Trail Camera

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by LoneArrow, Aug 20, 2017.

1. LoneArrow

LoneArrow 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2016
    Scott County
    Just picked up two trail cameras and put em out yesterday afternoon... cant wait to go back and check em. Figure I will swap cards on opening day unless we get a good rain a few days before and I can sneak in while its raining.

How long do you wait to swap cards? Do you have particular conditions when you make a swap, maybe like rain or wind direction?

2. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    If I had a land job I'd check them about once a week, seeing as how I work offshore though I only check them about once every 6 weeks

3. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    I have one myself and try to check on it after one week. That lets me know whether I need to move it or leave it there longer. If I'm getting good pictures I will leave it much longer. So it depends upon whether or not you have other places that you want to try it, and how well it is doing where it is. With a new cam I doubt you will be able to wait long! Lol; It's hard!

4. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    When I get a chance to get to the woods about once per week. Early season and preseason like now, sometimes once every two to three weeks.

5. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I check mine about every 2 weeks .....which honestly... I try not to do it any sooner than that.

Monster01 likes this.
  6. LoneArrow

LoneArrow 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2016
    Scott County
    Anyone else see the post on facebook by the QDMA, asking for trail cam pictures from today in relation to the solar eclipse? I wonder how much it affects deer. They say tag your pictures with #Deerclipse.

7. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I don't Facebook....so I haven't seen it.....but have no doubt it effects animals...especially deer as the rut is triggered by photoperiodism ..the amount of daylight.

Which the entire eclipse process will take hours from partial to total ..concerning areas in the direct path. Being that total darkness for a brief period in the middle of the day will release massive amounts of rut hormones initiating an immediate false rut.

I would expect a very intense flurry of rut activity today anywhere from rubs, scrapes, fighting, chasing and even breeding will occur. Which many believe this "false eclipse rut" will effect the normal patterns and expect very dismal to non-existent rut activity in November.

Hopefully.... a lot of people will capture this phenomenon on trail cams.

LoneArrow likes this.
  8. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I check mine every 10 to 14 days and try and do it around mid day.

9. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    Now that's funny! Lol

10. LoneArrow

LoneArrow 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2016
    Scott County
    Do you pay much attention to scent control or wind direction when you go in to pull?

11. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    I'd say a lot of that depends on where your camera is. One farm I'm very picky about when, where, and how I approach. Another I literally drive right up to it in my vehicle. But that farm is an exception. Farmer drives around it regularly.

LoneArrow likes this.
  12. PHILIPRILEY16

PHILIPRILEY16 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2009
    I agree with above post our farm we are always driving tractors doing various things so when I go check my cameras I drive one of the tractors right up and check it. Even large bucks don't seem to pay attention as I've got pics 30 min after I've left and the bigger bucks are not affected. I usually check mine about every week week and a half till I see what I'm looking for . Which most my cameras are on corn and I refill every week any ways

13. Mob169"

Mob169" 6 pointer

Aug 14, 2010
    Solely depends on the time of year or season and the situation

14. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Not really. Like some have said, it's farm country and they are used to a little intrusion from time to time. I go in and out and stay away the rest of the time if possible.

15. LoneArrow

LoneArrow 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2016
    Scott County
    Well I guess I need to move my Cameras back some... IMG_0463.jpg IMG_0464.jpg IMG_0465.jpg

bondhu likes this.