tragedey strikes at peabody(UPDATE)

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by kydirtdog44, Jan 17, 2012.

1. kydirtdog44

kydirtdog44 6 pointer

Dec 23, 2011
    PENDLETON CO
    GUYS THANK TO ALL WHO HAVE RESPONDED TOP THIS POST, I HAVE TO SAY I WAS MIS INFORMED ON THE SITUATION EARLIER I WAS TOL THERE WERE 3 GUYS 3 TRUCKS AND 3 BOXES BUT THAT WAS INCORRECT I HAVE THE REAL DEATIALS. THERE WAS ONE TRUCK AND 3 GUYS AND 12 DOGS IT WAS A FULL SIZED TRUCK AND DOG BOX, BUT THERE WERE 6 DOGS ON EACH SIDE , SO NOW THEY R LEANING THEY WAY OF SUFFICATION I M NOT FOR SURE YET THEY HAVENT RECIEVED AND RESULTS YET FROM THE LAB A UK . I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN I HEAR SOMETHING . ps i would have thought theese guys would have known better than to put 12 beagles in one box. i coon hunt and wont haul 2 in one side of my box espically when its warm

2. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Wouldn't that leave one dog in each box surviving?

3. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    That's a tough lesson to learn. After reading this I opened John Wick's book "Walk with Wick: The Tree Dog Encyclopedia" Volume I and turned to the chapter called "Safe and Smart Dog Hauling." The first sentence of the chapter reads, "In this chapter I'll tell you about a lesson that cost me $3,000 and made me sit down and bawl like a baby." Wick describes how he hauled four Walker coon hounds inside a dog box that only had "six, one inch diameter holes drilled in it." After nine hours inside the box all of the dogs inside were dead. To show just how critical good ventilation is, he has a picture of all four dogs dead lying side-by-side on the grass. A few days latar he put 50, two inch holes on each side. He has a few other stories of friends or acquaintances making the same mistake.

I would suggest this chapter recommended reading for anyone hauling dogs. He makes the point that a dog has a far greater chance of dying of suffocation rather than exposure from the elements. I recently sold my old alucobond dog box that I felt was too tight. My new box is a diamond plate rectangular shaped box that runs the length of my F-150. It has four compartments, each with jailhouse bar doors that have a sheet of aluminum that can be removed to open up the door for ventilation. On the back it has two fairly large vents that make the back of the two inner compartments. There are two sliding doors that can be opened on the sides for ventilation for the two outer compartments. So, each compartment has ventilation on either the back and side or the back and front. After watching my dogs run swampers in ice covered swamp muck with their fur matted in ice and tails looking like frozen pipe cleaners, I'm not worried about them dying of exposure in my dog box.

One a side note, I'm not a coon hunter, but this is a good read for anyone interested in hunting dogs. Wick has a lot of good information especially on breaking hounds off of deer, his take on back tracking and on linebreeding dogs. These books are well worth the money as each will set you back about $40.

4. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Good information. You can get lax in your habits and forget that just because it's worked this long, doesn't mean it's not a dangerous thing to do.

My box is small, but the doors have the jailhouse bars and I think that is better ventilation than the small drilled holes.

A common mistake, in my opinion, is to think that the dogs will get cold in the box. As long as the wind is off of them and they're not laying on bare metal, cold won't be a problem. Heat in the summer is a far more dangerous issue than cold in the winter. Asphixiation, as appears to be the problem in the orginal post, is the big danger in the winter.

5. brettfrancis1

brettfrancis1 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2006
    Danville, KY
    I hear about people losing dogs all the time due to closing vents on their box. I don't ever think I've heard about one freezing.

6. kydirtdog44

kydirtdog44 6 pointer

Dec 23, 2011
    PENDLETON CO
    Guys they r not for sure it was suffication (i said they were leaning that way still waitint on the results of the autopsies will keep u in formed)

7. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    I have a 3 door box each can haul two dogs comfortably with each dog having its own space no crowding. The box has bars on the doors and each compartment has its own sliding vent with bars also. I very rarely close the vents unless its unbearably cold and were traveling long distance. When going north I usually half open the slides just to let air move thru without beating the dogs to death. I can't imagine having that many dogs closed in together I would imagine it wouldn't take long to use up the oxygen and be left with poison.

8. A.K.A. GROUSEGUNNER

A.K.A. GROUSEGUNNER 8 pointer

Dec 6, 2004
    just to clear up the assuptions here. My dad was the owner of four of these dogs. toxicology report came back that they were poisoned. The vet wanted another 500 bucks to find out what exactly poisoned them. Dad said no thanks, their still dead.(my guess is alabama swamp water) the "dog Box" is actually a trailer built into a beagle penthouse on wheels. it allows the dogs to go in & out of the dog box & relieve themselves while on the road, so no way could it have been suffication. they've been making a couple out of state trips a year for several year's, so this wasn't their first rodeo of a road trip. My dad had spent many many days/hours the last 18 months raising two litters of pups from one sire, to get exactly what he was looking for in a pack of hounds. now, it's back to the drawing boards. luckily he was able to buy back two of his daughters & he went to try out a new potential kennel stud today. wish him luck!

9. Peacher79

Peacher79 6 pointer

Aug 8, 2007
    Pine Grove, KY
    My condolences to your Dad and the others. As a dog owner, I always worry about my dogs getting injured or killed while hunting.

10. John24

John24 Fawn

Dec 23, 2011
    This is sad to happen but what is being referred to as Alabama swamp water?

11. A.K.A. GROUSEGUNNER

A.K.A. GROUSEGUNNER 8 pointer

Dec 6, 2004
    they were on they're way back from alabama chasing canecutters in the swamps. I'm guessing some good stagnant swamp water full of parasites got em.