Trans Siberian Orchestra in Nashville

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by mrdux, Dec 9, 2013.

1. mrdux

mrdux Guest

Growing up in the 60s and early 70s, I became a huge fan of what is now considered to be classic rock. A few years ago our son showed us a video of a house in Ohio that had Christmas decorations set to music. That music was "Wizards in Winter" by a group I had not heard of, Trans Siberian Orchestra.
    My wife and I bought tickets to see them that year and have only missed one year since, some years seeing them twice in different cities.

I was fortunate to see many of the classic rock bands live from Queen in their early days, Pink Floyd, Electric Light Orchestra 4 times,Yes, Page and Plant,Savoy Brown, Robin Trower and others. Maybe it is just me getting older and more nostalgic but I don't remember me enjoying (yes, I do remember most of the shows) any as much as seeing TSO with my wife.

They played the Bridgestone Arena in Nashville for 2 shows on Sunday. We braved slick roads during an ice storm to get there. We were not disappointed. Here are a few pics from the show. We had good seats. They have an east and west band that tours. This was the west and I think the same group that will be in Louisville this week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2013
  2. bluegrassboy

bluegrassboy Spike

Apr 25, 2013
    Lexington
    I saw them when they came to Rupp. They put on a good show, it was fun for the whole family.

3. mrdux

mrdux Guest

The thing that surprised my wife and I at our first show was how diverse their audience was. There were kids just a few years old to seniors much older than us. Yesterday we had a family with 3 kids in front of us and a couple next to us that were probably in their 70s. Seems everybody had a good time. It is a good clean show with many religious references plus tribute to our armed forces. Many of their songs are re-arrangements of traditional Christian Christmas songs many of us learned as kids.

4. bluegrassboy

bluegrassboy Spike

Apr 25, 2013
    Lexington
    If I remember correctly it wasn't an overpriced show either. Tickets for other bands are getting to be outrageous.

5. mrdux

mrdux Guest

We had floor seats, 9th row. I think with TicketMaster fees and all they were around $170 for the pair. That's plenty steep but the wife and I figure that is our Christmas gift to each other.

6. artcarney_agr

artcarney_agr Banned

Oct 9, 2007
    They are doing a show Wed. here in Louisville. I wanted to go with the wife, but couldn't find a babysitter for little man....maybe next year...

7. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    I was there at the 3:00 show. From my point of view:

[​IMG]

8. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    Have you heard of the band "Savatage"? Old 80's heavy metal group that used to tour with MegaDeth and even had a member go join them? It's the same band. No, really. :) Chris Caffery, Al Pitrelli, Johnny Lee Middleton, and Jeff Plate were who made up Savatage. You saw them all last night. Maybe not the drummer, but you can see them all listed here:

http://www.trans-siberian.com/about/band.php

http://www.savatage.com/newsavatage/bandinfo/bandmembers.html

The bassist was definitely the original guy, he's at the middle of it all. Apparently what happened was that the lead guitarist for Savatage got killed by a drunk driver. The rest of the band took a hiatus but then returned and recorded a Christmas ensemble but with electric guitars. They were from Tampa Bay, and a Tampa DJ got a recording of it and put it on the air. The phone lines went crazy, and the rest is history.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  9. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Chris Caffery & Jeff Plate are in the East group of TSO... The West group (with Al Pitrelli & Johnny Lee Middleton) was in Nashville this weekend.

East is playing Cincy Friday night and West is playing L'ville on Wednesday. I've seen East many times now & can't wait to see West Wednesday night!!! It'll be great but we're sure going to miss our kids being there with us - they're both in the middle of finals & can't go. :-(

p.s. Savatage had several other members as well as the ones who are still with TSO. Cris Oliva was the lead guitarist who died in a car crash. His brother Jon Oliva was also part of the band & tours occasionally now with Jon Oliva's Pain. Zak Stevens who sang lead on many of their more popular songs now tours with a group called Circle II Circle. Another guitarist from Savatage, Alex Skolnik, used to tour with TSO but stopped several years ago & now plays with a group called Testament. (Can you tell I'm a TSO/Savatage junky???)

10. mrdux

mrdux Guest

My wife is a huge Angus Clark fan and follows him and Chris Caffery on facebook or some media site. He's the one on the left in the group shot.

corndoggy, you guys probably got a better perception of the lights/lazers/ pyro from where you were plus you can see the elevated stage in the back. My neck won't let my head make those moves any more. We sat on the sides for a couple of the shows we saw but prefer being close on the floor. One thing about the TSO audience, most prefer to sit and watch them perform which works fine for me. Saw Clapton recently in Nashville and stood up for most of that with floor seats.

11. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    It was definitely the best audience I've ever been in. The audience was 100 times more disrespectful even at James Taylor. Everybody sat down, and when there was a quiet time in the music, everybody STFU. The entire stadium was quiet.

Another interesting trivia bit... one of the keyboard girls is apparently who plays for Moby.

12. ky.longbeard

ky.longbeard 10 pointer

May 15, 2010
    TSO is awesome......I wanted so bad to go to the show at ,Louisville,but have a medical procedure early Thursday morning that wouldn't allow me to go. !lad you guys enjoyed the show.Maybe next year for me !

13. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    That one chick can sing. I'm guessing it was Chloe Lowery.

Disappointed that I didn't see Autumn Guzzardi though. I don't much care if she can sing or not.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  14. mrdux

mrdux Guest

Funny thing about TSO is they actually encourage their fans to take pictures and post concert videos online. I would say it's a great marketing tool.

Check out "Wizards in Winter" from November. This is the group we saw Sunday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3V3kLYEwDg

15. nontypical

nontypical 6 pointer

Oct 22, 2005
    paducah,ky
    We were at 300 show also. That looks about like our point of view. Definitely see them again. Maybe 23rd in St. Louis. Anyone know if same ones will b in St. Louis that were in nashville?