Tree Saddle hunting

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
You’re newer. We’ve had the talk through the years. There’s a few on here that do it. I, personally, have no interest. But if I were younger, maybe hunted a lot of public land, I could see the saddle being something I’d use.

Last edited:

woodsman92

10 pointer
Feb 16, 2019
Russell Co
I’ve got one, and have mixed feelings about it. It is a handy tool to have in your arsenal if your hunting deep on public ground, but it is not the end all be all. I tried to get into it cheap as possible and still spent a good chunk of change (for me anyways lol) and I think if your gonna get into it you need to be willing to spend the money on a quality setup. I’d guess about 600 dollars or so. If you know anyone with a saddle I would highly recommend giving one a try before jumping into it, and see if you like it. Mine is not very comfy, about 2-3 hours is all I want in it, but like I said my setup could be improved, I just don’t want to put any more money into it.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
One of my closest friends is 7'0 and probably 275 lbs. He hunts from one all the damn time. He loves his. Me personally, I cant justify spending $1000.00 or more on such a piece of equipment. Id rather set on the cold, hard ground.
I wondered how extremely large people would fair in one. I figured I’d just pinch my boys one time and hang it up. I may try to borrow one and try it.

Cold hard ground? Heck no. I use a millennium tree seat and set it on ground or mount it about 10 inches up on a tree. It’s light, comfy and I can shoot my bow really well from it.

GTbowhunter

8 pointer
Aug 26, 2020
Owensboro
I wondered how extremely large people would fair in one. I figured I’d just pinch my boys one time and hang it up. I may try to borrow one and try it.

Cold hard ground? Heck no. I use a millennium tree seat and set it on ground or mount it about 10 inches up on a tree. It’s light, comfy and I can shoot my bow really well from it.
Yeah I was just trying to drive home a point lol I have lock ons and climbers I rather use. Maybe like you said, I should borrow one and give it a shot. Might change my life, IDK, but when I see the "pro's" starting to hustle them to the public, I get weary.

AndySchulte

6 pointer
Jun 18, 2020
Louisville, Kentucky
I do it. I might run the cheapest set up possible.

I’ve got a sit drag attached to my regular harness, a tubular webbing bridge and a Hawk HSP platform on top of a hawk stick.

It’s great for super long trips into the woods.

GTbowhunter

8 pointer
Aug 26, 2020
Owensboro
I do it. I might run the cheapest set up possible.

I’ve got a sit drag attached to my regular harness, a tubular webbing bridge and a Hawk HSP platform on top of a hawk stick.

It’s great for super long trips into the woods.
How much is your set up? I know a few guys who pay like 200 per stick! I know some guys one stick it up a tree which cuts down on cost, but then they have a damn 500 dollar platform lol

woodsman92

10 pointer
Feb 16, 2019
Russell Co
I bought a set of hawk helium sticks for 99 dollars and just stand on the top stick, I never have purchased a platform. Think my saddle was 160 it’s a tree hopper recon, then spent some money on rope and a rope man 1 to make a lineman’s belt

AndySchulte

6 pointer
Jun 18, 2020
Louisville, Kentucky
How much is your set up? I know a few guys who pay like 200 per stick! I know some guys one stick it up a tree which cuts down on cost, but then they have a damn 500 dollar platform lol
I do the one stick thing up the tree too to cut weight.

I already had the Hawk stick. I bought the platform last year on sale for 30 bucks.

I want to say I paid 25 bucks for the sit drag.

I already had the tether and the tubular webbing as well.

rockhousehunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2013
West Liberty, Ky

I've got one of those millennium seats as well. I don't use it a whole lot, usually in a stand but when I use it, I love it.

Fawn
Sep 24, 2014
Ive hunted out of a saddle for the last 4-5 years. My whole rig is about 7 lbs, that’s really handy for hunting deep on public. I don’t like it for gun hunting, but for bow hunting, it’s great.
If you want to learn more about it, saddlehunter.com is a forum where the stuff got off of the ground, and a heck of a resource over there.

Cole505

Spike
Sep 6, 2016
I bought the tethered Phantom saddle and platform at the beginning of last year. It’s nice. Super light and very well made. Impressive quality.
As others have said, great for going deep on public.
After using it a couple months I found myself using my climber more often. the saddle is just hard to sit in more than a couple or 3 hours, at least for me anyway. I got busted more than a couple times because I was moving. I would catch myself moving way more than I should have been in that thing.
It’s a great tool to have but I’d go with a light climber before I’d recommend a saddle to anyone.

Latest posts