of hunting; be it hunting deer, coon, turkey, elk, rabbit, quail, grouse, bobcat, groundhog etc....And i might add; hunting here in east ky is so dif. there's some places thats off limits to hunting, but for the most part, u can hunt where u want with nobody saying anything. i feel lucky to live in such a place!

12. jayder85

jayder85 10 pointer

Holler hunting dogs is what I had as well. Like you said take them up a holler and if there wasn't a coon in it they were back at the truck. I have no issue with guys hunting wide hunting dogs if the hunter has a place to run them without trespassing. But they shouldn't drop the tailgate at a place that they know a dog won't stay on.

13. carter county cuckler

Nov 25, 2009
    Hitchins,Ky
    You are exactly right,I love Eastern,Ky.Mostly good people and every once in a while you will run into a few pricks that think they own the world if you know what I mean.

14. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    By own the world do you mean the property you are trespassing on? Seriously people who think because something isn't posted is free range and the whole you will get your dogs back no matter what shows your complete disrespect for the people who worked hard to buy the land they own. That's why it's tough finding people now that will let you hunt. We have to deal with the landowners who think all hunters are as big of jerks as you are. Thanks again buddy.

15. carter county cuckler

Nov 25, 2009
    Hitchins,Ky
    Your Welcome;)