Treeing any???

Discussion in 'Coon Hunting' started by Nathan A. Nantz, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Nathan A. Nantz

Nathan A. Nantz Fawn

Feb 5, 2006
    Corbin, Kentucky
    Just wondering what kind of success you folks are having this year. I've had a great year, treed coons every night I've went, with the exception of a night or two that it wasn't fit weather to hunt. Hope everyone is enjoying season as much as I have been.

2. David Bryant

David Bryant Fawn

Feb 12, 2006
    Virgie
    You're doing a lot better than me Nathan, but in my case I'd say it's the dog power why I'm not treeing many. A lot of dens and slick trees, not a whole lot of eyes looking down. But I'll keep trying.

3. Nathan A. Nantz

Nathan A. Nantz Fawn

Feb 5, 2006
    Corbin, Kentucky
    David, hunting around Virgie doesn't help! That is ROUGH country. My dad used to work up here and he had a rental house in Virgie!! We are in thin coon here, and in seasons past I haven't done as well, but I have gotten some better places to hunt now. Its alot easier to tree a coon when you hunt where there are some coon!

4. Kentucky Cooner

Kentucky Cooner 6 pointer

Apr 3, 2005
    Owen Co. Kentucky
    I guess I also haven't had such a good year.Since about Christmas,I haven't seen any thing but slicks and big cedar trees.I know I have very fine dogs.But they keep me a wondering.
    I hadn't seen a slick tree since March ,til chirstmas came around.
    I hunt alot in Owen,Grant,pendleton,scott,henry counties.

5. Nathan A. Nantz

Nathan A. Nantz Fawn

Feb 5, 2006
    Corbin, Kentucky
    Kentucky Cooner...

Just my opinion, but Owen and Scott counties are two of the best counties for coon I've ever hunted in Kentucky. Lot of coon seems like but it doesn't necessarily make them easier to tree!!! Seems like I have good luck in that country especially during good ole corn time.

You going to Crittenden for the PKC Hunt saturday night ?

6. Kentucky Cooner

Apr 3, 2005
    Owen Co. Kentucky
    Nathan,your right.I think that owen and scott counties are some of the best coon hunting in the state.But at the same time you have countless coon hunters running them every night,including me.Haha.
    There getting pretty smart.
    Nathan,I have been coon hunting for nearly 20 years and never been to a hunt.
    I grow up in london,ky.Just off 229,just before boreing and lilly area.And just hunted with local friends and family ( Days and hubbards and jones,and Taylors,There all family) that just pleasure hunted.I have been sending some dogs here in the last couple of years to Ukc and Pkc hunts with some young friends of Damon Cooper's.
    I moved up here about ten years ago.I have been so busy working the last few years, just didnt have much time to hunt the hunts,and to meet many people that did hunt the coon hunts.Just been me and the wife and a young man up the road.But work has slowed down and going to try to get started with the hunts this spring,thats if I can get some one to help show me.Hahah
    I heard it is tuff.
    call sometime will go hunting....Anytime 502-482-6380 Johnny Jones
    mypaintedponey@yahoo.com

7. Nathan A. Nantz

Nathan A. Nantz Fawn

Feb 5, 2006
    Corbin, Kentucky
    Johnny I'll give you a call. Id love to take a hunt sometime. I dont have much, but even it lucks up every now and then! LOL.

8. Kentucky Cooner

Apr 3, 2005
    Owen Co. Kentucky
    Nathan,give me a call and we will go.
    I have been hunting a young walker dog out of Hoosier wasp.
    I have been told this dog could win the world hunt,but he trees slick about 40% of the time.Dont know if it is the time of the year or just him.He done great before kill season came in.I got a couple other,there just pleasure hounds.

9. Nathan A. Nantz

Nathan A. Nantz Fawn

Feb 5, 2006
    Corbin, Kentucky
    How old is that dog? He sounds like a nice one. A dog thats willing to take a chance on a tree will tree alot of coon. I'd rather see him chance one and miss as to leave a coon up. Some disagree but I'd rather have one tree a lil too much as opposed to not enough. You're on the right track with him if you ever wanted to competition hunt.

