Trail Cameras

Discussion in 'Game Trail Cameras & Camcorders' started by Junglekat, Aug 1, 2021.

1. What are some pretty good non cellular trail cameras,I have not bought any in a while.Is cellular the way to go,10.00 a month per camera

2. Strut 'N' Buck

Strut 'N' Buck 10 pointer

Apr 16, 2011
    Shepherdsville, KY
    If you go cellular, get tactacam reveals. For the money, they’re hard to beat. And in my opinion, if you’re going to spend $100+ on a regular trail cam, might as well get a cell cam. Even if you don’t get good service or they don’t send every pic, it’s still better than before and you can still check the sd card like normal. Win win if you ask me

Grago and Duckwisperer like this.
  3. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    www.Trailcampro.com

Drahts and Junglekat like this.
  4. Rob7

Rob7 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2004
    I have for years been a big Covert (MP16) fan however recently decided to try a few of the Brownings (Browning Strike Force HD PRO X) based on a recommendation from a friend. Have been pleased with the Brownings and still pleased with the Coverts. I have 2 of the tactacam reveals but will not be adding anymore this year due to the reoccurring cost of the monthly plan. I think the coverts are just a smidge over 100 and the Brownings were around 150.

Junglekat likes this.
  5. redlickranch

redlickranch 10 pointer

Dec 11, 2007
    Bullitt County
    Check Rural King for Wildgame cams for around $40. The only thing is don't mix SD cards with other cams or they freak out. I make sure I format after viewing and have not had any issues.

I have 7-8 Coverts and they work well when they work. I have some of the ones that don't have a screen inside that work the best. The ones with a screen inside will give me trouble.

Cuddebacks are also pretty good I am still running some I got at Christmas a few years ago for $59 each.

I have had all kinds of issues with Moultrie cams. I bought two an DUNN's after Christmas and then went to use them that following fall and two of them never powered on. Shipped them in for service and they told me they were out of warranty and wouldn't send them back.

I own two Stealth cams I bought at Costco a few years ago. They take GREAT photos and even pick up sound in video, but set up is a pain and they burn through batteries.

6. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    I have Browning and Spypoint non-cellular cameras. They both have served me well for 5 yrs. Had a couple start having issues last fall that I need to replace but haven't yet. Reconyx probably makes the best non cell cam but I ain't paying that price for a regular trail cam. I've got a new neighbor and a bit concerned about theft now that I wasn't before. So cell cams are in lock boxes now.

7. bones66

bones66 Fawn

May 3, 2008
    KY
    You guys with the Browning Cameras. I looked into them however it mentions that you need to download some sort of Browning software to view photos. Can you elaborate?

8. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    I have several Browning Non-Cellular cams and need no app to look at the pictures. I just open the file on the card and go thru the pics.

9. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Same^^^^^

NOCAMST likes this.
  10. Mt Pokt

Mt Pokt 8 pointer

Nov 8, 2018
    Campbell County
    I have quite a variety of cams. Just about everything - old C cell Tasco cameras, Moultrie, Wild Game Innovations, Spypoints, Stealth Cam, and Browning which turned out to be disappointing. Gread day videos from the Browning, but I'm lucky to get a single frame on 90% of night videos.
    I'm not terribly brand loyal. Anymore I look for wide field of view and video with sound.
    Picked up 3 Cabelas cameras a few weeks back and they seem to work pretty well. Good quality videos with sound, but a little narrower field than I like.
    Find the ones in your budget, do some online research, and go from there.
    I have 10 CuddeLink cameras set up for security around my place. Zero complaints about them.

Like others have said. Put card in computer, view, save what you want, and format the card. Since doing that every time I've not had any issues with using any cards in any cameras.

My box of cameras that have crapped out over the years has more Wild Game Innovations and Stealth Cams than any other brands.

Other than my CuddeLink cameras, I have zero that I spent more than $100 on. Most about $70.

11. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 12 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    I love my browning cameras. If you decide to go with them make sure you keep track of proof of purchase. Their customer service is good but getting a replacement without is almost impossible

12. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I looked hard at that Cuddelink system but was too cheap to pull the trigger. How far apart do you have them and how's the battery life?

13. bones66

bones66 Fawn

May 3, 2008
    KY
    Sorry to be repetitive but can you help me with the Browning software. I usually just pull my card out and put it into my computer and scan my pictures. Why is special software needed.

14. Mt Pokt

Mt Pokt 8 pointer

Nov 8, 2018
    Campbell County
    Quick answer:
    The furthest is 850 yards (~.5 mile) from the "Home" camera.
    Those not on solar panels get between 2 and 4 months with the 12 AA batteries depending on how many photos; of course.
    I have these set up for security, not critters so I don't get photos from every camera, every day. The busiest ones happen to be the same ones with solar panels.

Minutiae:
    #1 is the Home Camera. It's in the vicinity of my barn. It has a Cudde solar charger and has been untouched for 527 days.
    #2 is downhill along the road to my bottoms about 350 yards from #1. The solar charger, or the rechargeable batteries crapped out in January. I've changed the batteries in it twice since then.
    #3 is about 500 yards from #1 and on a ridge at about the same elevation as #1 but in the woods. I change the batteries about every 3-4 months on this camera. This camera happens to have a giant oak tree in front of it which is dropping acorns like mad and the turkey and deer are burning it up. I'll probably have to change the batteries in a few weeks. They'll last about a month with the acorn issue.
    #4 is about 500 yards from #1 and on a ridge at about the same elevation as #1 and in the woods as well. I change these batteries about every 3-4 months.
    #5 is about 850 yards from #1. On a ridge at about the same elevation with plenty of trees between the two. This one is on a solar charger and hasn't been touched for 554 days.
    #6, #7, #8 are all within the 25 yards of the barn, covering the barn and its entrances. The are are all on solar chargers and haven't been touched in 459 days except #6 which I had moved Saturday.
    #9 is about 350 yards from #1 along the road to my barn. It's on a solar charger as well and hasn't been touched in 459 days.
    #10 is about 800 yards from #1 in a valley along a creek. There are two heavily wooded hills between #10 and #1.

Cameras #5 and #10 are 2 links from #1 meaning that the photos they take are passed to #1 through another camera, presumably #2 or #4.
    Camera #1 sends all photos to me via text and email which is why it has almost 17,000 images to its credit.
    SD Images on the other cameras are how many photos the camera has taken, not how many are stored.

All these cameras are set in Surveillance mode - meaning they will overwrite the oldest photos once the SD if full. As a result, the SD Free Space is basically the card capacity less the firmware on the disc.

This is the daily report I get via text and email. Yes... I'm going to correct the Camera ID when I update the firmware next time.
    Cuddelink.jpg

muddhunter likes this.
  15. Mt Pokt

Mt Pokt 8 pointer

Nov 8, 2018
    Campbell County
    You shouldn't need any special software. Just put the card in your computer and viola, your file explorer will open and you can view them with whatever you want. At least none of my Browning or other cameras are reliant on any proprietary software.

I assume Browning is like many of the other manufacturers in that they have software you can download and manage your photos, but it's not necessary.