Tree Saddles

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kymuskie, Dec 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. kymuskie

kymuskie Fawn

Dec 2, 2018
    Lexington
    Anyone here hunt using tree saddles? They look intriguing, so I’d love to hear your feedback. Thoughts on Aero Hunter vs. Tethrd?
    Comparison to stands?
    Safety?

2. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Have seen them and nope. No desire to try either.

mac0492 likes this.
  3. Monster01

Monster01 8 pointer

Dec 9, 2013
    I think they would be fine if u were real honest with yourself about the quality of your ropes. U couldnt just use the one for years they would need to be replaced. Im kinda big but seriously thinking about trying one.

kymuskie likes this.
  4. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    have never tried a tree seat..
    I change out cables on my Climber every 4 or 5 years though.

5. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Never tried them and never will. I’ll stick to ladderstands and climbers. I just don’t see how hunting using that would be enjoyable.

120+ likes this.
  6. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I'm with littlebear, nothing about that is appealing to me. If I can't stand upright then I'm not interested.

7. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    That would be very uncomfortable after a very short time.

Genesis 27:3 likes this.
  8. howbouthemdawgs

howbouthemdawgs Fawn

Nov 27, 2018
    Yonder
    I have one. Going way back to the original. Thought it would make me lean and mean hunting public land. It sucked...
    Now I know people have been using them with success like mark kenyon with wired to hunt but it wasn’t user friendly at all for me.
    Don’t take my word though cause I may be missing the key to making it a useful tool.

kymuskie likes this.
  9. kymuskie

kymuskie Fawn

Dec 2, 2018
    Lexington
    I appreciate the feedback. I primarily hunt public land, so anything that is lightweight and quiet gets my attention. Trying to compare a saddle and Summit Viper climber right now.

10. howbouthemdawgs

howbouthemdawgs Fawn

Nov 27, 2018
    Yonder
    The summit would be like carrying a couch on your back compared to the saddle. But...you have to carry stacking sticks or screw in steps (if legal) with you as well. And then even worse than carrying them is setting them up. Me personally, I’m 100x faster in my climber than setting sticks.
    For public lands I bought a lone wolf climber. Light and folds very compact. You can change out the shoulder harness to one the has a chest buckle for long distance hiking (can do that with the summit as well).
    Not trying to discourage you from the saddle. You can google John Eberhardt to see him successfully use the saddle.

mykizha and kymuskie like this.
  11. kymuskie

kymuskie Fawn

Dec 2, 2018
    Lexington
    Good info; much appreciated.

howbouthemdawgs likes this.
  12. xilk123

xilk123 8 pointer

Oct 7, 2011
    clay co
    you arent gonna catch my 330lb rump hanging off the side of a tree in one of those. I messed my back up few years ago so I cant even use a climber anymore I stick to ladder stands and ground hunting.

13. gicts

gicts 6 pointer

Aug 29, 2004
    Louisville
    Since climbers aren't allowed on public land, I use a modified SitnDrag along with a single climbing stick and rock climbing harness.
    It's very lightweight and you get a larger shooting view. This video is what I went off of.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kymuskie likes this.
  14. kymuskie

kymuskie Fawn

Dec 2, 2018
    Lexington
    That's a pretty cool rig and interesting video. Thanks for sharing.

15. 5831

5831 Fawn

Sep 24, 2014
    My hunting partner & I both got Aero Hunter Kestrels this year. We hunt exclusively public ground. I can say that there is a learning curve to learning to use one, I would say buy one in the spring and practice before taking to the woods with it. Also, get a platform. The tethered predator is an amazing piece of equipment. I’ve hunted out of nearly every tree stand made over the last 20+ years and these things are comfortable as any cheap loc on stand. Best part is I can shoot 360 degrees, hide behind my tree, and can hunt literally any tree in the woods. With 3 sticks and an aider I can get 20 ft up. 1st season in the saddle and I WILL NOT be carrying my lone wolf climber on public land any more. It’s not for everybody, but I’d say it’s been a game changer for us. I love mine.

kymuskie likes this.