I'll try to get up there soon as I can. I'm in college right now too so I'll have to look at my schedule and pick a good weekend and get with you.

10. Kentucky Cooner

Apr 3, 2005
    Owen Co. Kentucky
    Nathan,he's just over 2 years old.
    Were you go to college.
    Just call or email when your ready to go hunting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Nathan A. Nantz

Nathan A. Nantz Fawn

Feb 5, 2006
    Corbin, Kentucky
    [​IMG]

Here is my ole potlicker...he's out of GRNITECH Clear Creek Rocker and NITECH Ky. River Chigger. Spring 1 year old.

12. Kentucky Cooner

Apr 3, 2005
    Owen Co. Kentucky
    Nathan,thats one fine looking black dog.
    I use to hunt the black dogs pretty hard.My dad wouldnt hunt with any other type hound.
    Up til 2 years ago,my wife was hunting a black dog out of high dollar dancer.She was A fine young dog.
    I believe the best black dog I have very owned was out of Hobo Hoss.
    We have 6 blueticks and that walker hound.
    My wife owns a super nice blue dog that was hard to bet in his time.We just use him for a pup trainer and for breeding at this time.He 9 years old,but still a real coondog.Heres a pic from back in the summer.
    Call any time or email.
    [​IMG]

13. Nathan A. Nantz

Nathan A. Nantz Fawn

Feb 5, 2006
    Corbin, Kentucky
    Hobo's Hoss is the reason I started hunting black and tans about 5 years ago. He was a great reproducer. This dog I showed you is heavy, heavy Hobo's Hoss bred. Them Gilliam boys that had Hoss have a new stud out of Hoss right now. I'm going fishing with them in Alabama part of my spring break and plan on hunting with thier new stud Slam and Kansas Junior while I'm there.

How do you like the blueticks? That is one breed I know very little about, other than I drew an utchman bred dog once and he was deadly.

14. Kentucky Cooner

Apr 3, 2005
    Owen Co. Kentucky
    Nathan,those hoss dogs are fine.I like to get my hands on one.
    I had a female out of Allen Holdings ( northern rocket)I was going to breed to Kansas Jr. But I lost her to some ground bees a couple years ago.
    If I had my choice of dogs to hunt it would be the black dogs.Matter of fact.i just ran across this young walker dog while i was trying out a black dog down in london.And came home with a walker.The wife dont much like the walkers.But the price was to hard to pass.
    I think Im going to hold out for a nice breed litter,and go that way.
    Now about the blue dogs.I dont know a huge amount about the blue dogs.We ran across this old male years ago and just had him for years and ran across a nice female,and there goes the blue dogs.Shes have alot of luck from them.Only thing about the blue dogs,is alot go silent.
    I got a couple good prospects out in the kennel thats only 4 months and hunting with the old dogs.I know its a little young,but I always take the pups on long walks in the woods and no better time than on a coon hunt.
    these pups are double jet 5 and utchman blue b.a.
    [​IMG]

15. Nathan A. Nantz

Nathan A. Nantz Fawn

Feb 5, 2006
    Corbin, Kentucky
    We may be breeding a female to Dark Hollow Slam soon. Slam is out out Hobo's Hoss and Bruce's Sherry female. Like a typical Hoss dog, he is an absolute wood marchant...TREE DOG!!!! One of my hunting buddies has a NITECH female directly out of GCH GRNITECH Nelson's Northern Rex and Dual GRNITECH Ivey's Grove River Honey. Honey is Setum Up Ace and Ketcherside's Black Pak bred. All grand pedigree on her except for Ace's mother. He approached me about taking her down there and getting her bred so I might be doing that. Its a long time from taking place, but if you aren't dog poor at the time, it might be a good pup to try out. Brandy make NITECH in like 4 hunts, and Jeff Nelson just superstaked her brother, NITECH Ivey's Grove River Rex. These will be outstanding bred hounds if the cross happens.