trailer

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by mulehead, Dec 26, 2014.

1. mulehead

mulehead 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2009
    in the hills
    Got a heck of a deal on a 5x8 trailer. Is was bought new last year. I wanna repaint it,,, Would u repaint it or primer then repaint it

2. stevenvalleyagain

stevenvalleyagain 10 pointer

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    Depends. Does it have some kind of hard enamel paint on it already? If so, you will probably have to sand blast it first then primer, then paint. If it just has a couple rust spots, I would sand those spots down to bare metal then spray paint to prevent further rust. Painting the whole thing will be ALOT of work most likely.

3. muzzy125acc

muzzy125acc 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2002
    PULASKI CO..
    Bhicks is the trailer restore man. Pm him with any questions.

4. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

I've seen some of his work. Truly amazing, what that man can do with a paint can and a few beers. He's the best anywhere around here. He painted a guys trailer for him a couple of years ago. The guy tried to pay him, but Bhicks wouldn't take a nickle from the guy. Said something about the smile on the guys face was worth more than money to him. Heart of gold.

5. headoftheholler

headoftheholler 12 pointer

Oct 16, 2007
    Getshot, KY
    Bhicks painted my doublewide in camo. The company he owns has a sale going on right now, ask for the SPSB special, I think its 40% off

6. KY Helim

KY Helim 6 pointer

Jun 13, 2014
    I'd prime it even though it's only a year old with a good rust inhibitor and then paint it. Most trailers are painted with cheap paint from the builders with no primer

7. B Hicks

B Hicks 12 pointer

Sep 29, 2006
    Lancaster, KY
    Brush away as much of the rust as you can using a wire brush. The more large flakes of rust you can remove with the brush, the faster and easier it will be to remove the remaining rust with the steel wool. Generally, it's easier to brush than to scrub with the steel wool.
    Scrub away any remaining rust using a steel wool pad. Remove as much of the rust as you can, however, if there small non-flaking rust spots remaining you can cover them with a rust sealer product. Keep in mind, however, that the more rust you remove, the better shape your trailer will be in and the longer it will probably be before you have to paint again.
    Wash the trailer by spraying it and wiping it down with auto soap mixed with water. Be sure to remove any dust created when you scrubbed away the rust as well as any dirt, grease or other debris.
    Dry the trailer with a soft clean rag and let it sit for a few hours to air dry completely before beginning painting.
    Tape off any areas that you don't want to paint with painters tape and old newspapers.
    Lay out a drop cloth or plastic sheeting underneath and around the trailer if you don't want paint on the ground or driveway.
    Spray commercial rust sealer on any remaining rusty areas. This step is optional if you were able to remove most of the rust and don't expect it to come through the paint.
    Wait for the rust sealer to dry completely. This should take at least two hours.
    Spray a thin coat of paint on to the trailer, making sure to cover all corners and edges that you want painted. You may not get complete coverage on the first coat, but this is normal and a second coat will give complete coverage.
    Wait for the paint to dry c ompletely. Allow at least two to four hours. The paint should feel completely dry and not sticky or tacky to the touch.
    Apply a second thin coat of paint in the same way you applied the first. Be sure to paint all corners and edges.
    Wait for the paint to dry completely. This will take another two to four hours.
    Remove the painter's tape. Your trailer is ready to use so long as your tires, wheels, bearings, axle and lug nuts are in good shape. If you have mechanical issues, Keith Meador would be your contact, as well as any plumbing issues. He's helped a lot of folks out with their sinks. Livestock questions should be addressed to Muzzy125acc, particularly if you have any questions about boer goats and sheep. Good luck!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  8. muzzy125acc

muzzy125acc 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2002
    PULASKI CO..
    Did these help?